PDA

View Full Version : Indy looking to trade Freeney

Ickybaluky
03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Makes sense, for them to free up cap space. Per Adam Schefter.

LINK (https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter)

Stewie
03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
How much duct tape and vicodin does he come with?

trapezeus
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
if i was the colts owner, i just went 1-15 with expensive players. i just cut bait with the face of the franchise. i would cut pretty much every other expensive player and start over.

why pay for washed up players, when new, cheaper players will put you at possibly 2-14 or better?

Ickybaluky
03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
How much duct tape and vicodin does he come with?

Freeney may be 32, but he can rush the passer. That is such a valuable skill that there will be interest in Freeney. He has been durable throughout his career and hasn't really had many serious injuries to deal with.

I think the hard part for any team making a deal will be coming up with a new contract. Freeney has a very high salary, so his contract will need to be re-done. At this point in his career, he probably isn't a full-time player anymore. If you limit his snaps to 60% or so he could really help a team. Think of how Bruce Smith stuck around so long because of his one special skill, Freeney could finish his career in a similar manner.

Do you pay big money for a guy who doesn't play every down? That is hard to do, if you sign a guy to a big contract you need him on the field. With Freeney, he will have to take less money up front in exchange for incentives. He will probably still get a sizeable contract, but not along the lines of what he was paid before.

X-Era
03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
He's on the wrong side of 30 which is something Nix isn't a fan of. And his cap hit would be 19 mill and he supposedly won't restructure.

Great player, would help immediately, but has significant speed bumps for us to make that deal. Personally, I'd love it if we could get him to re-do his deal.

stuckincincy
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, there was Ron McDole.

TacklingDummy
03-09-2012, 09:42 AM
He's got 2 years left in his tank especially lining up with Williams on the other end.

justasportsfan
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
He's got 2 years left in his tank especially lining up with Williams on the other end.

Not sure if he's looking to sign a 2 year cap friendly contract that will allow us to grab Marrio.

Stewie
03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
He's on the wrong side of 30 which is something Nix isn't a fan of. And his cap hit would be 19 mill and he supposedly won't restructure.

Great player, would help immediately, but has significant speed bumps for us to make that deal. Personally, I'd love it if we could get him to re-do his deal.

Why would he restructure? The only one who benefits from that situation is the Colts, so they can get something in trade for him. If he won't restructure, no one will take on his contract, and he can choose his destination.

Skooby
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
~$19 M hit, so I can see why they would like to trade him:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/dwight-freeney/

ThunderGun
03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Man, the Colts are gonna be a trainwreck for a while.

I know everybody thinks Luck is a can't miss prospect, but he is definitely not going into a good situation. I wouldn't be shocked if he busts. Not because he's not talented, but just look at what his supporting cast will be.

OLine = garbage
WR's = garbage. All they have left is Collie, who is one concussion away from retirement.
TE's = Clark was awesome....with the best QB ever passing to him. Who knows if he'll be good without Peyton.
Defense = garbage. They kept Mathis, which is good. But Freeney is a goner, and the rest of their defense blows.
First time Head Coach
First time GM, with little experience (he was just a regional scout only 6 years ago)

I'm not saying Luck will bust....but I definitely wouldn't consider him a sure-thing, when you consider the fact that he'll have no talent around him.

ThunderGun
03-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Why would he restructure? The only one who benefits from that situation is the Colts, so they can get something in trade for him. If he won't restructure, no one will take on his contract, and he can choose his destination.

Right, and he doesn't want to play in their new 3-4 scheme anyways.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
@last year of a contract that calls for $14 mil salary and $2.5 mil bonus. Good luck for trade.

The trading partner certainly would want to have a re-done contract to make it happen. I see him as a fall back option for teams failing to get targetted DE in the FA market. But the Colts ain't keeping him for long.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Right, and he doesn't want to play in their new 3-4 scheme anyways.

I don't think scheme matters much. Even base 3-4 teams are in sub-defenses 60%-70% of the time. Freeney fits in those situations.

ThunderGun
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't think scheme matters much. Even base 3-4 teams are in sub-defenses 60%-70% of the time. Freeney fits in those situations.

Well if he's played his entire career with his hand on the ground, and he's now years old, I wouldn't think he'd want to suddenly switch to an OLB.

Rotoworld agrees:

Freeney is not only dead-set against converting to outside linebacker in Chuck Pagano's 3-4 scheme, he's also carrying a prohibitive salary cap figure of $19.035 million. While Freeney is on the wrong side of thirty, he should draw plenty of interest from contenders with 4-3 defenses.

X-Era
03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Why would he restructure? The only one who benefits from that situation is the Colts, so they can get something in trade for him. If he won't restructure, no one will take on his contract, and he can choose his destination.Hence why the only teams that might do it would be the Skins or Cowboys.

better days
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
He is too old to trade anything of value for. Maybe a 6th or 7th rnd pick but that is about all the Colts could expect to get for him. As has been said by Stewie, no reason for him to restructure, wait to get cut like Peyton & choose the team he wants to go to.

