PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Wimbley

ghz in pittsburgh
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2012/03/11/wimbley-raiders-at-stalemate/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To review, if Wimbley will get an extra $17.5 million in guaranteed money if he’s on the roster by that date _ his $4.5 million base this season, his $11 million base next season and at least $2 million of his $10 million base in 2014.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Raiders are under cap now. It is the matter of the guaranteed money for the next few years and the decision is now. These NFL contracts are much more trickier than you think.

I'd think the Raiders will defer the decision as late as possible to force Wimbley hand, hoping those teams looking for his service getting some player already by then. Unless, of course the Raiders are hot on someone that they need his $4.5 mil cap room.

It also opens up possibility of a trade option agter 4pm Tueday. However, I doubt teams will like his current contract.

Goobylal
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Wimbley's in the driver's seat here. March 16th is just 3 days after the start of FA, so it's not like teams will have used-up all their money. And there will be a huge market for his services.

A trade is the best solution for both. It gives the Raiders something for losing him and allows them to direct where he's going. As for the trading team, Wimbley is scheduled to average $11M/year for the next 4 years, with no guaranteed money due past this year, so it's not that bad of a contract to absorb, especially considering what Mario Williams will be getting. If I were the Bills, once FA opens up, I'd inquire with the Raiders about a trade.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Well we better do something, otherwise we will be putting hope into a 2nd and 3rd rd pick to give us a pass rush...

methos4ever
03-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Per that PFT article, Raiders are still 7.4 over - so they can't play around too much because they have to be under cap by 4pm tomorrow.

better days
03-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Wimbley's in the driver's seat here. March 16th is just 3 days after the start of FA, so it's not like teams will have used-up all their money. And there will be a huge market for his services.

A trade is the best solution for both. It gives the Raiders something for losing him and allows them to direct where he's going. As for the trading team, Wimbley is scheduled to average $11M/year for the next 4 years, with no guaranteed money due past this year, so it's not that bad of a contract to absorb, especially considering what Mario Williams will be getting. If I were the Bills, once FA opens up, I'd inquire with the Raiders about a trade.

What would you give up in a trade for Wimbley? If the Bills signed him as a FA great, but I would not want to give up draft picks for him.