PDA

View Full Version : Signing Bonus Numbers

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
As Clump pointed out earlier our cap number is actually closer to 28 million after the RFA tenders, but since we employ cash to cap philosophy the number is even lower after the Stevie and Chandler extensions. Their signing bonuses count towards this years cap.

Does anybody know what their SB was? Clump?

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 12:02 PM
As Clump pointed out earlier our cap number is actually closer to 28 million after the RFA tenders, but since we employ cash to cap philosophy the number is even lower after the Stevie and Chandler extensions. Their signing bonuses count towards this years cap.

Johnson's bonus is 8.5 million.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/06/bills-wr-johnsons-deal-includes-8-5-million-signing-bonus/

clumping platelets
03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
SJ rec'd a $8.5 millino signing bonus. Do not know Chandler's numbers yet

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
So without knowing Chandler's number we are actually closer to 20?

Correct?

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
plus take out a chunk for rookie signings and the Bills aren't left with a whole lot to spend on guys like Vjax or williams

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
plus take out a chunk for rookie signings and the Bills aren't left with a whole lot to spend on guys like Vjax or williams

Which is why they will not be in the running for them as Ive been saying for weeks.

clumping platelets
03-12-2012, 12:13 PM
The reported numbers are not cash to cap....they are cap space

After tenders, Bills will have about $28 million cap space..........I do not know cash to cap right now

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Which is why they will not be in the running for them as Ive been saying for weeks.
I think everyone knows we are not going to be in the running. But everyone also knows that we SHOULD.

No one in the league has a bigger need at pass rusher than us combined with our cap space. But of course, we'll look in the trash bin for a "value" buy.

clumping platelets
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Also, the reported numbers already include SJ 2012 cap hit of $4.3 million

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
The reported numbers are not cash to cap....they are cap space

After tenders, Bills will have about $28 million cap space..........I do not know cash to cap right now
From my understanding cash to cap is not a figure to be known. Its an accounting method that causes you to use your league approved cap space more conservatively. So really, cash to cap depends on the FAs you sign.

Is that not correct?

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
So if we employ Cash to Cap still we are around 20, with Chandler's bonus unknown.

Even though are actual cap space is closer to 28.

Mahdi
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Also, the reported numbers already include SJ 2012 cap hit of $4.3 million
Ya that's the regular cap hit. But for the Bills, Stevie's cap hit is bigger than that...

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
From my understanding cash to cap is not a figure to be known. Its an accounting method that causes you to use your league approved cap space more conservatively. So really, cash to cap depends on the FAs you sign.

Is that not correct?

Cash to Cap is ACTUAL dollars spend whereas the actual Cap uses an accounting method to amortize the bonuses across the contract term.

Cash to Cap is easier to manage which is why many teams use it.

Any player the Bills sign this year, or any bonuses paid on existing contracts gets added to this year's Cash to cap number in real dollars.

In other words, the Bills reach their spending limit much faster than they would if they used a regular cap number because they include all the bonuses in full value, but they have better flexibility to make moves in the future because its more conservative

methos4ever
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article754221.ece
Per Gaughn:

The Bills are $20.9 million under their projected salary cap for the 2012 season, according to News figures. They stand $32.8 million under their cap in terms of actual cash spending, the News estimates. Those totals do not count the new contract signed Thursday by tight end Scott Chandler.

The Bills' projected adjusted cap stands at $132.09 million, league sources have told The News. The Bills have $111.2 million committed to cap spending and $99.3 million committed to cash spending, according to News figures (not counting the Chandler deal).

So in cash to cap they actually have more money available, pre-tenders.

stuckincincy
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Cash to Cap is ACTUAL dollars spend whereas the actual Cap uses an accounting method to amortize the bonuses across the contract term.

Cash to Cap is easier to manage which is why many teams use it.

Any player the Bills sign this year, or any bonuses paid on existing contracts gets added to this year's Cash to cap number in real dollars.

In other words, the Bills reach their spending limit much faster than they would if they used a regular cap number because they include all the bonuses in full value, but they have better flexibility to make moves in the future because its more conservative

Good advice for the Federal Government.

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article754221.ece
Per Gaughn:

So in cash to cap they actually have more money available, pre-tenders.

That 32.8 is misleading since later in the article he says 15+ will be taken by rookies.

clumping platelets
03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Cash to cap is how much a team actually spends towards player contract in a given year

SJ's cap number for 2012 is $4.3 million ($8.5 million divided by 5 yrs)

SJ's cash to cap for 2012 is $11.1 million (all $8.5 million paid in 2012 League Year

Cash to cap number vs cap number can vary widely based upon structure of a contract

DraftBoy
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Cash to cap is how much a team actually spends towards player contract in a given year

SJ's cap number for 2012 is $4.3 million ($8.5 million divided by 5 yrs)

SJ's cash to cap for 2012 is $11.1 million (all $8.5 million paid in 2012 League Year

Cash to cap number vs cap number can vary widely based upon structure of a contract

Did you read the BN piece that methos posted? Do you come to the same rough numbers that Gaughn does?

We need our capologist back!!!

ddaryl
03-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Still perplexed why people are so sure we are going cash to cap this season

and in 2013 every team has to spend to a % of the cap anyways

Are you/we sure the Bills will stick with cash to cap this year, or are we just thinking we will.

if we are going cash to cap then we won't be players in FA and Nix said we would be

mrbojanglezs
03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Still perplexed why people are so sure we are going cash to cap this season

and in 2013 every team has to spend to a % of the cap anyways

Are you/we sure the Bills will stick with cash to cap this year, or are we just thinking we will.

if we are going cash to cap then we won't be players in FA and Nix said we would be

Buddy Nix said in his press conference that they use Cash to Cap

jamze132
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Same ole Bills, regardless of whatever method they use. We aren't getting any top tier FAs. We're Dollar General bargain hunters.

clumping platelets
03-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Did you read the BN piece that methos posted? Do you come to the same rough numbers that Gaughn does?

We need our capologist back!!!

Yes, I did read that article.....Buffalo News does not have a good record of accuracy on cap figures but Gaughan, et al do not calculate or estimate........many media outlets have access to cap info via NFLPA website. Since I do not qualify as media, I cannot gain access. Not even to salaries

When I had access and contacts, my numbers were used by media (Ed Kilgore) and were far superior

Still SJ's 2012 cap hit is much less than his cash to cap. Which was the purpose of my post