• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So Buddy had a chance to match Meachem's offer from SD

From the press conference.

So the question is which one can step onto the field help us sooner for pick #10 - LT or WR?

Personally I would still pick the guy with the highest ceiling.

There is talk about Manningham. But he is #3 material. I'm not sure he's better than a healthy Donald Jones and we also have a dark horse Easly. Meachem, on the other hand, is ideal as #2 but AJ Smith just ruined the whole thing.

I'm still waiting to see if the Raiders are cutting Wimbley tonight. If he's on the roster tomorrow, Raiders will guarantee his $17mil salary next season.

After DE, OLB is our biggest need. I don't feel Merriman can play that position, much like Joey Porter tried to fit into Wanny's 4-3 in Miami.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: So Buddy had a chance to match Meachem's offer from SD

So he's supposed to pay the Saints #3,#4 WR as much or more than SJ ?

Come on. The early WR market was inflated beyond belief.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• JCBills
      • Jan 2010

I wouldn't have wanted him to. Not for that money. He probably would have taken SD anyways to have a crack at #1 WR.

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Absolutely the right call. Giving that money to Meachem would have been insane, outrageous and insulting to Stevie.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TrEd FTW
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
          From the press conference.

So the question is which one can step onto the field help us sooner for pick #10 - LT or WR?

Personally I would still pick the guy with the highest ceiling.

There is talk about Manningham. But he is #3 material. I'm not sure he's better than a healthy Donald Jones and we also have a dark horse Easly. Meachem, on the other hand, is ideal as #2 but AJ Smith just ruined the whole thing.

I'm still waiting to see if the Raiders are cutting Wimbley tonight. If he's on the roster tomorrow, Raiders will guarantee his $17mil salary next season.

After DE, OLB is our biggest need. I don't feel Merriman can play that position, much like Joey Porter tried to fit into Wanny's 4-3 in Miami.
          I like how Manningham isn't better than Donald Jones, yet Meachem - whose production is right in line with Manningham's, if not worse - is an ideal No. 2.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

I like Meachem, but that's a lot to pay for him.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Glad he didn't match it.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Meachem is averaging $6.5m next 4 years. Isn't a #2 deep threat worth that these days?

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                  • Jan 2010

we have a lot of draft picks we can get a WR in the draft, don't forget about easley too

Comment

• thenry20
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
                    So he's supposed to pay the Saints #3,#4 WR as much or more than SJ ?

Come on. The early WR market was inflated beyond belief.
                    I think it's funny that people think Meachem is on Stevie's plane. $13 should be a two-time Pro Bowler iMO.

If Bell doesn't re-sign then OT is our next highest position of need.

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by mrbojanglezs
                      we have a lot of draft picks we can get a WR in the draft, don't forget about easley too
                      I think we can forget about Easley. At least until he starts dominating in preseason or something.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                        Meachem is averaging $6.5m next 4 years. Isn't a #2 deep threat worth that these days?
                        Not an unproven one, no.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

In all honesty, I don't consider Stevie a true #1 receiver. He may prove me wrong the next couple of years.

He's very unconventional when you ask people about him. That requires an unconventional QB and Fitz is just borderline such a guy. How many times have you heard Gailey said "I can't believe he threw it" about Fitz? With Stevie, it's also "I can't believe he caught it."

Iike I said, if they use #10 on it, he better have good potential to be a true #1 in this league.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Draft Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd or Michael Floyd at #10. Manningham isn't any better than what we already have.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                              Draft Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd or Michael Floyd at #10. Manningham isn't any better than what we already have.
                              Who do we have? Manningham is more proven than the guys who let balls bounce off of their hands all last year. I don't think he bumps Nelson, but Donald Jones can go back to depth, and Roscoe...I like the guy, but I would love him if he had Manningham numbers every year.

Signing MM to a reasonable deal makes this team better the moment the ink dries.

Comment

Working...
                              X