PDA

View Full Version : It's always cloudy in Buffalo

Don't Panic
03-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Some people on this board never cease to amaze me. We get the #1 defensive player in FA, a top 5 defender in the whole league as well, in for a visit and still the sky is falling. Obviously we want to get him signed, but how is trying and not succeeding worse than not trying at all? I cannot philosophically understand that. And now not only would not getting him be a setback, but to some people it would pretty much mean the end of any potential success for football in Buffalo for the foreseeable future? Wow.

One of the fatal flaws of Buffalo, which I was born and spent twenty plus years of my life, and its sports teams, which I have been a fan of since birth, is the unbelievable negative spin many of their fans can put on the situation at hand... continuously. The skies are truly always cloudy over the region.

If we miss on Mario, which we may or may not, we still have ample opportunity to continue to shore up our weaknesses in this offseason and put a competitive team on the field. I applaud Buddy and Co. for their aggressive approach. Only good can come from it in the long run.

ThunderGun
03-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Well, if Nix hadn't called his shot, and said that we were gonna make "a big splash", and "make the league take notice", we wouldn't look so pathetic when we swing and miss.

Bringing guys in for a visit doesn't necessarily translate to wins. I guess the league will take notice, but only to laugh at us.

OpIv37
03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
The thing is that we've always thought it was about the money- that we didn't get top FA's because we were cheap.

Well, the Bills offered Mario a spectacular contract, so if he turns us down, that means money is NOT the issue. It means the issue is something much more fundamental about the organization, and top free agents really DON'T want to come here. And future efforts from Nix and Co will likely have the same result.

That's a scary prospect.

dannyek71
03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Give me one reason why I should be optimistic after the last 15 years? What magic has Buddy given us in the last few years? While the jury is still out on the 2011 draft class, 2010 was a disaster.

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
A OK, everything's goin' our way...

trapezeus
03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
without being so emotionally tied to last year, we went through a round of injuries that depth couldn't handle. but with a FA or two and a solid set of picks, the bills could get talent and depth and they resigned the working pieces. Ummm...things are getting better on paper.

We have to see what happens during the season, but it's better than watching the decent pieces leave.

BLeonard
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Obviously we want to get him signed, but how is trying and not succeeding worse than not trying at all? I cannot philosophically understand that. And now not only would not getting him be a setback, but to some people it would pretty much mean the end of any potential success for football in Buffalo for the foreseeable future? Wow.

Here's the thing... No, trying and not succeeding is not worse than not trying at all. But, when you're telling everyone that you have 2 targets and you plan to be done with FA by Friday, you'd better damn sure come through on at least one of them... Especially since you are the only team that hasn't made the playoffs in the 21st century.

Here's my question: If they fail to bring in either Mario or Meachem (and Meachem is already gone) is trying to get them enough for you to give tthe front office a pass, based on them "trying?"

For me, trying and failing would not be enough. Reason being? Nix himself said "Show me the baby." Again, if he wants to have this "straight shootin'" reputation and that when he says something, it gets done, he'd better not miss more than he hits.

Try not... Do, or do not... There is no try. - Yoda

-Bill

stuckincincy
03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
The sun'll come up tomorrow, tomorrow,
Bet your bottom dollar on tomorrow, it's only, a day, away !!!!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
trying and not succeeding = players refuse to come here even if the money is sick

Don't Panic
03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Let me add a caveat... if you have come to the conclusion that its not just poor leadership, its not just money, then what is it? Good players will follow success, which although we haven't had for a while can still come even if Mario Williams leaves us at the altar.

As for Buddy saying we were going to make a splash, that is exactly what I would hope my GM would say. Rather that than say nothing and buy subpar FAs at above market value prices.

OpIv37
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Let me add a caveat... if you have come to the conclusion that its not just poor leadership, its not just money, then what is it? Good players will follow success, which although we haven't had for a while can still come even if Mario Williams leaves us at the altar.

As for Buddy saying we were going to make a splash, that is exactly what I would hope my GM would say. Rather that than say nothing and buy subpar FAs at above market value prices.

It IS poor leadership. Offering to throw money around does not necessarily make leadership good. It means there is something flawed within the organization that is scaring FA's away.

Maybe it's Ralph himself and his meddling. Maybe it's Nix or Gailey (although the players seem to like Gailey so I doubt that's it). Maybe it's just a lack of potential for winning. Maybe it's the uncertain future of the team in Buffalo. I really don't know if any of this is true or not- I'm just speculating on potential reasons.

But, at the end of the day, if Mario doesn't sign, it means Ralph, Nix and Co really HAVE created an organization where top players don't want to play. It would be nice to know why, but the why becomes irrelevant because the end result is the same regardless of the reason.

baalworship
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Some people are just negative. If he doesn't sign here I will believe it's because we are a losing franchise and he was not convinced we are getting better. If that happened does this mean he is right? Of course not. Maybe we are getting better, maybe are not. Last year had to mess with people on either side of the fence.

Don't Panic
03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Well what do you know... the sun peaked through the clouds just this once.

Mski
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Well what do you know... the sun peaked through the clouds just this once.literally, and figuratively

elltrain22
03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Here's some more sun thats gonna shine. By signing Mario Williams, we've effectively taken Miami out of the Peyton Manning sweepstakes!! There's somemore sunshine.