PDA

View Full Version : Will Kelsay Be Dealt Soon ?

Night Train
03-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Wanny has mentioned having dominant players upfront in Dareus, Kyle & Mario Williams...no mention of Kelsay.

Wanny stated they're going to stick Mario Williams at the position he fits best, Left Defensive End....Kelsays current position.

When pressed whether Kelsay is therefore moving to the right side, Wanny says "we'll figure all that out after the draft".

Mario wants #90, Kelsays number. Can you imagine how many Mario Williams jerseys will eventually sell ?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for long term employment, from where I'm sitting. Why not just say he's the RDE if he's in the immediate plans ?

This is now Wannys D and maybe he doesn't see him as a fit.

Stay tuned.

Syderick
03-18-2012, 07:16 AM
It'll either be Kelsay at RDE or mixture of Kelsay/Merriman depending on the situation.

Skooby
03-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Wherever Kelsay lines up, you'll see the opposing offense go after.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2012, 07:30 AM
i think right now kelsay on 1st and 2nd down, and when its 3rd and long, merriman will come in.

now obviously obd will not count on merriman so like wanny said, and nix said before signing mario, they want 2 pass rushers...

i like jones in rd 2 imo... and i think jones could start right now and push kelsay to be a backup to mario for this year, but also getting lots of pt. this is probably kelsays last year on the team along with merriman.

chandler jones has incredible power and length along with great size, 6-5 270, real nice quickness. he would start for sure...

i think they see their backup dts as troup, carrington and heard... almost all 43 teams keep 5 dts and 4 des.

so maybe

jones/merriman
williams/carrington
dareus/troup/heard
m. williams/kelsay

kyle moore would probably replace merriman if he gets hurt again...

madness
03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Kelsey has already agreed to give his number to Mario.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Like i said, if jones is there in rd 2, he should be, then he will probably start making kelsay a rotational backup to mario...

djjimkelly
03-18-2012, 08:17 AM
everyone keeps forgetting about dwan edwards hes gonna be a beast on the line also

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2012, 08:30 AM
everyone keeps forgetting about dwan edwards hes gonna be a beast on the line also

i like dwan too... its just a numbers game man. they are not cutting troup, carrington or heard. aint happin

merriman and kelsay will be the main backup des

if merriman gets hurt, then they will probably call up kyle moore or some practice squad pass rusher with young legs..

dannyek71
03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
We should trade CK for a 1st, (conditional) 3rd, and 6th round draft picks.

That seems fair to me.

DasBills
03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
We should trade CK for a 1st, (conditional) 3rd, and 6th round draft picks.

That seems fair to me.
Nah, I'd push for another first rounder; kind of like the RGIII trade. Players like Kelsay only come around once in a life-time.

YardRat
03-18-2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article769045.ece

"I'm a big believer that we're going to bring him in and we're going to put him at that left end, more than likely, and put his hand on the ground and make him a mainstay there," he said. "We've got to have him be a dominant position there in one spot."

Chris Kelsay, the Bills' second best edge rusher at the moment (until Shawne Merriman proves he's healthy), has played left defensive end most of his career. Wannstedt said he isn't worried about finding spots for the other rushers.

"We're gonna wait 'till after the draft and see what we end up with," Wannstedt said. "Then we'll look at our numbers and figure out how many we have at each position. We'll talk about what's the best fit for guys. We want to put guys in position where they can play fast and be most effective. Wherever we need to put people for them to be most effective, we'll do it. We're gonna give guys a chance to play fast, use their ability and make plays."

I don't think Kelsay will get dealt, but if he can't be effective on the right side this may be his last season in a Bill's uniform.

ublinkwescore
03-18-2012, 09:10 AM
It'll either be Kelsay at RDE or mixtu
re of Kelsay/Merriman depending on the situation.
I thought you were supposed to put your best defensive end on the right side of the line so he is rushing the qb from the quarterbacks blind side. meaning of that that defensive end is going up against their teams left tackle.

PTI
03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Kelsey has been a good team player from day 1.

YardRat
03-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I thought you were supposed to put your best defensive end on the right side of the line so he is rushing the qb from the quarterbacks blind side. meaning of that that defensive end is going up against their teams left tackle.

Mario likes the left side, is more comfortable on the left side, and the 'promise' to play him there I'm sure was a pretty big selling point so that's where he's going to line up for the most part.

better days
03-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Mario likes the left side, is more comfortable on the left side, and the 'promise' to play him there I'm sure was a pretty big selling point so that's where he's going to line up for the most part.

And Mario is very effective playing on the left side which means a less talented DE should be effective on the right side. And if Merriman is healthy as he says he is WOW.

So when is the Bills first Monday night game?