X-Era
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
He is too old to trade anything of value for. Maybe a 6th or 7th rnd pick but that is about all the Colts could expect to get for him. As has been said by Stewie, no reason for him to restructure, wait to get cut like Peyton & choose the team he wants to go to.And I'd actually like it better then. Lower cap figure, keep our draft picks, and he'd be cheaper than Williams.

ddaryl
03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
any trade for Freeney comes with a restructured deal, that brings down his salary to a reasonable number for 3 or so years . His pricetag is way to high as it stands now.

a 5th rd pick and he would make a real good situation pass rusher IMO, but an every down DE at this part of his career is quaetionable, and he is likely going ot tail off in overall production. So how much is he really worth. That $19 million guaranteed spread out over 3 years would still be high for such a player

OpIv37
03-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Does Indy actually think anyone will take a trade with that ridiculous cap hit?

Everyone knows they're just going to release him if they don't trade him. And Freeney would be better off because then he could negotiate with any team that wanted him.

And BTW, now Polian's firing starts to make a lot more sense. One player taking up 1/6 of the cap? That's absurd.

Skooby
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Bottom line, take the under on their total wins.

Man, the Colts are gonna be a trainwreck for a while.

I know everybody thinks Luck is a can't miss prospect, but he is definitely not going into a good situation. I wouldn't be shocked if he busts. Not because he's not talented, but just look at what his supporting cast will be.

OLine = garbage
WR's = garbage. All they have left is Collie, who is one concussion away from retirement.
TE's = Clark was awesome....with the best QB ever passing to him. Who knows if he'll be good without Peyton.
Defense = garbage. They kept Mathis, which is good. But Freeney is a goner, and the rest of their defense blows.
First time Head Coach
First time GM, with little experience (he was just a regional scout only 6 years ago)

I'm not saying Luck will bust....but I definitely wouldn't consider him a sure-thing, when you consider the fact that he'll have no talent around him.

Skooby
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Does Indy actually think anyone will take a trade with that ridiculous cap hit?

Everyone knows they're just going to release him if they don't trade him. And Freeney would be better off because then he could negotiate with any team that wanted him.

And BTW, now Polian's firing starts to make a lot more sense. One player taking up 1/6 of the cap? That's absurd.

When do they have to pay Freeney more $$ ? That's the biggest question.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Well if he's played his entire career with his hand on the ground, and he's now years old, I wouldn't think he'd want to suddenly switch to an OLB

He wouldn't have to switch to outside LB. In today's game, most teams are in their base defense less than half the time. The league has become a passing league, which means teams are most often in sub-situations. A sub defense is usually 4 rushers and extra DBs. Thus, even a 3-4 team is going to have 4 guys up front rushing the QB on over half the snaps.

There is a role for Freeney in today's game to play 60% of the snaps on any team, just playing in passing situations. He just wouldn't be a full-time player. At 32, that is how he can be most effective, because he still scares teams as a rusher.

trapezeus
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
OP, i'd take a team that is in win now mode with some old players that might have to be discarded at the end of the run.

if the bills were in this cap hell position, i'd be angry. if its a team that has won consistently and was trying to keep key pieces happy as they got closer, i'm fine with it.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
i wouldnt trade any picks for him. maybe a late pick like a 6th or something... but like everyone said we need him to restructure...

i think he would be plan b behind trying to get wimbley...

Mski
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
if i was the colts owner, i just went 1-15 with expensive players. i just cut bait with the face of the franchise. i would cut pretty much every other expensive player and start over.

why pay for washed up players, when new, cheaper players will put you at possibly 2-14 or better?are you Irsay icognito?

YardRat
03-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Pass.

Bert102176
03-09-2012, 10:41 PM
if not traded he will be cut, but they have to ry and get a taker to give them something so that they don't loos him and get nothing

Night Train
03-10-2012, 07:29 AM
No one will touch that contract. They'll have to cut him.

ServoBillieves
03-10-2012, 07:36 AM
restructure and at most a 5th rounder for him. That is an obscene contract.

Syderick
03-10-2012, 09:06 AM
nothing wrong with being over 30 if he can still play

Ickybaluky
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
If you could work out the contract issues, he would be attractive as a rusher. 100+ sacks over 10 years isn't something that happens everyday, the guy knows how to get pressure on the QB.

better days
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
If you could work out the contract issues, he would be attractive as a rusher. 100+ sacks over 10 years isn't something that happens everyday, the guy knows how to get pressure on the QB.

Well, he only had 19 tackles last year with 8.5 sacks. I would not want to pay him the kind of money he would be looking for.

djjimkelly
03-10-2012, 10:33 AM
freeney will be released no one is taking his current contract