PDA

View Full Version : Bills $30.8 million under the cap

T-Long
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
According to PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/11/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-11/)

Let's go Buddy....I mean Jim....

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I wonder if we can get mincey and gilberry?

djjimkelly
03-12-2012, 12:19 AM
we have the ammo to do some damage in FA

i dont know why but my gut says we will be trying to truly make a splash this year

sign mario williams buddy

make up for all the missed first round picks this franchise has had and have someone elses first rounder be our man

just like ours go elsewhere let one come here for once

Oaf
03-12-2012, 02:00 AM
We could offer all of it to Mario and he would likely not come here. Kick the tires on John Abraham and sign a speedy yet physical Meachem.

clumping platelets
03-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Subtract tender offers for RFAs Urbik and Rinehart and that will leave closer to $28 million

Night Train
03-12-2012, 05:43 AM
They have to extend Levitre, Byrd & others in addition. Not sure they have as much as people think.

I'm sure Kelsay will be itchy for a new extension, since it's been 6 months since his 11th.

Williams had that torn Pec and that often happens again. Outside of plenty of WR's and some other DL help ( Bryant of Seattle, Jones of Tenny ) I don't see anything that great in FA worth throwing big $$ away.

YardRat
03-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Get some young promising talent in here at a few positions instead of shooting your whole wad on one or two guys.

methos4ever
03-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Careful with Mincey - both ESPN and Joe B of WGR pointed out that out of his 8 sacks, 5 came in 2 games vs the Colts, as well as 3 of his 4 FF.

Meathead
03-12-2012, 06:18 AM
ralph is cheap

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Careful with Mincey - both ESPN and Joe B of WGR pointed out that out of his 8 sacks, 5 came in 2 games vs the Colts, as well as 3 of his 4 FF.
hmm.. didn't know that... that changes things a little for me.

methos4ever
03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
hmm.. didn't know that... that changes things a little for me.
Yeah, Joe B was on WGR Friday I think and mentioned it..then I saw ESPN had it as well on their site, attributed to one of their "scouts".

Funny how that works out.

But I digress - I think for being in 90% percent of the defensive snaps he has the "fanatical effort" Coach W wants in a DL, but we're not going to face a team that's imploded like the Colts last year (on paper at least) this year.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 07:10 AM
ralph is cheap
We'll find out in 32 hours...

SabreEleven
03-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Sweet, $30.8 million more in Ralph's pocket.

SabreEleven
03-12-2012, 07:41 AM
We'll find out in 32 hours...

Really? have you not been paying attention for the last 12 years?

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 07:47 AM
They should go all in on Mario. We won't outbid Washington on Vjax. Prolly not smart to have like 20 mill per year tied up with receivers

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Really? have you not been paying attention for the last 12 years?
Well, let's see if Nix is going to change that trend or not. He said he would, we'll see if he acts on it or will it be another FA period of second tier and third tier FAs.

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Don't see us being in on any of the big names, plenty of 2nd tier talent to swoop up while others teams chase. I have a list of guys I think we should target.

ddaryl
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
this teams needs 1/2 dozen players, we won't be making a huge splash on any 1 player... We will be making calculated moves on 6 or so

And as mentioned above extensions for fred Jackson, Levitre and Byrd this year are also in play, as well as RFA tenders for Urbik and Rhinehart.

justasportsfan
03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Don't see us being in on any of the big names, plenty of 2nd tier talent to swoop up while others teams chase. I have a list of guys I think we should target.

I agree. I think NIx is looking for more Barnetts, in this years FA while continuing to build via the draft.

where's your list?

better days
03-12-2012, 09:08 AM
They should go all in on Mario. We won't outbid Washington on Vjax. Prolly not smart to have like 20 mill per year tied up with receivers

Well, the Skins will have to outbid the Bucs for VJax. One of those teams is going to pay Jackson a LOT of money.

John Clayton has reported the Seahawks will go hard after Mario Williams. Paul Allen has all the money in the World, the question is how much cap space to the Hawks have.

