PDA

View Full Version : Why building via FA does not work

Mike
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
You have heard this phrase before. If you look at any team in the NFL, it is comprised f both FA & draftees. Now is one strategy better than the other? After all a player is a player, right?

here are my 2cents:
The reason why the statement has truth: assuming your trying to build a SB team.
1) you will need top talent
2) top talent very rarely lands in FA
Conclusion: you can not depend on FA to get best players

*this is self evident: the Brady's of the world never hit FA*

All of that being said, when TOP talent does hit FA in the correct areas of need & impact you do everything in your power to get that talent. Ala Mario Williams. There are posters on here that are convinced that signing top FA is a bad idea because of idea that you should build exclusively via the draft.

Go Go Buffalo14574
03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
I think over spending 4 top talent but over spending 4 one year wonder's or middle players is bad. I think this is why the other GM's or personal in Buffalo did not work over spend one year wonder's or middle talent and questionable answers like not resigning Pat Williams or getting a systeme but cutting the best players in it. Nix is doing what is smart IMO. Maybe best GM since Bill Polian days.

Buffalogic
03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Ya but it makes our draft strategy clearer and improves teams instantly instead of waiting for development. FA is a band aid. Draft you have to raise them.

SquishDaFish
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Posting in that thread you bumped wasnt enough u had to make a thread on it too??

Cali512
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Thats why we drafted and got cheaper young players in free agent. That way the 3rd year we knew what we needed and can get impact players and then the draft. Like Nix said, now we can narrow it down to 4-5 needs, so now we can spend the money on one or 2 of those without worrying bout having a huge glarring hole because of it

THRILLHO
03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Didnt you make a thread that was the opposite yesterday?

Cali512
03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=210323&highlight=mike

yup he did

kingJofNYC
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Draft well, supplement young controllable talent with vet FA signings, that's how the good teams do it.

BertSquirtgum
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
The Bills already started to build a back bone with the last 2 years of drafts. It was time to try and bring in a couple key players to get them over the hump.

ServoBillieves
03-14-2012, 05:19 PM
"Why opening Mike threads via Billszone.com does not work"

Or Mitchell55... maybe Skooby? Whoever it is...

YardRat
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm glad you listened to me, and learned.

You're welcome.

Mike
03-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Didnt you make a thread that was the opposite yesterday?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...highlight=mike
yup he did

You guys should REALLY Read both threads. They are complimentary. Besides I wanted to give the 'naysayers' the real reason. Here is a breif:

1. FA can be a great way to get talent
2. FA is less risky but more expensive than drafting
3. Drafted players takes 3-5 years to develop at which point their rookie contracts will end, they will become FA and you will be Paying Market Price to keep them.
Conclusion: FA is a great way to get talent and a better way to filling needs than the draft.

However....The Problem with FA
1. Best Players in Key Positions rarely become FA (eg: QB)
2. You need those Great Players to become dominant team
Conclusion: Most likely, you will have to draft those players (eg Franchise QB)

(NOTE: this has nothing to do with overpaying FA or making the wrong personnel decisions. You can miss and overspend on a rookie just the same way you do with an FA. In fact, teams miss more often in the draft than FA and it probably costs some teams more money)

BTW: This is why FA hits first then the draft. FA is more effective way of filling holes. Its common knowledge in the NFL that you 'draft for the needs you could not fill in FA' opposed to it being the other way around 'getting FA for needs you could not draft'.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-15-2012, 01:41 AM
i think when you are in phase 1 of building your team you get a solid qb. someone that gives you a shot to win each week...

phase 2 is building a great dline and more specifically a great pass rush...

phase 3 is getting as many picks as possible in the first 2 years and hitting on those picks as much as possible... obviously building the lines first...

phase 4 happens in year 3... you will probably have a few key needs... this is where fa comes in...