X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

Tight Ends

I just got the new issue of the Sporting News magazine today, and Allen Wilson wrote about Bills WR's, but he also talked about tight ends which made me think. You guys think the loss of Riemersma will cost us alot?

Here's the quote from the magazine from the Team Insider Report:

"The Bills lost an excellent receiver in TE Jay Riemersma, but they expect free agent Mark Campbell to fill that void and be a run blocker. Blocking is TE Dave Moore's forte, but he can be a good receiving target, particularly in the red zone."

What kind of an impact do you think Campbell will have with us? I like Campbell, i never thought he was a super star or anything, but he always stood out when i watched the Browns play. He's got solid hands and i think Bledsoe will use him well.

Also in Wilson's Bills Team insider report, he says Pierson Prioleau is the favorite to start at FS.

Thoughts?
    Impossible is Nothing.

• TedMock
    • Jul 2002

He's a very good blocker. I've seen him catch the ball but nothing that stands out. If anything, he's a big target. Moore actually cathches better than people give him credit for. I totally agree with the Prioleau statement. I think he's going to be the pleasant surprise on defense. He was a very good SS and moved to FS last season. After an adjustment period he started looking good the end of last year. He's a good ballplayer and we'll all be very happy with him at FS.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Oh no...not this thread again Don't allow MyBills in here.

Comment

• Wys Guy
        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
        • Jul 2002

Moore is a great pass catcher. I never understood this "he can catch in the red zone" mentality!

He can either catch or he can't. This is one of those things where a player gets a stigma based on circumstances. He was on a team that was allergic to throwing the ball and which had a coach who didn't know what a passing game was for 10 seasons. Given that, he still put up decent #s for a TE.

Moore can catch just fine and can block as well. It all depends upon how we use him. If he's downfield, then he'll be fine, we'll be fine. We all know that Bledsoe's short and medium game isn't exactly gonna be featured at the NFL's passing clinic for kids anytime soon. So it all really boils down to how we set up our O.

Moore is fine. Campbell's done less than Moore in terms of catching the ball. So if Campbell can catch, then so can Moore. I'll take Moore as a blocker any day of the week. There's no question that Moore will start and Campbell will be the #2.
        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
          Expert on Experts
          • Jul 2002

the loss of riemersma was great. Better blocking TE's, and more cap room. I'm happy.

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

JR averaged 2 catches/game last year and dropped a bunch of balls. He won't be missed.

Last year we dropped back to throw ~ 40 times/game.

The average # of attempts/game was 38.

A ~ 60% completion rate meant ~ 23 completions/game on average.

If the # of attempts on average drops by say 5, to around 530 on the season, assuming the same completion rate, there'll be 20 completions to go around on average.

Moulds: 6
            Reed: 4
            Henry: 3-4
            Moore: 2
            3rd WR: 2
            Other FB/RB: 2-3

JR and his dropped balls won't be missed...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• ryven
              • Jan 2003

If campbell can work on catching the ball and get fairly good at he may make a run for #1 TE im kind of HIGH on the kid and I think he has great potential.

Comment

• SamAdamsFan
                • Jun 2003

I bet Campbell will be a good number 1 TE. Another good thing is that he has not even reached his prime yet, so he could be on the team for a long time.
                "'I get to come off the pill (the football) and destroy everything I touch,' Adams said Monday, a day after agreeing to a four-year contract. 'That's what I've got to do, come off the pill, seek and destroy. The last time I checked, I hadn't seen many guys who can do it better. In fact, I haven't seen any.' He has a point." - The Buffalo News

Comment

• ryven
                  • Jan 2003

we probably dont need another TE but does anyone know if the steelers released there old TE or did they resign him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryven
                    we probably dont need another TE but does anyone know if the steelers released there old TE or did they resign him.
                    If we can find an injured one , only then will TD sign them. Both our TE's are healthy and that's uncharacteristic of TD.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TedMock
                      • Jul 2002

I think Moore's the starter but we go with both quite often. I think Moore is a little better overall both blocking and catching but I think Campbell is good and will get better. Cleveland had a pretty solid running game and he was part of that. We'll see a lot of 2 TE sets and Campbell could be a nice target over the middle because of his size.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SamAdamsFan
                        I bet Campbell will be a good number 1 TE. Another good thing is that he has not even reached his prime yet, so he could be on the team for a long time.
                        Indeed, he may very well be, but he'll have to prove it first. Thus far in this league, he's only proven to be a decent blocker.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ryven
                          Yea, Miami signed him in March, he's the backup to McMicheal.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Remiersma's real strength was his ability to read the defence like the QB he was in college. Reading the defence, he was able to find the seams in the zone just about as well as any TE in the league. He wasn't real fast, but he could move. Supposedly he had good hands, but he had a lot of drops over the last couple years as a Bill.

Neither Moore nor Campbell have much speed at all. I don't think they are supposed to be anything special as route runners. They are both solid blockers. They both have good hands. For the things Gilbride wants his TEs to do they will be just fine.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Doc
                              • Dec 2002

The old Steelers TE to whom ryven is referring is Mark Bruener and they haven't released him because he's still deciding whether or not to take a paycut. If he doesn't, he's gone and probably a Bills within a matter of days.

Comment

Working...
                              X