PDA

View Full Version : Best DL in football?

Canadian'eh!
03-17-2012, 10:45 AM
OK... I've seen this said a few places, but I'm still not sure how it's true.

Mario-Kyle-Marcel I can buy into being 3/4 of the best in football...

But who is the other end? Merriman? Seems like a major weakness to me.

baalworship
03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
The other end is whoever plays best among Merriman/Kelsay/Carrington.

Unless Schobel comes out of retirement.

Canadian'eh!
03-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Schobel will be 35 by camp 35 and hasn't played in over 2 years.
Merriman has been a shell of his former self and is constantly injured.
Kelsay was never good versus the run and isn't a very good pass rusher to boot.
Carrington has 2 sacks in 2 years.

This team is still short a DE.

baalworship
03-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Kelsay was terrible as a linebacker. When he lined up at the end of the year as a 4-3 DE he was our best pass-rusher and it was noticeable when he wasn't in the game. Kelsay takes a lot of crap from fans but I will defend him here.

Regardless of who plays opposite Mario we have a top defensive line in NFL. Only Giants have comparable talent. They have better outside pass-rushers and we have better tackles.

Canadian'eh!
03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't know.

Pierre-Paul-Tuck-Canty-Osi seem more complete to me.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I have no issue with Kelsey at end. It is his natural position. He was terrible as a linebacker for sure.

THATHURMANATOR
03-17-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't know.

I agree. Until our guys prove it they are not the best. Either way why argue. They certainly have what it takes to be dominant and that is all I care about!!!!

Canadian'eh!
03-17-2012, 11:02 AM
For that matter, I think Detroit is right there too.

psubills62
03-17-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't know.

They've also got a second round DL that they drafted a year or two ago...tall guy, can't remember his name right now.

The Giants DL is fantastic at rushing the passer...not so great at stopping the run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for our DL, as we definitely need another DE to step up. Just saying that the Giants DL is not very well-rounded. And yeah, Detroit is right up there.

YardRat
03-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Need to prove it on the field. I'm still interested to see if Kelsay can even play with any consistency or production on the right side.

Mike13
03-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Williams is going to have to break out of his funk before you call it that.
I dont know if he was simply underutilized or whatever

Meathead
03-17-2012, 11:46 AM
lmao

easiest question ever

kelsay mans the other end spot and has a career season

super easy to see this comin

wozrob11
03-17-2012, 12:09 PM
well i'd say best DL in the AFC the G-men got a buzzsaw

Cali512
03-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I thin the issue kelsey had was hed get the pressure, but the QB culd jus run to the other side. If you remember that didnt work till Merriman got injured.

Cali512
03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Williams is going to have to break out of his funk before you call it that.
I dont know if he was simply underutilized of whatever

5 sacks in 5 games isnt a huge funk

NOT THE DUDE...
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
best in the afc... probably nothing better than wmd!

Mark Miller
03-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I can only imagine how many holding penalties our opponents will have. I don't think I've ever been this excited for an upcoming season. Just the thought of knowing both sides of the ball have potential to be above average should be enough to give us a chance regardless of who we play. At this point, the Bills should be labeled as the dark horse for the 2012 season.

ublinkwescore
03-17-2012, 12:55 PM
If we aren't the best, we should be top 5 no question. Someone made the statement that our line has too much talent to fail. I kinda agree. Definitely too much proven talent on this D line to disappoint IMO.

THRILLHO
03-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Lions are the best d-line.

Mr. Miyagi
03-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Williams-Dareus-Williams-Coples

methos4ever
03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Williams-Dareus-Williams-Coples
WANT.

theanswer74
03-17-2012, 02:34 PM
You would need Merriman or someone else to be around 10 sacks for it to be the best, it is very good though.

ublinkwescore
03-17-2012, 03:07 PM
WANT.

Riley Reiff ='s need. done deal.

Cali512
03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I think if we get a young DE in there, he will flourish. He will get alot of sacks of strickly the QB running to his side, and that will give whoever it is confidence and he will do well. I do think we have the best DL in the NFL, bc idk any team that has 2 young great DTs and a top 5 passrusher. Most have one or 2, but not all 3

Lexwhat
03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Merriman all missed significant time last year due to injury...

Our starting D-Line looks great (with Kelsey being the other DE), but 1-2 injuries and we are pretty much at where we were last season.

Drafting a D-lineman with our 1st round pick, depending on who's available, sounds like a great idea to me. Even for the Giants, both Justin Tuck and Osi missed a lot of games last season.

