PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Nix

ghz in pittsburgh
03-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Those of you have been here long enough may remember I have trashed Donahoe ever since he became the GM of the Bills. In fact it was the reason I came here because one of the TBD admin got mad at me for sticking to that line at the time and kicked me out (and I haven't looked back there since).

But one thing I gotta give to Donahoe is that he managed FA contracts really well. He brought people in with right money, Fletcher, TKO, Adams.

I still remember the days when the Bills had to give Kelsay his 1st extension in a sum that surprised Kelsay himself, or the Dockery contract etc.

Buddy Nix, so far, seems to have faired well in that department. The contracts that he dished out more or less matches the talent overall. When the bidding gets too high (last year Poz, Clabo), he did not over-react.

I hope the trend continues next week when FA period starts. For a market like the Bills, he has to be disciplined in that department in order to be successful. I expect he give his target competitive, maybe slightly over offers but won't go overboard. His base is in draft. Perhaps 2010 draft is due to the carry-over scouts from the Modrak era. 2011 looks a lot better and he has kept his words on keeping homegrown talents.

I rate Donahoe a little higher than Nix in those management area because Donahoe was more creative in draft day trades. Nix seems to be a little afraid to make a mistake there. Marv? Do we need to go there?

Skooby
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Those of you have been here long enough may remember I have trashed Donahoe ever since he became the GM of the Bills. In fact it was the reason I came here because one of the TBD admin got mad at me for sticking to that line at the time and kicked me out (and I haven't looked back there since).

But one thing I gotta give to Donahoe is that he managed FA contracts really well. He brought people in with right money, Fletcher, TKO, Adams.

I still remember the days when the Bills had to give Kelsay his 1st extension in a sum that surprised Kelsay himself, or the Dockery contract etc.

Buddy Nix, so far, seems to have faired well in that department. The contracts that he dished out more or less matches the talent overall. When the bidding gets too high (last year Poz, Clabo), he did not over-react.

I hope the trend continues next week when FA period starts. For a market like the Bills, he has to be disciplined in that department in order to be successful. I expect he give his target competitive, maybe slightly over offers but won't go overboard. His base is in draft. Perhaps 2010 draft is due to the carry-over scouts from the Modrak era. 2011 looks a lot better and he has kept his words on keeping homegrown talents.

I rate Donahoe a little higher than Nix in those management area because Donahoe was more creative in draft day trades. Nix seems to be a little afraid to make a mistake there. Marv? Do we need to go there?

Nix had a good looking draft last year, so maybe he'll break out of his shell come this April.

BertSquirtgum
03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I hope he breaks out of his shell on Sunday and signs two great players.

DasBills
03-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I just wonder how much power Nix really has. I don't have any direct knowledge, but I imagine that Ralph still has the final call on everything.

better days
03-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I just wonder how much power Nix really has. I don't have any direct knowledge, but I imagine that Ralph still has the final call on everything.

EVERY owner has the final call on everything.

YardRat
03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Teams are built through the draft...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1990_roster.htm

Look at how much of the Super Bowl rosters were acquired via the draft. The rest were mid-level FA's or 'nobodies' when they were acquired (Tasker, Kelso, Metz, etc) or 'over the hill' vets at best (Lofton, Baldinger...) The only real 'name' acquisition Polian made was Bennett and that was through a block-buster trade on a rookie that had yet to play a down in the NFL.

You don't get wins by throwing big money at big name FA's, you draft the core of your team and supplement that core with judicious acquisitions from the waiver wire and mid- to lower level free agents.

DasBills
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
EVERY owner has the final call on everything.While that may be true, there are plenty of owners who defer to their GM's. I don't get that feeling with Ralph, I don't know why.

