PDA

View Full Version : So Buddy had a chance to match Meachem's offer from SD

ghz in pittsburgh
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
From the press conference.

So the question is which one can step onto the field help us sooner for pick #10 - LT or WR?

Personally I would still pick the guy with the highest ceiling.

There is talk about Manningham. But he is #3 material. I'm not sure he's better than a healthy Donald Jones and we also have a dark horse Easly. Meachem, on the other hand, is ideal as #2 but AJ Smith just ruined the whole thing.

I'm still waiting to see if the Raiders are cutting Wimbley tonight. If he's on the roster tomorrow, Raiders will guarantee his $17mil salary next season.

After DE, OLB is our biggest need. I don't feel Merriman can play that position, much like Joey Porter tried to fit into Wanny's 4-3 in Miami.

Night Train
03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
So he's supposed to pay the Saints #3,#4 WR as much or more than SJ ?

Come on. The early WR market was inflated beyond belief.

JCBills
03-15-2012, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't have wanted him to. Not for that money. He probably would have taken SD anyways to have a crack at #1 WR.

Philagape
03-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Absolutely the right call. Giving that money to Meachem would have been insane, outrageous and insulting to Stevie.

TrEd FTW
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
From the press conference.

So the question is which one can step onto the field help us sooner for pick #10 - LT or WR?

Personally I would still pick the guy with the highest ceiling.

There is talk about Manningham. But he is #3 material. I'm not sure he's better than a healthy Donald Jones and we also have a dark horse Easly. Meachem, on the other hand, is ideal as #2 but AJ Smith just ruined the whole thing.

I'm still waiting to see if the Raiders are cutting Wimbley tonight. If he's on the roster tomorrow, Raiders will guarantee his $17mil salary next season.

After DE, OLB is our biggest need. I don't feel Merriman can play that position, much like Joey Porter tried to fit into Wanny's 4-3 in Miami.

I like how Manningham isn't better than Donald Jones, yet Meachem - whose production is right in line with Manningham's, if not worse - is an ideal No. 2.

psubills62
03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
I like Meachem, but that's a lot to pay for him.

YardRat
03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Glad he didn't match it.

Oaf
03-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Meachem is averaging $6.5m next 4 years. Isn't a #2 deep threat worth that these days?

mrbojanglezs
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
we have a lot of draft picks we can get a WR in the draft, don't forget about easley too

thenry20
03-15-2012, 09:01 PM
So he's supposed to pay the Saints #3,#4 WR as much or more than SJ ?

Come on. The early WR market was inflated beyond belief.

I think it's funny that people think Meachem is on Stevie's plane. $13 should be a two-time Pro Bowler iMO.

If Bell doesn't re-sign then OT is our next highest position of need.

Oaf
03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
we have a lot of draft picks we can get a WR in the draft, don't forget about easley too
I think we can forget about Easley. At least until he starts dominating in preseason or something.

Philagape
03-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Meachem is averaging $6.5m next 4 years. Isn't a #2 deep threat worth that these days?

Not an unproven one, no.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
In all honesty, I don't consider Stevie a true #1 receiver. He may prove me wrong the next couple of years.

He's very unconventional when you ask people about him. That requires an unconventional QB and Fitz is just borderline such a guy. How many times have you heard Gailey said "I can't believe he threw it" about Fitz? With Stevie, it's also "I can't believe he caught it."

Iike I said, if they use #10 on it, he better have good potential to be a true #1 in this league.

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Draft Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd or Michael Floyd at #10. Manningham isn't any better than what we already have.

Beebe's Kid
03-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Draft Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd or Michael Floyd at #10. Manningham isn't any better than what we already have.
Who do we have? Manningham is more proven than the guys who let balls bounce off of their hands all last year. I don't think he bumps Nelson, but Donald Jones can go back to depth, and Roscoe...I like the guy, but I would love him if he had Manningham numbers every year.

Signing MM to a reasonable deal makes this team better the moment the ink dries.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2012, 12:41 AM
I don't care if they sign him but I don't think he's worth what he will be asking for. He was also known for the dropsies on the Giants before the huge Super Bowl catch. Buddy knows what he is doing.

Buddo
03-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I find it interesting that simply because a guy catches the football in a SB, it makes him way more attractive. (i.e. Manningham).
TBH, I'd rather have Meachem than Manningham, as I feel he's a superior all round athlete, who while he may make an occasional drop, makes up for that with a greater number of very good catches. Aside from the SB, I don't see the same thing from Manningham. Meachem is also a proven deep threat, I don't see how anyone doesn't understand that.
Manningham, if and when signed by somebody, will almost certainly be overpaid. I believe you can find other WRs either in the draft or elsewhere in FA, who can still improve the roster, without overpaying.
I think that Meachem's top end speed, separated him from Manningham in respect of what he could bring to us, which was why he was the target. I think you can get something similar for a lot less than what Manningham will do for us.
There are still a lot of viable WRs out there, with experience, who could help us improve, without having to get involved in any sort of bidding war.

DMBcrew36
03-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Not saying we should've matched... but... Stevie Johnson is NOT a #1 receiver.

Historian
03-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Absolutely the right call. Giving that money to Meachem would have been insane, outrageous and insulting to Stevie.

Remember when Bruce got his undies in a wad because somebody else got an extension and a raise, and thus was now paid higher than him?

Could have been Kelly or Bennett,,,I can't remember....

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Maybe you should ask Darelle Revis what he thinks...

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 08:37 AM

At the time, they still hadn't signed Mario who was the #1 priority. You can't up your game for a #2 WR without knowing where your top FA stands. What if you needed that extra money to guarantee a closed deal with Mario?

You don't put a distant #2 concern in front of a premier #1 concern.

justasportsfan
03-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Manningham not on radar

“We have made no contact,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/15/manningham-not-on-radar/

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Manningham not on radar

“We have made no contact,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/15/manningham-not-on-radar/

Yeah, I think Nix is looking for tall WRs atleast 6'2" and above. Who can outjump CBs for Fitz' short range deliveries. Manningham doesn't fit the profile. But Floyd does, which is why I think they will draft him.

justasportsfan
03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I think Nix is looking for tall WRs atleast 6'2" and above. Who can outjump CBs for Fitz' short range deliveries. Manningham doesn't fit the profile. But Floyd does, which is why I think they will draft him.

Floyd fills a need and arguably BPA at 10.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2012, 10:25 AM

He is OUR #1 receiver. Why people can't get that through their thick skulls blows my mind...

DMBcrew36
03-16-2012, 10:28 AM
He is OUR #1 receiver. Why people can't get that through their thick skulls blows my mind...

I maintain my opinion - he hasn't shown he is on the level of #1 receivers of other teams.

I guess we'll see this year - since the Bills are clearly going in with him as the #1.

better days
03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I maintain my opinion - he hasn't shown he is on the level of #1 receivers of other teams.

I guess we'll see this year - since the Bills are clearly going in with him as the #1.

Stevie Johnson is not Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, but he is better than the #1 receiver on MANY teams including the Chargers who just signed a guy to be the #1 receiver that the Bills wanted to sign as the #2 behind Stevie.