So what would an ideal 4-3 OLB look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

So what would an ideal 4-3 OLB look like?

Right after the Mario signing I started thinking about the ramifications to our draft.

Nix stated Mario is a 4-3 LDE. So my first thought is whether one of the DE/OLB hybrids such as Melvin Ingram or Courtney Upshaw would still make sense as an OLB in a 4-3.

Let's hear the X's and O's on this. Give me the ideal 4-3 OLB breakdown. What skills? Size? What should that player be able to do?

And the follow up is then who fits best from the draft for that role. I still place LB as a real need.

• mjt328
    • May 2011

Re: So what would an ideal 4-3 OLB look like?

In a 3-4 defense, the outside linebackers are responsible for "setting the edge." That usually means rushing the quarterback from a standing position and keeping containment on outside runs.
    With the exception of the starting stance and occasionally being responsible for pass coverage on running backs/tight ends, the position is very similar to a 4-3 defensive end.

Outside linebackers in a 4-3 (strongside and weakside) have less responsibilities in rushing the passer. They need to be better in coverage, better in pursuit of the running back and better tacklers.

Personally, I think Upshaw and Ingram are best suited to play outside linebacker in a 3-4. If we selected either, it would be to play defensive end.
    2013 "My Should Have" Draft
    Posted During the 2013 Draft
    1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
    3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
    5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
    6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
    7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
    1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
    2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
    2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
    3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
    4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
    5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
    6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
    7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

I see OLBs in a 4-3 as more multi-trick ponies. They need to be able to rush the passer, watch for screens, guard against the run, and cover the tight end. They need to be smart and adjust well on the fly. I agree that Upshaw and Ingram may not fit the bill for that description based on what I've seen.

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Zach Brown is a guy I've liked a lot for years.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
          • Sep 2003

I like Ingram at 10. Speed on one side power on the other, somethings gotta give...(Add that to the power and speed of Dareus and Williams in the middle. I like.

Add Zack Brown in rd 2 and we have a defense...

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
            I like Ingram at 10. Speed on one side power on the other, somethings gotta give...(Add that to the power and speed of Dareus and Williams in the middle. I like.

Add Zack Brown in rd 2 and we have a defense...
            Brown in the 2nd but not sure about Round 1.

Ingram is 6-1 and has tiny arms (just a tad over 30 inches ) and that is a big red flag to many teams.

I've expressed my thoughts about LT but if the Bills are convinced Hariston can play there, then I'm open to anything in Round 1 and would hope Nix would listen to any trade down offers, with overall depth still a concern.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Lavonte David is an ideal 43 OLB.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• methos4ever
                • Apr 2004

Funny you should post this X, as Coach Wannstedt was just on Sirius this morning describing the Xs and Os of his 4-3.

In his interview he mentioned the following keys:
                -He wanted Sheppard to lose 20 pounds during the season if he was going to play ILB for him, so he wants him playing this season instead of at 258 which he came into camp at, at 238 which he ended the season at.
                -He likes Barnett and said he played most of last season at 230.
                -He also likes the idea of Morrison as his SAM for now, because all 3 linebackers came into the middle of training camp with only Barnett really getting any reps.
                -As with any traditional Cover 2 defense, he wants his linemen to be the most important part of the defense, and is fine with anyone back at OLB, as long as they can "run and hit"
                -He mentioned that there will be next to no dropping by DE's or linemen in zone blitz, because again they're the focus of the defensive attack.
                -Finally, he closed by discussing Ingram and Upshaw, as the hosts asked them how they'd fit at linebacker for the Bills. Before they could continue that thought he stopped them and said they wouldn't, they only consider those guys defensive ends. He then hemmed and hawed and stuck to the company line that he'll have a rookie added to the mix as a "pass rusher" (Interpreted to me as a RE instead of power LE) and his rotation would be complete.

Given all that I think since he was already in the system a guy like Brown from UNC would fit (Butch is an understudy of Coach W), as well as Lavonte David and a guy like Tank Carder. Given the company line about Ends though I assume whoever they pick would be round 3 or later. Also, I'd look at Nigel B from FSU and the Miami 'backer whose name escapes me.

Skills? Run and hit. Be able to play off the linemen and the space you get.
                Size? Really as long as they can run he doesn't care. I'd say 230 - 250 depending on how agile the person is at the weight.
                Last edited by methos4ever; 03-17-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
                  Right after the Mario signing I started thinking about the ramifications to our draft.

Nix stated Mario is a 4-3 LDE. So my first thought is whether one of the DE/OLB hybrids such as Melvin Ingram or Courtney Upshaw would still make sense as an OLB in a 4-3.

Let's hear the X's and O's on this. Give me the ideal 4-3 OLB breakdown. What skills? Size? What should that player be able to do?

And the follow up is then who fits best from the draft for that role. I still place LB as a real need.
                  You're looking for guys in the range of 6'0 to 6'3, 220-245.

Their skill set should involve speed and sideline to sideline ability. They should be good in coverage and have good change of direction skills.

Speed is the main factor.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                    • Apr 2004

Like this.
                    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 03-17-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by methos4ever
                      Funny you should post this X, as Coach Wannstedt was just on Sirius this morning describing the Xs and Os of his 4-3.

In his interview he mentioned the following keys:
                      -He wanted Sheppard to lose 20 pounds during the season if he was going to play ILB for him, so he wants him playing this season instead of at 258 which he came into camp at, at 238 which he ended the season at.
                      -He likes Barnett and said he played most of last season at 230.
                      -He also likes the idea of Morrison as his SAM for now, because all 3 linebackers came into the middle of training camp with only Barnett really getting any reps.
                      -As with any traditional Cover 2 defense, he wants his linemen to be the most important part of the defense, and is fine with anyone back at OLB, as long as they can "run and hit"
                      -He mentioned that there will be next to no dropping by DE's or linemen in zone blitz, because again they're the focus of the defensive attack.
                      -Finally, he closed by discussing Ingram and Upshaw, as the hosts asked them how they'd fit at linebacker for the Bills. Before they could continue that thought he stopped them and said they wouldn't, they only consider those guys defensive ends. He then hemmed and hawed and stuck to the company line that he'll have a rookie added to the mix as a "pass rusher" (Interpreted to me as a RE instead of power LE) and his rotation would be complete.

Given all that I think since he was already in the system a guy like Brown from UNC would fit (Butch is an understudy of Coach W), as well as Lavonte David and a guy like Tank Carder. Given the company line about Ends though I assume whoever they pick would be round 3 or later. Also, I'd look at Nigel B from FSU and the Miami 'backer whose name escapes me.

Skills? Run and hit. Be able to play off the linemen and the space you get.
                      Size? Really as long as they can run he doesn't care. I'd say 230 - 250 depending on how agile the person is at the weight.

Sean Spence is who you're thinking of.

Zach Brown would be a guy I'd target. That defense would seam to need a guy that can cover the seems against TE's like Gronk, Keller, and Hernandez. Brown has plenty of speed to do that.

The cover 2 annoyed me because of the 3rd down conversions given up in the seam.
                      Last edited by X-Era; 03-17-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

*seam

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by andyxc71
                          *seam
                          Two F's

Fixed

and

**** off

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

im pretty sure any linebacker just over four foot tall would look ridiculous
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
                              im pretty sure any linebacker just over four foot tall would look ridiculous

Love ya man...

Are you making next years opener?

Comment

Working...
                              X