If we want to be competitive throughout the season, we need more quality D-Linemen.

Beebe
03-17-2012, 07:50 PM
YES

LarryBoy
03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Merriman all missed significant time last year due to injury...

Our starting D-Line looks great (with Kelsey being the other DE), but 1-2 injuries and we are pretty much at where we were last season.

Drafting a D-lineman with our 1st round pick, depending on who's available, sounds like a great idea to me. Even for the Giants, both Justin Tuck and Osi missed a lot of games last season.

If we want to be competitive throughout the season, we need more quality D-Linemen.

Yup-I think we will be one of the best DL out there, but the G-men have more depth.

Cali512
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
If we can get a guy who gets around wat kelsey gets, then yes, bc we would have some form of depth. I like Carrington, Spence, and Edwards for depth

stuckincincy
03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I can only imagine how many holding penalties our opponents will have. I don't think I've ever been this excited for an upcoming season. Just the thought of knowing both sides of the ball have potential to be above average should be enough to give us a chance regardless of who we play. At this point, the Bills should be labeled as the dark horse for the 2012 season.

The NFL decided that there is no profit in calling holding. There is much profit to be had in protecting quarterbacks and receivers and letting running backs scoot.

methos4ever
03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Riley Reiff ='s need. done deal.
Reiff is just like Bulaga, in terms of blocking and ability. If they skipped Bulaga, they'll skip him. Pass. Buddy does BPA - not fill need with pick 10.

justasportsfan
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
You could put Parrish opposite Mario and he'd be a stud DE.

mayotm
03-19-2012, 12:07 PM
5 sacks in 5 games isnt a huge funk
Not to mention he's never had talent close to Williams and Dareus lined up next to him on the inside.

psubills62
03-19-2012, 12:11 PM
You could put Parrish opposite Mario and he'd be a stud DE.
I do remember one game where the Patriots were playing the Jets last year, and I believe the Jets were down by a couple TD's or something. The Pats had three down "linemen" for several series, one of whom was a 5'10", 195 pound defensive back Kyle Arrington. Very bizarre and the announcers made a huge deal out of it. He had a few moments in rushing the passer, but overall disappeared.

TigerJ
03-19-2012, 10:35 PM

If we want to be competitive throughout the season, we need more quality D-Linemen.Mario Williams has had a couple tough years injury wise. It's not the same injury though. Hard to say if it's going to be a pattern going forward.

Kyle Williams has been an iron man until this last year, but the surgery that doomed his season was to correct something he's been playing with as long as he's been a pro. There's no reason to think this is going to be the start of a new parttern for him.

As for Merriman, noboody knows if he's going to resurrect his career or not. Nix had better not put all his eggs in the Merriman basket.

As for depth, I don't believe there is quality depth at the defensive end position, but I'm a lot more optimistic about defensive tackle.

ServoBillieves
03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Williams - Williams - Dareus - Carrington

Not even joking. Put Kelsay in on passing down and Carrington starts.

better days
03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
OK... I've seen this said a few places, but I'm still not sure how it's true.

Mario-Kyle-Marcel I can buy into being 3/4 of the best in football...

But who is the other end? Merriman? Seems like a major weakness to me.

Well then, name the DL or DLs with 4 better players than the Bills DL & I don't even care who the RDE is on the Bills. The only team with a comparable DL is Detroit.

You can bet Belichick & Brady will be awake at night thinking about playing this DL the next day.

Oaf
03-19-2012, 11:32 PM
I would take Lions and G-Men over us. That's about all I can think of. I think Spencer provides good DT depth, but we could use another young prospect at both positions most likely.

Canadian'eh!
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Well then, name the DL or DLs with 4 better players than the Bills DL & I don't even care who the RDE is on the Bills. The only team with a comparable DL is Detroit.

You can bet Belichick & Brady will be awake at night thinking about playing this DL the next day.

I did.

Canadian'eh!
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Mark Anderson was the guy I was thinking about writing this thread. He'd probably rotate with someone... but on passing downs you are talking about one of the scariest lines in the NFL.

(still give the edge to Giants, until someone proves otherwise)

k-oneputt
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Sign Anderson and draft Coples.

Canadian'eh!
03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd sign Anderson and hope for one of Reiff or Kalil to drop.

Jeff1220
03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
The best? Let's see it on the field first.

Canadian'eh!
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
On paper, it's now right there. But agreed. Lets see it on the field before we hand out a trophy.

I've been highly critical of the Bills, but WIlliams and Anderson are 2 signings that show they are serious finally.