DasBills
03-09-2012, 08:13 PM

Look at how much of the Super Bowl rosters were acquired via the draft. The rest were mid-level FA's or 'nobodies' when they were acquired (Tasker, Kelso, Metz, etc) or 'over the hill' vets at best (Lofton, Baldinger...) The only real 'name' acquisition Polian made was Bennett and that was through a block-buster trade on a rookie that had yet to play a down in the NFL.

You don't get wins by throwing big money at big name FA's, you draft the core of your team and supplement that core with judicious acquisitions from the waiver wire and mid- to lower level free agents.:clap:

better days
03-09-2012, 08:28 PM
While that may be true, there are plenty of owners who defer to their GM's. I don't get that feeling with Ralph, I don't know why.

Well, your "feelings" are your "feelings". all you have to do is convey them as fact (right or wrong) & you will be much like some other experts on the internet.

EDS
03-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Buddy did overpay for Kelsay, Brad Smith and possibly Fitzpatrick.
He still has lots of work to do in my book before his tenure can even be considered mediocre.

Jeff1220
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM

You don't get wins by throwing big money at big name FA's, you draft the core of your team and supplement that core with judicious acquisitions from the waiver wire and mid- to lower level free agents.

Sometimes, a team needs to make a splash though...think Reggie White in GB or Brees in NO. Mario Williams is a longshot for the Bills in FA, but he could be that type of signing for this team if they can convince him to give Buffalo a try.

The Jokeman
03-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Nix isn't the contract guy from all the reports I read Jim Overdorf and Russ Brandon are the money guys. Granted Nix is the football mind that helps make those decisions which thnk we lacked after Donahoe left. Yet in listening to Chris Brown's latest free agent report it sounds like we might be targetting to filling two of our "needs" though UFA which Nix seems to think we need a 2nd WR, OT, (one or two) DE(s) and two CBs.

Philagape
03-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Yeah but when your drafts suck you gotta try plan B

better days
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Nix isn't the contract guy from all the reports I read Jim Overdorf and Russ Brandon are the money guys. Granted Nix is the football mind that helps make those decisions which thnk we lacked after Donahoe left. Yet in listening to Chris Brown's latest free agent report it sounds like we might be targetting to filling two of our "needs" though UFA which Nix seems to think we need a 2nd WR, OT, (one or two) DE(s) and two CBs.

Overdorf is the person responsible for contracts & dealing with other teams if Nix wants to make a trade.

Brandon is in charge of marketing.

Nix is in charge of all football operations.

Fixxxer
03-10-2012, 05:51 AM

They are the money guys but Nix sets the value of the player to sign, extend or re-sign. Nix is setting market value with his own roster and sending the message to players and agents that if they produce they will get paid.

For once the penny pinchers are used right in this organization, as instruments for the football guys.
Brandon is a good employee but when he wanted to play GM he had no clue regarding football decisions.

BertSquirtgum
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Niners won't give Alex Smith any money. Nor will they give him the money that's close to "Fitzpatrick's deal because they feel it's not indicative of his value." In other words, they think Fitzpatrick sucks and I agree with them. Buddy screwed the pooch on this one. Should have waited until the end of the year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/10/sanchez-extension-could-hurt-49ers-bid-to-re-sign-alex-smith/#comments

YardRat
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
While that may be true, there are plenty of owners who defer to their GM's. I don't get that feeling with Ralph, I don't know why.

Funny, I 'get the feeling' that he gives them too much rope sometimes. He hires people he thinks he can trust, and then let's them run the show. That's why we had success under Polian, took a first class train to cap hell with Butler, and sucked with trades, draft picks and free agents under Donahoe, Brandon and Levy.

Night Train
03-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Jeff Littman is still Ralphs $$ man, with Overdorf negotiating the terms and running it by him. Brandon is back to marketing and overseeing day to day operations. Nix is strictly football and does nothing with the $$.

BertSquirtgum
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
It appears Night Train works side by side with Buddy and knows exactly how ODB works. :rolleyes:

Meathead
03-12-2012, 06:17 AM
ralph is cheap