PTI
03-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Or he likes playing against RTs instead of LTs, uually not as good!

ghz in pittsburgh
03-18-2012, 10:09 AM
The bottom line is to have better players in 4-3 just like Wanny explained. Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys had a lot of the better players during his day.

The 3-4 pioneered by the Steelers is trickier. They need a solid NT and great linebackers. They will eat up lesser offensive and QBs like no one else. However, just like Wanny pointed out, against good offense and top QBs, they can't fool the offenses. Steelers record against Brady pretty much is a proof.

I wonder what Whaley's role in this as he focused on scouted for Steelers' linebackers more than anyone else during his time in Pittsburgh.

In a way, I think Wanny pointed out the ails of the Bills defense the last two years, though indirectly. For the 3-4, NT and linebackers are key. The Bills have neither, particularly linebackers (and Kyle is not your typical NT in a 3-4), even though against run, the 3-4 is more forgiven. With the Bills personnel, it's much easier to use 4-3. The key though, is they need at leastone guy at DE that teams are afraid of, like Jason Taylor. Now they got Mario.

Re-read Wanny's article to see what foundation players he considers on D. I'm surprised that George Wilson is on the list.

billsfootball1027
03-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Wanny has mentioned having dominant players upfront in Dareus, Kyle & Mario Williams...no mention of Kelsay.

Wanny stated they're going to stick Mario Williams at the position he fits best, Left Defensive End....Kelsays current position.

When pressed whether Kelsay is therefore moving to the right side, Wanny says "we'll figure all that out after the draft".

Mario wants #90, Kelsays number. Can you imagine how many Mario Williams jerseys will eventually sell ?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for long term employment, from where I'm sitting. Why not just say he's the RDE if he's in the immediate plans ?

Stay tuned.

I would say no ..... he makes 6 Mil hes, 33 years old, and is an average DE at best.

Syderick
03-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Well who knows what their planning. I'm just throwing something out there, you can only speculate what Wanny is going to do with Kelsay or Merriman.

Meathead
03-18-2012, 03:08 PM
its just about impossible to get the exact number on what kelsay actually makes but i know for sure it isnt six mil. i found between 3.5-5.0 over six different sites just now. if its close to 3.5 then its a relative bargain, if its 5.0 then its a little above average for a starting nfl de but not excessive at all

hes a good solid player and will most likely be the other de starter on opening day. doesnt really matter what side they assign each de to since we know for sure they will be moving mario around like the star who can make plays anywhere that he is

kelsay will get the bulk of the rotation at the other end, with whomever ends up near him in ability getting most of the rest. they are virtually certain to add a rookie at end given the depth of that position in the draft who will be in the mix but unless its first two rounds probably wont be reliable enough until later in the season at the earliest to get anything other than spot duty. then its up to they guys left on the roster to take the job from him, and so far they havent been able to and he had his best season just last year

thus the most logical conclusion is kelsay starts the season. whether he can keep the job or not is up to him and the other guys, but he starts out with the advantage of knowledge and broad experience so i wouldnt bet against him

Buffalo Roam'er
03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Never having been to much of a Kelsay fan, I do believe adding Super Mario to the left side with free up Kelsay to compete one on one and make a considerable difference.

Extremebillsfan247
03-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Stay tuned.Personally, I think that all depends on Merriman. He will be a factor in that decision. If he continues to struggle with his health issues, the Bills will most likely let him go and keep Kelsay. If Merriman shows he can stay healthy and be effective up on the line, Kelsay is all but done as a Bill unless he restructures his contract. JMO

NOT THE DUDE...
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Personally, I think that all depends on Merriman. He will be a factor in that decision. If he continues to struggle with his health issues, the Bills will most likely let him go and keep Kelsay. If Merriman shows he can stay healthy and be effective up on the line, Kelsay is all but done as a Bill unless he restructures his contract. JMO

hes only making like 3.5 mil dude. hes a slightly above avg de with savy skills. he can still play, he was our 2nd best dlineman last year and had a great last month. he will backup mario.

im a firm believer that buffalo will take chandler jones in rd 2 and he will start, dude is a straight beast! merriman will rotate along with kelsay for 1 more year.

kelsay has not lost a step

BertSquirtgum
03-18-2012, 09:44 PM
The only reason the Bills should get rid of Kelsay is if they sign Kamerion Wimbley otherwise they can use him.

justasportsfan
03-19-2012, 09:06 AM
he most likely isn't going anywhere because of this.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Top-10-Performances-Chris-Kelsay-vs-Denver/5d0a7471-1aa2-459d-9aef-62dfdc9daa1a

You also have to consider Marios injury history. Kelsay makes good depth.