PDA

View Full Version : The case for a pass rusher DE at #10

MattyNH
03-16-2012, 07:14 AM
I understand the Bills still have strong needs at LT and WR, they also need depth at TE, CB etc. Between FA's and the draft, the Bills need to fill as many of these as they can. You cant do everything in one year obviously. But I also believe a pass rushing DE is still also a need.

I'm not saying draft a DE no matter what but what I am saying is I think you keep it in the equation based on BPA. Trading down is also a viable option. But if you look at how the NFL is changing before our eyes, in the last 5 years, the NFL has gone from a run and stop the run league to a pass and stop the pass league. Teams pass 60 some % of the time often nowadays and the great teams are using the no huddle to keep the defense in one package. With the increase in passing and the need to have DL rotating I think there is still a need for pass rusher on this team.

Getting pressure on the QB WITH THE FRONT FOUR is what it is all about. Brady and all the good QB's do better when you blitz them, you must get pressure with the front 4. The Giants have 4 pass rushing DE's and they put them all on the field at the same time passing situations. We now have one pass rushing DE, Merriman may be a good rotational guy. More will help.

DMBcrew36
03-16-2012, 07:27 AM
I don't know about going DE with our 1st... but I will say Kelsay is the weakest link on that line.

I still remember how annoyed I was the day we resigned him to his current deal.

tomz
03-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Buddy did say they probably needed to add a couple of pass rushers.

ddaryl
03-16-2012, 07:31 AM
OLB is more of a need at #10, and that fits the pass rush category

IMO there are solid DE candidates to be had in round 2 and 3 that would be good development projects behind Mario...

at #10 our focus right now is LT, CB, OLB, WR

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Nix already said he's going BPA. So if there's a DE he likes at #10, that's who he's going to take. Period!

I agree with that philosophy. The only position I think we need to ignore is RB. White is a good #3. Other than that, take BPA!!!

Coples is a specimen not too unlike Mario. I really don't think we should let him slide if he fell to us. But if not, I think Floyd is the likely next guy. 6'3" guy with under 4.5 speed? Nix is unlikely to let him slide past us...

justasportsfan
03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't rule out a cb. Our Dl could get a ton of coverage sacks if we can shutdown wr's. The jets have been successful doing that vs. the PAts.

k-oneputt
03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
If Coples is there at #10 I want him.

ublinkwescore
03-16-2012, 10:10 AM
OT for me. give this line both depth with starting experience, and a new starter. Riley Reiff at 10.

PTI
03-16-2012, 10:13 AM
If DE is seriously above and beyond the highest player on their board, then OK. They have serious needs in other places.

I don't want to copy the Giants just because.

Treason
03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I would kick the tires on John Abraham and see if he's got something left because he was a great pass rusher and if we can get him cheap, pair him up with the other three and they will do some damage. If not him, someone else who can get to the QB. A front four that vicious would make up for a lot of flaws in the back end.

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
If DE is seriously above and beyond the highest player on their board, then OK. They have serious needs in other places.

I don't want to copy the Giants just because.

Yeah, why would we want to copy superbowl champions? :rolleyes:

bosshogg21
03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
I still want Melvin Ingram.

PTI
03-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, why would we want to copy superbowl champions? :rolleyes:

I was saying just don't take the best DE on the board unless he is really the highest player on their board, obviously the good pass rush has taken the Giants twice from playing for their lives in the weeks just prior to the playoffs all the way to winning the Super Bowl.

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I was saying just don't take the best DE on the board unless he is really the highest player on their board, obviously the good pass rush has taken the Giants twice from playing for their lives in the weeks just prior to the playoffs all the way to winning the Super Bowl.

If Coples is not available, they should skip DE and go to WR Floyd, OT Reiff or OLB Ingram (barring anyone falling unexpectedly).

MattyNH
03-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I hope they fill one or two more with second tier FA's. I know Nix said they were out of business but I wonder if that is for just big names. There is still the draft and then high priced vets who get cut at the end of camp

Mski
03-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I would kick the tires on John Abraham and see if he's got something left because he was a great pass rusher and if we can get him cheap, pair him up with the other three and they will do some damage. If not him, someone else who can get to the QB. A front four that vicious would make up for a lot of flaws in the back end.that will be tough seeing as he signed with atlanta earlier today.... i still think its WR or CB, because i dont think Coples will be there

NOT THE DUDE...
03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
coples seems like lots of hype guys... i dont want him..

mysticsoto
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
from nfldraftcountdown.com:

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="right">Height: 6-5¾ | Weight: 284 | 40-Time: 4.78 </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" align="Center"> http://www.draftcountdown.com/headshots/de/quintoncoples.jpg
Official Bio (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/coples_quinton05.html)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/images/stars/four.gif </td> <td valign="top"> Strengths:
• Excellent size and bulk with a large frame and long arms
• Outstanding athleticism with great agility and nimble feet
• Good speed and quickness with a burst and moves well
• Naturally strong and powerful with a violent initial punch
• Able to wreak havoc off the edge or by shooting gaps inside
• Above average run defender who is stout at point of attack
• Does terrific job in pursuit and showcases impressive range
• Powerful tackler who is able to deliver the big knockout hit
• Will disrupt passing lanes when unable to reach backfields
• Is tough, physical and plays game with a nasty demeanor
• Displays solid instincts, awareness and overall football IQ
• Versatile with ability to play multiple positions and schemes
• Productive w/ substantial experience against top competition
• Still has a lot of untapped potential and considerable upside

Weaknesses:
• Not an elite edge pass rusher who can bend and run the arc
• Tendency to play tall and doesn't always use proper leverage
• Must use hands better to take on / disengage from blockers
• Lacks a varied repertoire of pass rush moves and counters
• Inconsistent and motor tends to run hot and cold at times
• Battled case of "Senior-itis" and played not to get hurt in '11

Injury History:
None of Consequence

Notes:
A two-year starter for the Tar Heels --- Was named 1st Team All-ACC in 2010 and 2011 --- Saw extensive action at both defensive end and defensive tackle during college career --- The next great pass rusher to come out of Chapel Hill, following in the footsteps of former first round picks such as Lawrence Taylor, Greg Ellis, Ebenezer Ekuban, Julius Peppers and Robert Quinn --- Capable of playing defensive end or defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense or the five-technique in a 3-4 scheme at the next level --- Lacks overall polish but clearly possesses the physical tools and pure talent to be a impact performer in the NFL.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Oaf
03-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Stick to BPA, like you said, and let that determine DE, SLB, WR, OT from there.

Oaf