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I agree. I think NIx is looking for more Barnetts, in this years FA while continuing to build via the draft.

where's your list?

Posted later.

better days
03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Well, let's see if Nix is going to change that trend or not. He said he would, we'll see if he acts on it or will it be another FA period of second tier and third tier FAs.

Nix said the Bills would go after FA players from day one, but he did not know if the Bills would land any of the top guys. I think there are too many teams after Jackson & Williams for the Bills to have a real shot at either of those two.

ddaryl
03-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Giants: $3.8 million over.
Texans: $4.7 million over.
Panthers: $5.3 million over.
Raiders: $7.4 million over.
Lions: $11.5 million over.
Cardinals: $16.4 million over.

if the Arizona Cardinal are over, how are they i the manning hunt ?

Who gets released form these teams by tomorrow ?

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Half the Cardinals players would probably agree to restructures to bring Manning in. I know Dockett would and he has one of the biggest contracts I believe.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM

Giants will trade us Umenyiora to get under the cap.

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Giants will trade us Umenyiora to get under the cap.

Not sure I'd be interested. Plenty of other younger, cheaper, and healthier options via FA or draft.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Not sure I'd be interested. Plenty of other younger, cheaper, and healthier options via FA or draft.
Only one better in FA is Mario. Draft is obviously never sure so Umenyiora as of now is the best option. The draft has some very questionable talent at DE when you talk about top 10 picks. Coples would be the only one I want. After that its a bunch of guys who have question marks (even Coples).

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Only one better in FA is Mario. Draft is obviously never sure so Umenyiora as of now is the best option. The draft has some very questionable talent at DE when you talk about top 10 picks. Coples would be the only one I want. After that its a bunch of guys who have question marks (even Coples).

Im not interested in trading draft picks for a vet who is of his age and injury history. If he was 3-4 years younger absolutely, but he'll be about done by the time this team is ready. We aren't just 1-2 years away and that's the issue in bringing in Osi.

See the Falcons with Abraham, they brought him in early and now he is about done and they need a pass rusher almost as badly as we do.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Im not interested in trading draft picks for a vet who is of his age and injury history. If he was 3-4 years younger absolutely, but he'll be about done by the time this team is ready. We aren't just 1-2 years away and that's the issue in bringing in Osi.

See the Falcons with Abraham, they brought him in early and now he is about done and they need a pass rusher almost as badly as we do.
Ya I agree with this. Osi is not my first choice at all because of his age and cost to get him. If it was a 3rd round pick though I might do it.

Freeney although older might be better because he would be cheaper and won't cost draft picks.

Oaf
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
We aren't just 1-2 years away and that's the issue in bringing in Osi.

Every team is 1-2 years away. If the move is there, make it.

DrGraves
03-12-2012, 11:38 AM
my god with that amount of space we can sign williams and jackson and still have plenty of cash left over. No excuses this year.

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
does anyone know what our CASH TO CAP number is currently?

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
does anyone know what our CASH TO CAP number is currently?
I think all CASH TO CAP means is that all of a player's signing bonus is counted in the year he signs the contract.

So if Mario is signed for 15 mil per year for 5 years with a 15 mil signing bonus all our cap space is used up as the Bills see it because that would be a total of 30 mil which is our real cap.

Whereas if another normal franchise signs him he would only cost 15 mil plus 3 mil which is the mortgaged value of the signing bonus over the 5 year contract.

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I think all CASH TO CAP means is that all of a player's signing bonus is counted in the year he signs the contract.

So if Mario is signed for 15 mil per year with a 15 mil signing bonus all our cap space is used up as the Bills see it.

Yes that is what it means so this 30 million number may not be the Cash to Cap number it doesn't include signing bonuses of Stevie, Chandler, Morrison

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Yes that is what it means so this 30 million number may not be the Cash to Cap number it doesn't include signing bonuses of Stevie, Chandler, Morrison
So basically our FA period is over!

