PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's "Communal Inferiority Complex"

HAMMER
03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Good article, stop worrying about what everyone else thinks of Buffalo and enjoy it.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/columns/donn-esmonde/article769273.ece?twobillsdrive

Mski
03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
i think the writer is spot on with his analysis

OpIv37
03-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Interesting timing on this.

First, the thread I read right before this one was in the Sabres Zone with people *****ing about a presumed anti-Sabres bias in in the ESPN hockey power rankings and I thought "Buffalo has to get over this persecution complex."

Second, this article is very similar to what I posted this morning in another thread:

While it's funny to see a division rival getting this kind of press instead of us, it was a dick move by Clark to call out a team he never even played for. Most of this website would be pissed as hell if he had said it about Buffalo.

And people in Buffalo need to stop taking it so personally if someone doesn't like the city. Some people don't like small cities and snow- in fact, most people who don't grow up in snow can't stand any thought of dealing with the stuff and they don't understand why anyone would live in that climate. It's one thing if someone takes an unnecessary shot at the city (like Brady's hotel thing) but it's another thing if someone just doesn't personally like it.

Personally, I'd take any dirty Northeastern city over Miami. I don't give a **** about their beaches, I'd much rather drink in a hole-in-the-wall bar than a night club, I can't stand the heat or humidity, and I basically consider the place to be just like it's portrayed in GTA: Vice City. The only good thing about it is the Cuban food. But, that's my opinion- I can see why people who hate snow and like beaches and nightlife would rather live in Miami than Buffalo.

Skooby
03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Naples FL is Miami with Mid-Westerners / East Coast that want to relax, night & day from Miami. I actually think Buffalo has more in ethnically common with Miami than Naples FL does, no BS.

thenry20
03-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Man this was very evident those 3 days when Mario was in Buffalo. This board was psychotic over his signing. I wonder how many of the posters here actually live in or near WNY.

stuckincincy
03-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Naples FL is Miami with Mid-Westerners / East Coast that want to relax, night & day from Miami. I actually think Buffalo has more in ethnically common with Miami than Naples FL does, no BS.

Yes - it's the southern command post for the Bflo. Teacher's Federation.

Historian
03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree in principal, but on the other hand, Esmond did not grow up here, and did not live through the Blizzard of 77.

That singular event had this area reeling for 35 years.

There's other stuff too...losing the Braves, the decline of steel, etc.

An area can only take so many collective punches in the gut.

Oaf
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
What happened Historian?

Skooby
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
What happened Historian?

They made a board game, the blizzard of 77'. No matter where your game piece went, you were to get stuck. Heaven forbid you land on the bridge spot, that was a sure auto-exhaust asphyxiation right before your next roll.

Ahhh, those were the days.

stuckincincy
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
What happened Historian?

He met up with Jerry Glanville and left the building? :idunno: