PDA

View Full Version : 10 Teams That No Elite Free Agent Wants to Join

Ed
03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Guess Who's #1 on the list? Yes, our Buffalo Bills. Let's hope Nix can work some magic and prove everyone wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1096959-2012-nfl-free-agency-10-teams-that-no-elite-free-agent-wants-to-join/page/11

dannyek71
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Someone write an article saying how Buffalo is the #1 place for FAs.

justasportsfan
03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
thats because they've never seen canadian ballet

DasBills
03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Eh, who cares? You don't necessarily need "elite" FA's to build a contender. Sure it helps if you can land a Drew Brees (like the Saints did), but there are plenty of teams that built primarily via the draft that have had great success recently (Ravens, Patriots, Giants, to a lesser extent the Texans, Bengals, Steelers, Lions, etc...). This idea that you have to be a player year in and year out in FA is crazy, and there are plenty of examples to back it up. Draft well, sign role players, find success...

Edit: Also, putting together a few winning seasons has a funny way of making you move up that chart. The reason players don't want to go to Buffalo probably has a little to do with the weather, small city feel, etc... but I guarantee you that if the Bills were a winner every year, they wouldn't be #1 on that list.

ddaryl
03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
taxes has a lot to do with this. Players want extra money to cover the extra taxes

perennial losing is the real reason

but IMO we're more attractive then we were 5 years ago

DasBills
03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
taxes has a lot to do with this. Players want extra money to cover the extra taxes

but IMO we're more attractive then we were 5 years agoJust the fact that there's a QB in place for at least the next few years is going to go a long way, in my opinion.

Pinkerton Security
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
i can see pretty much every team being ahead of us on peoples lists except for Jax....they are in a crappy situation and Gabbert didnt exactly look like the savior last year...at least we had some opportunity for a good season (the first 6 weeks). If it werent for MJD that would be easily the worst team in the NFL.

DasBills
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
i can see pretty much every team being ahead of us on peoples lists except for Jax....they are in a crappy situation and Gabbert didnt exactly look like the savior last year...at least we had some opportunity for a good season (the first 6 weeks). If it werent for MJD that would be easily the worst team in the NFL.It probably has a lot to do with where people would prefer to live; NY where you can only go outdoors for 6 months out of the year without protection on, or FL where you have the advantage of beaches and favorable weather 12 months out of the year.

DasBills
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM

but IMO we're more attractive then we were 5 years agoYou know, that's not a bad point.

ThunderGun
03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Report: The sky is blue.

ServoBillieves
03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Here's my astonished face. No seriously here it is. Can't see it? Imagine the most average person with a brain rolling their eyes over some moron who couldn't think of something else to write about.

In other news, FA starts soon, thank God we finally have something that 'journalists' can write about soon.

elltrain22
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
That dude that wrote that article can suck it...

HAMMER
03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Truth hurts.

OpIv37
03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
What the hell is wrong with you people?

We're finally #1 at something and all you can do is ***** about it.

justasportsfan
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM

this should make your day. The bills are no. 1 at something so negative.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I can't see how anyone would want to come to this organization.

ServoBillieves
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

:clap:

stuckincincy
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
i can see pretty much every team being ahead of us on peoples lists except for Jax....they are in a crappy situation and Gabbert didnt exactly look like the savior last year...at least we had some opportunity for a good season (the first 6 weeks). If it werent for MJD that would be easily the worst team in the NFL.

When I watched the CIN-JAX game last season, somehow he reminded me a bit of Kyle Boller.

I've no real opinion about his future, but he seemed a project in the works. JAX might be served by giving him spot duty this year - see what shakes out.

Historian
03-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Waste of bandwidth.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
The Bills are the worst organization in the NFL.

It sucks, but it is true.

!Papacrunk!
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
People consider Bleacher Report a legit site for news? I rank it up there with fan fiction sites.

ServoBillieves
03-09-2012, 12:40 PM
People consider Bleacher Report a legit site for news? I rank it up there with fan fiction sites.

That is SO non-canon!

OpIv37
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Right now everyone is trashing them.

But when they report that the Bills are close to signing Mario Williams or if they predict us to get a wild card at 10-6, then suddenly they'll have credibility again.

X-Era
03-09-2012, 01:08 PM

but IMO we're more attractive then we were 5 years agoThat doesn't apply to the Giants or Jets? Or California teams?

Pinkerton Security
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM

But when they report that the Bills are close to signing Mario Williams or if they predict us to get a wild card at 10-6, then suddenly they'll have credibility again.

i think most rational folks know they're not exactly the most credible source.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM

You do realize that it was a Dolphins fan saying that, don't you?

I don't think he would get all excited about them picking the Bills to win.

Just sayin'...........

Jeff1220
03-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Bleacher Report has few real articles. Most of it consists of collections of lists ("Best FA signings", "Top RBs in the Draft" etc) that freelance (ie. fan) reporters create. Crunk's analogy is mostly accurate.

Johnny Bugmenot
03-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Weather, taxes, injury risk, small market, weak link in the division, history of losing, general lack of talent... this franchise has everything going against it.

That's why I've always said that if they want to win, they have to move. You can get out of New York State, into a climate with nicer weather (Toronto is off the lake bands, so it's still cold, but drier), a larger market, and even LA has slightly lower taxes than NY does.

It doesn't take a Bleacher Report article to figure that one out.

OpIv37
03-09-2012, 02:03 PM
You do realize that it was a Dolphins fan saying that, don't you?

I don't think he would get all excited about them picking the Bills to win.

Just sayin'...........

I'm well aware he's a Dolphins fan.

I'm just saying that a lot of people are trashing BR on here right now, but it will be a different tone when they are saying things that people want to hear.

tampabay25690
03-09-2012, 02:06 PM

You are wrong there.

Come on I live in Tampa and this organization is awful, Miami is pretty bad as well...

ddaryl
03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
It probably has a lot to do with where people would prefer to live; NY where you can only go outdoors for 6 months out of the year without protection on, or FL where you have the advantage of beaches and favorable weather 12 months out of the year.

I have family in Florida, and in the summer they don't go outside but stay indoors in the cool air conditioning. the hot humidity is just as unbearable as a cold day IMO

OpIv37
03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
You are wrong there.

Come on I live in Tampa and this organization is awful, Miami is pretty bad as well...

even Tampa and Miami have been more successful than the Bills over the last decade. Not by much, but they have been.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
You are wrong there.

Tampa has had a Super Bowl title in the last ten years. Miami won the AFC East in the last ten years.

The Bills have the longest playoff drought in the NFL. They have not won a playoff game since the early 90's. They have not beein the playoffs this century, that is now in its second decade.

The Bills last winning record was in 2003. And that year was only 9-7.

The franchise is at the bottom, until they prove otherwise.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM

I'm just saying that a lot of people are trashing BR on here right now, but it will be a different tone when they are saying things that people want to hear.

No more than you will support them when knocking the team and dismiss them if they say something positive.....

Demon
03-09-2012, 02:16 PM

While this is true, it's not the only thing. Buffalo just isn't a marketable place to go for free agents. We're a village in a metropolis sport. The Sabres could never sign any free agents either for the longest time, until Pegula came in and send truck loads of money. Even then, players were iffy, so Pegula flew to meet with some of these guys to waive no trade clauses or to sign.

ddaryl
03-09-2012, 02:17 PM
That doesn't apply to the Giants or Jets? Or California teams?
they are mostly winning organization or more recently consistent teams in major metropolises... Up until just recently the NYG and NYJ were really new Jersey teams< I don't know jersey tax situation, I really don't know Californias either

But in Buffalo its taxes, losing, weather and small city blues, they all are part of the formula

weather and small city blues can be overcome with winning.. Money is dependent on the player, some players don't sweat it, others want every penny they can get

justasportsfan
03-09-2012, 02:21 PM

That happens on EVERY football message board when a rival fan post something negative .

CleveSteve
03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Bleacher Report is a publisher clearinghouse of nobodies. I can be a contributing author to this site. Look who is #2... the only team competing with Miami to land Manning.

DasBills
03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I have family in Florida, and in the summer they don't go outside but stay indoors in the cool air conditioning. the hot humidity is just as unbearable as a cold day IMOYeah, but if you're from the south or California (where the majority of the better players come from), you're going to take the heat and humidity over the 6 inches of snow.

Edit: Also means you're likely closer to your family if you're one of these "elite" players.

Johnny Bugmenot
03-09-2012, 03:51 PM
While this is true, it's not the only thing. Buffalo just isn't a marketable place to go for free agents. We're a village in a metropolis sport. The Sabres could never sign any free agents either for the longest time, until Pegula came in and send truck loads of money. Even then, players were iffy, so Pegula flew to meet with some of these guys to waive no trade clauses or to sign.
Remember, though: that's hockey. Most of these guys have grown up in Canada or the northern U.S. They're less hostile to living in cold weather, especially in a city like Buffalo that is a stone's throw away from most of Canada's population. They wear it as a badge of honor, even. Toronto is their New York and L.A. rolled into one. Hockey's a great fit for Buffalo, as is lacrosse; hence why the Sabres and Bandits have had far more on-ice/on-field success over a long period of time than the Bills have in the NFL.

Football stars, on the other hand, are fostered in places like Texas, Florida, California, and the deep south. Going from a city like that to where the winter lasts from November through March is not a pleasant experience for them. Take a look at Green Bay. How many free agents have they landed? How about Detroit? Minnesota can get some free agents once in a while, but are they any good? Ha! Their success is built almost entirely on the draft. A Canadian who moves south to play for the Tampa Bay Lightning will see it as a bonus, but will live with playing up north-- especially if it's closer to home. However, a Texan probably doesn't take to kindly to moving all the way up to Buffalo to play for a team like the Bills.

BertSquirtgum
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Truth hurts.

No it doesn't

SABURZFAN
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Guess Who's #1 on the list? Yes, our Buffalo Bills. Let's hope Nix can work some magic and prove everyone wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1096959-2012-nfl-free-agency-10-teams-that-no-elite-free-agent-wants-to-join/page/11

this is why The Old Fart needs to sell the team. he's the main reason.

OpIv37
03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
No more than you will support them when knocking the team and dismiss them if they say something positive.....

not true at all. I never defended or supported them in any way. I've never read the site so I don't know enough about them to comment. I merely commented on the way people here are reacting to it.

OpIv37
03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
That happens on EVERY football message board when a rival fan post something negative .

First, the initial post wasn't by a rival fan. It was by one of our own.

Second, the fact that it happens on other football boards doesn't make it any less hypocritical.

I don't know where people on this board got the ridiculous idea that it's OK to make mistakes or do something hypocritical as long as it's also happening somewhere else. It's basically like a six year old thinking "well he started it!" is a legitimate defense when he gets scolded for hitting his brother.

Novacane
03-10-2012, 12:31 PM
You are wrong there.

No state taxes and nice weather will still put them ahead of Buffalo for most FA imo. If you're gonna play for a bad organization you may as well be comfortable and pay less taxes.

OpIv37
03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
No state taxes and nice weather will still put them ahead of Buffalo for most FA imo. If you're gonna play for a bad organization you may as well be comfortable and pay less taxes.

"Comfortable" is subjective.

I'd much rather deal with the cold in Buffalo than the heat and humidity in Florida.

But, since most NFL players these days are from the SEC, they are probably more accustomed to the heat than the cold, so there is probably still a good deal of truth to your point.

Extremebillsfan247
03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
If you paid Mario Williams enough, he'd play for Alaska if they had an NFL team. Just making a point. It has very little to do with location with the majority of NFL free agents, and a lot to do with the contract that sits on the table. If a team like Buffalo wants a player of that caliber, they are probably going to have to pay more than a playoff contender would, but if they are willing to put the cash on the table, I'd bet every zonebuck I've got that he would play here. JMO

better days
03-10-2012, 06:15 PM
First, the initial post wasn't by a rival fan. It was by one of our own.

Second, the fact that it happens on other football boards doesn't make it any less hypocritical.

I don't know where people on this board got the ridiculous idea that it's OK to make mistakes or do something hypocritical as long as it's also happening somewhere else. It's basically like a six year old thinking "well he started it!" is a legitimate defense when he gets scolded for hitting his brother.

Do you mean to tell me "well he started it" is not a legitimate defense?

I say balderdash to that!

better days
03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
If you paid Mario Williams enough, he'd play for Alaska if they had an NFL team. Just making a point. It has very little to do with location with the majority of NFL free agents, and a lot to do with the contract that sits on the table. If a team like Buffalo wants a player of that caliber, they are probably going to have to pay more than a playoff contender would, but if they are willing to put the cash on the table, I'd bet every zonebuck I've got that he would play here. JMO

The problem is John Clayton is reporting that Paul Allen, owner of the Seahawks is willing to put the cash on the table for Mario Williams & Allen has a LOT of cash.

YardRat
03-11-2012, 09:18 AM
How the list should read...

10-NY Giants-Bull**** on Coughlin not being a player's coach. He wins rings, and that's what FA's want.
9-Cincinnati-Their young core is enough to overcome Brown's reputation enough for them to be able to snag one or two guys.
8-Denver-Manning. 6 hours. Would be the biggest FA catch hands down, and more would follow him there.
7-Buffalo-Our rep is getting better, thanks to guys like Dareus, Barnett and Merriman playing recruiter, plus a promising core that we're finally trying to keep.
6-St Louis-Fisher is a decent drawing card, but how long will they be in this city?
5-Oakland-The allure of Silver & Black is still palpable, though waning.
4-Cleveland-This organization is worse off than us, by far. The fans deserve better, but apparently aren't going to get it.
3-Minnesota-Dropping like a rock and desperately, barely, holding on to the franchise. A new stadium would at least give them some stability.
2-Jacksonville-****-hole, plain and simple, for NFL football. Can't sell tix, and could be Mayflower's next big client.
1-Indianapolis-Starting from scratch...couldn't be a worse situation for anybody other than rookies or FA's nobody else wants.

As for elite FA's in general...**** 'em, don't really want them here anyway. More likely than not, by far, they cost too much and under perform their new pay scale anyway. Give me good draft choices and a few decent second tier/mid-level FA's every day of the week, especially on Sunday.

Historian
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
That doesn't apply to the Giants or Jets? Or California teams?

Or the Eagles...6% city wage tax just for working in the city.

YardRat
03-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Do the Giants or Jets actually fall in the NYS category at all considering they are both based in Jersey?

Jets are at Florham Park, NJ and Giants are at East Rutherford.

Turf
03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
It has to do with the fact that our owner is catatonic and no ones running the ship with a desire to win at all costs. As long as Ralphs here, this team is going nowhere.