PDA

View Full Version : Mario Madness - what about current players' future contracts?

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Williams will cost a lot of $.

The Bills must surely have important players whose contracts will be over next year or after that, or those who merit a contract extension. Here in CIN, DE Carlos Dunlap, DE/LB Michael Johnson, TE Jermaine Gresham, DT Gino Atkins' contracts are up in 2013, and also in '13, they can negotiate extensions with QB Dalton and WR Green.

The Bills' piggy bank isn't bottomless.

OpIv37
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Who?

Johnson's locked up, Fitz is locked up, K Williams is locked up for 3 or 4 years, Levitre just signed.... the only one we have to worry about is Fred Jackson and he's a 32 year old RB.

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Who?

Johnson's locked up, Fitz is locked up, K Williams is locked up for 3 or 4 years, Levitre just signed.... the only one we have to worry about is Fred Jackson and he's a 32 year old RB.

Thanks for the info. It's heartening to know that there's not much of the roster in danger of getting plucked away by other clubs...

:phew:

:pimped:

BloFan4Life
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Cap expected to take a pretty big jump next season and go up from there.

OpIv37
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info. It's heartening to know that there's not much of the roster in danger of getting plucked away by other clubs...

:phew:

:pimped:

yeah we're in good shape with the main guys and as the cap goes up, we'll have more space.

Also, Buffalo is notorious for front-loading deals, so with the exception of Stevie, all of our guys have low cap numbers in the out years on their contracts.

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
yeah we're in good shape with the main guys and as the cap goes up, we'll have more space.

Also, Buffalo is notorious for front-loading deals, so with the exception of Stevie, all of our guys have low cap numbers in the out years on their contracts.

Cap space is an invention. It's like saying that I have been given permission to pay up to $200,000 for my crappy little 1,500 sq. ft. house. Oh, what a joy.

Money is money.

better days
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Cap space is an invention. It's like saying that I have been given permission to pay up to $200,000 for my crappy little 1,500 sq. ft. house. Oh, what a joy.

Money is money.

Money is money, but it matters how you spend it.

The Bills pay up front which means they don't owe any money down the road. It is like paying cash for a car. Some teams spread the payment over time like a car payment. Which means they have to budget that money in future years.

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Money is money, but it matters how you spend it.

The Bills pay up front which means they don't owe any money down the road. It is like paying cash for a car. Some teams spread the payment over time like a car payment. Which means they have to budget that money in future years.

Yes. It's called upkeep.

better days
03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes. It's called upkeep.

No, upkeep is changing the oil, buying a battery. SMALL amount of money. Some teams put off a LOT of money until the future.

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
No, upkeep is changing the oil, buying a battery. SMALL amount of money. Some teams put off a LOT of money until the future.

Well - I find it a bit hard to gin up much support for the club's modus operandi, being shut out of the playoffs since 1999...

Meathead
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
dareus is going to get a http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4832/monstericon.jpg deal in three years

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 10:35 AM
dareus is going to get a http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4832/monstericon.jpg deal in three years

From which team?

Joe Fo Sho
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Sooo...I guess you could say that whole cash to cap thing has actually paid of in this case.

better days
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Well - I find it a bit hard to gin up much support for the club's modus operandi, being shut out of the playoffs since 1999...

The reason has not been because of cash to cap. Many teams do that besides the Bills. It is like the old saying you can pay me now or pay me later.

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
The reason has not been because of cash to cap. Many teams do that besides the Bills. It is like the old saying you can pay me now or pay me later.

So I can pay you for garbage now or pay you for garbage later. Nice.

better days
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
So I can pay you for garbage now or pay you for garbage later. Nice.

Yeah, the Bills paid for a lot of garbage in the PAST. If Williams signs, I would not call him garbage.

OpIv37
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Sooo...I guess you could say that whole cash to cap thing has actually paid of in this case.

Not necessarily.

First we have to win. Then you could argue that "cash to cap" paid off.

But if we don't use the money saved with "cash to cap" to get the right players and win now, then we sacrificed opportunities to add talent in the past for no benefit.

kingJofNYC
03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Who?

When did Levitre get resigned? He's a FA next year, so is Byrd, and the following year we have Wood.

Next season it's Byrd/Fred/Levitre, I hope we can sign two of the three, I think Fred's gone. Got crucified for saying so last night, but it's the truth. You're not going to sign Mario to some mega deal and then ink a 31 year old running back to an extension, when you also have to sign one of the better young G and FS in the league.

Joe Fo Sho
03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Not necessarily.

First we have to win. Then you could argue that "cash to cap" paid off.

But if we don't use the money saved with "cash to cap" to get the right players and win now, then we sacrificed opportunities to add talent in the past for no benefit.

Well, obviously there's a difference between signing the right and the wrong players. All I'm saying is that there MAY not have been a chance to get Mario if we didn't use the Cash to Cap philosophy, which I'm actually a fan of...even though I may not understand everything about it. Either way, right now, Mario Williams is the right player for this team.

dannyek71
03-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Who?

Eric Wood? Byrd?

There are a few guys.