PDA

View Full Version : The truth finally comes out about the "Slug"!

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
http://bazeiskpbl.com/wp-content/uploads/sabres_concepts.jpg

In 2005, Bazen was around 25 years old and working for Reebok, which had just partnered with the NHL in revamping the League's hockey sweaters to make them tighter, faster and more water resistant. The Sabres saw this as an opportune time to change the look of their colors and logo from the red and black sweaters they were currently wearing. One goal was to move back to the traditional blue and gold of their more beloved jerseys. Another was to rethink their logo for modern times.

"We wanted to create something that would be iconic and a little more forward thinking. Reebok wanted to push the envelope somehow. I give them credit, because they tried to be innovative. The Sabres also wanted to go in a new direction, based on what they decided on," Bazen said.

His first concepts resembled the Sabres' previous blue and gold jerseys, which featured a "buffalo coin" with swords crossed and a charging bison from right to left. Bazen began manipulating the buffalo in the logo, changing the perspective on it and giving it the feeling of forward progress.

During the process, Bazen's new logo lost its legs but kept its momentum. This new bison, the eventual basis for the Buffaslug, was placed inside the "coin." Eventually it was decided that the Sabres wanted something that didn't involve the circle.

"As a designer, I wasn't in those higher-level meetings. Based on what I gathered, the general idea was to become more progressive, more abstract, to be aggressive and take on a new identity. It was at the time when the Reebok EDGE jerseys were being introduced. So if you're going to go big, then go big," said Bazen.

"Some of the ones with legs on them, I felt strong about them. More of an evolution than a revolution. But then it got more and more abstract."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/father-buffaslug-meet-man-designed-buffalo-sabres-most-132535273.html