• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

What do we know about Hairston?

Is this a need if we don't sign Bell? Relative to what we saw from last season, would we need an LT at 10?

• JCBills
    • Jan 2010

Re: What do we know about Hairston?

We know he played ok for a rookie when called upon.

Based on what we did see, LT probably isn't in the picture. Could Nix & Co. think so? Maybe.

He did play 472 snaps at LT last season.

PFF.com had him as the #44 OT by their grades, allowing 4 sacks in that time. He graded higher than some notables, but played less snaps than most of them. He played a close amount of snaps to Sam Baker, and graded higher overall.

Metrics aren't the end-all, I know, but they provide a pretty good picture.

Basically between what my eyes saw and PFF's grades, there is reason for hope. He showed potential.

We don't know what he's been doing in the offseason.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Jan 2010

well as we see here he graded pretty well for a rookie LT. he also graded higher than bell in his 2nd year when he first started. considering he is bigger and stronger than bell and has similar movement. i think its more realistic for us to resign bell cheap or draft a lt in the mid rds...

Comment

• elltrain22
        • Sep 2003

I like him, I like him alot. He's got a chance to be pretty good. If he stays healthy, I think he could be a solid Offensive Tackle.
        If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Unlike some others, I think he has the tools and is going to be a good LT. Having said that, I think he regressed a little bit the last half of the season, but with the injury situation who didn't? I also wouldn't be opposed to getting another OT in for the left side and having Hairston shift over to the right eventually.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ThunderGun
            • Dec 2011

I'd still rather have Lynch.

Comment

• Oaf
              • Jun 2007

Pears received an early new contract and appears engraved at RT for short-term. Which is more pressing on offense? #2 WR or #1 LT?

Comment

• JCBills
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Oaf
                Pears received an early new contract and appears engraved at RT for short-term. Which is more pressing on offense? #2 WR or #1 LT?
                All depends on what they do with Bell and if he can stay healthy.

He started off the year very well. I think an OT could be in the mix in the early-mid rounds, but so could a #2 WR.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Oaf
                  If Bell walks then #1 LT is top priority and fill it with Reiff or Martin with pick #10, if both are gone then I need to look at the draft board but if Coples is gone then I likely take WR Floyd only because he looks like better value than some of the alternative DEs.

Comment

• Oaf
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                    If Bell walks then #1 LT is top priority and fill it with Reiff or Martin with pick #10, if both are gone then I need to look at the draft board but if Coples is gone then I likely take WR Floyd only because he looks like better value than some of the alternative DEs.
                    I'm preparing for Bell not coming back. In my mind, it's Hairston or a different player altogether. So your confidence in Hairston is low enough to go Martin at 10. I think my confidence is a little higher. After all, a 4th round pick is the most luxurious pick we invested in two of our last LTs

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                      Even if Bell walks, LT is not the #1 priority. DE/pass rusher is #1

Neither Reiff or Martin is worth the #10 pick in the draft. I would rather take Upshaw if the Bills don't trade down.
                      Last edited by better days; 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

If the Bills stay at their pick and Coples is gone, the pick has to be Floyd or Wright.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

If we have the chance to upgrade the position, then it would be very unwise to pass IMO.

Hairston was solid, but we can upgrade, and Hairston would make a great utility depth guy. Our OL needs depth, so an upgrade creates quality depth

Comes down to whatever player is rated the highest that falls to us at #10, and then we decide if we take that player or trade back
                          Last edited by ddaryl; 03-09-2012, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ddaryl
                            If we have the chance to upgrade the position, then it would be very unwise to pass IMO.

Hairston was solid, but we can upgrade, and Hairston would make a great utility depth guy. Our OL needs depth, so an upgrade creates quality depth

Comes down to whatever player is rated the highest that falls to us at #10, and then we decide if we take that player or trade back
                            What makes more sense, upgrade a position that has a solid player or a position with NO solid players on the team?

Comment

• X-Era
                              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              If the Bills stay at their pick and Coples is gone, the pick has to be Floyd or Wright.
                              Outside shot Blackmon drops... outside. Every year a few guys become late risers and get drafted higher than they were predicted to earlier on in the process.

Last year Aldon Smith made it to 7. Certainly seems to be worth it but he was a late riser.

Guys like Whitney and Brockers could break into the top 15, maybe even 10 for Brockers and push a guy down.

I think it's very unlikely though. I think the Rams deal the 2 pick but still land in the top 10... Browns seems possible. And they could use Blackmon.

His pro-day will be key.

On Hairston, everyone knows I'm a fan. I think the Bills like him more at LT and that they like him overall quite a bit. I would not at all be surprised if we didn't address OT until a mid round.

I think OT could be the pick at 10 if other bigger needs are handled through FA and/or the players at those positions available at 10 aren't worth the pick. That said, I still see a guy like Upshaw or Ingram.
                              Last edited by X-Era; 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X