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Every team is 1-2 years away. If the move is there, make it.

No they aren't, this team has almost no depth at key positions like WR, OT, DE, OLB, or CB.

We generate nearly zero pass rush, and our QB is extremely inconsistent on a week to week basis.

We can run the ball, showed an improved pass protection last year, and have two good DT's.

We are not 1-2 years away.

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
So basically our FA period is over!

you also have to put aside a chunk for rookie signings so what I am trying to say is this number that the Bills are willing to spend on FAs in a cash to cap sense may be in the 15-20 million range not 30 million which would not last long at all if we went after a big name

trapezeus
03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
does the $30.8MM include the money the bills have to sign their draft picks? and if you have the picks the bills have, what is the expected cost of signing their entire set of picks? then we'll know how much money they have for FA.

I'm of the opinion, the FA need to be good second tier people and your rely on bringing up you drafted players.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2012, 12:02 PM
We should get mincey and gilberry!

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
does the $30.8MM include the money the bills have to sign their draft picks? and if you have the picks the bills have, what is the expected cost of signing their entire set of picks? then we'll know how much money they have for FA.

I'm of the opinion, the FA need to be good second tier people and your rely on bringing up you drafted players.

The Bills are nowhere near 30.8 if they are maintaing the cap to cash system. Number is at least 10 million lower.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
We should get mincey and gilberry!
Mincey I was advocating till someone mentioned that 5 of his 8 sacks came against the Colts. Gilberry has never done much so not sure why you want him so bad.

If we don't get Mario, Freeney or Wimbley I don't want to just waste money on anyone else. Maybe Mark Anderson. But otherwise it would be just spending for the sake of filling a spot. Kelsay already does that.

Use the cap space for OT or WR.

ServoBillieves
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
We have... ha... have... 1... 16... *cough* *snort* *vomit*... 16 defensive lineman at the moment... When can we cut these losers and get more credible help? I'll give you a quick rundown...

Kyle Moore, Lionel Dotson, Jarron Gilbert, Jay Ross. Pair that with Kellen Heard, and countless 3-4 DE's transferred to DT and 3-4 OLB's transferred to DE... That entails Batten, Eddins, Carrington, and so on and so on... what the hell is this defense supposed to even f*#$ing look like?

ddaryl
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I haven't heard Nix and Company say they would be using cash to cap this year. I have heard them say they will spend to the cap

and in 2013 I believe they have to spend to a % of the cap so Cash to Cap is no longer and issue IMO

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
We have... ha... have... 1... 16... *cough* *snort* *vomit*... 16 defensive lineman at the moment... When can we cut these losers and get more credible help? I'll give you a quick rundown...

Kyle Moore, Lionel Dotson, Jarron Gilbert, Jay Ross. Pair that with Kellen Heard, and countless 3-4 DE's transferred to DT and 3-4 OLB's transferred to DE... That entails Batten, Eddins, Carrington, and so on and so on... what the hell is this defense supposed to even f*#$ing look like?
Ya I don't get why guys like Edwards and Sp.Johnson haven't been cut already. Unless it makes no difference cap wise whether they cut them now or during camp.

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I haven't heard Nix and Company say they would be using cash to cap this year. I have heard them say they will spend to the cap

and in 2013 I believe they have to spend to a % of the cap so Cash to Cap is no longer and issue IMO

As I mentioned in another thread. Relisten to the season ending press conference that Buddy Nix did.

his answer was Ralph does not tell me I can't spend to the cap and we intend on doing that.

Then a reporter asked, do you mean cash to the cap?

Buddy nix responded, YES.

YardRat
03-12-2012, 01:16 PM

When the percentage kicks in it is cash to cap accounting, I believe.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
As I mentioned in another thread. Relisten to the season ending press conference that Buddy Nix did.

his answer was Ralph does not tell me I can't spend to the cap and we intend on doing that.

Then a reporter asked, do you mean cash to the cap?

Buddy nix responded, YES.
yup.