PDA

View Full Version : I know we're looking up at the Caps but Ottawa isn't safe

Skooby
03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Ottawa is not playing that well & lost 3-1 to Toronto Saturday night. They play the Devils / Habs / Pens the next 3, I see one if not 2 losses there. Then they play at the Jets / Flyers, so I can see them losing both of those. Ottawa also has 10 OT / SO losses, so we match them in a tie as well.

There's good chance we catch them, as long as we play well & win most games.

Go Sabres!!!

PTI
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I agree, I do not believe Ottawa is a lock to be in, I can see them trying to play for one point many nights to try and stay in the top 8, and that does not always work.

Crisis
03-19-2012, 09:45 PM
ROW is the tiebreaker, and we're 5 down on Ottawa there.

We need to make up 7 points in 9 games on them, don't hold your breath.

OpIv37
03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
6 points with 11 games left? not happening.

Skooby
03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
6 points with 11 games left? not happening.

Check Ottawa's schedule, I think they have 5-6 regulation losses staring at them myself. That would give them 90-92 points, so that's not out of the realm of possibility.

I also think that they have a chance of a total collapse, which would bode well on my theory. Let's revisit in a week or so.

OpIv37
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Check Ottawa's schedule, I think they have 5-6 regulation losses staring at them myself. That would give them 90-92 points, so that's not out of the realm of possibility.

I also think that they have a chance of a total collapse, which would bode well on my theory. Let's revisit in a week or so.
for us to get to 92 we'd have to win 6 of the last 11. And even if we pull that off, it means Ottawa would have to drop 6 of their last 11.

Forget about catching them- just catch the Caps and stay ahead of Winnipeg.

trapezeus
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
agreed, anything can happen. there can be outlier events. ottawa can collapse.

I don't think they will.

Skooby
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
agreed, anything can happen. there can be outlier events. ottawa can collapse.

I don't think they will.

Do you feel good about their chances tonight against the Pens after losing to Toronto 3-1 Saturday night ? Toronto just got torn apart yesterday, so to say they're playing good hockey is a farce. I just see Ottawa trying to hold on, which I think will be their downfall.

trapezeus
03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
i don't think they are playing well either. i'm just saying to hvae a team epicly collapse for 11 games is tough. i know the sabres lost 12 straight, but remember how outrageously frustrating that is?

the "easy way in" is winning our games that we should win, stay close against the good competitors and get a touch of help from winnipeg and washington.

the hard way is to not worry about how we do and hope teams start killing themselves.

i didn't look at the caps/jets schedule. if either team plays ottawa, then that makes it that much more difficult.

would i love it if ottawa didn't get into the playoffs adn we got the slot, yes,
but i think it's a tough thing to bank on.

Skooby
03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Ottawa loses 1-0, suprise suprise (Gomer Pyle voice).

OpIv37
03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
would i love it if ottawa didn't get into the playoffs adn we got the slot, yes,
but i think it's a tough thing to bank on.

and even if Ottawa does completely tank, we still have to stay ahead of the Jets and/or Caps. It's possible for Ottawa to tank and us to still be out if the Jets and Caps take the last two spots.

Skooby
03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
and even if Ottawa does completely tank, we still have to stay ahead of the Jets and/or Caps. It's possible for Ottawa to tank and us to still be out if the Jets and Caps take the last two spots.

We've played well against Montreal this season, so I see us taking care of business tonight.

OpIv37
03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
We've played well against Montreal this season, so I see us taking care of business tonight.

I hope so, but I never count out a Buffalo team's ability to choke.

SabreEleven
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
THe bigger the game, the less the Sabres show up.

SkateZilla
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
THe bigger the game, the less the Sabres show up.

Bumper sticker worthy

SkateZilla
03-21-2012, 01:55 PM
lets not forget that myers is back tonite and montreal is a bit angry with him,

convenient that his suspension ended the same game we play them again.

Skooby
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
5 points needed to pass the Sens, it's doable.

Electrici
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
My ideal situation, Sabres get 7th, Florida gets 2nd and we have a definite winnable series on our hands.

trapezeus
03-21-2012, 09:50 PM
you may be onto something Mitch. ottawa has habs and pitts next. if sabres keep winning and they lose the next two, we are tied!!!!

but it seems too greedy to be aiming for that. just keep winning and get 8. then once we are in, let's see what happens.

SkateZilla
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
My ideal situation, Sabres get 7th, Florida gets 2nd and we have a definite winnable series on our hands.

Cept Dineen knows how half our roster plays.

Skooby
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
you may be onto something Mitch. ottawa has habs and pitts next. if sabres keep winning and they lose the next two, we are tied!!!!

but it seems too greedy to be aiming for that. just keep winning and get 8. then once we are in, let's see what happens.

The Sens then play the Jets on Monday, with the Jets fighting for their playoff lives.

OpIv37
03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
The Sens then play the Jets on Monday, with the Jets fighting for their playoff lives.

Is that game in Ottawa or Winnipeg? The Jets are much better at home.

CuseJetsFan83
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Is that game in Ottawa or Winnipeg? The Jets are much better at home.

it is a home game in winnipeg

Skooby
03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
it is a home game in winnipeg

Yep, another reason why I see Ottawa has trouble coming. Don't get me wrong, nothing assures the Sabres gain points but opponent's losses are the only way we can get ahead regardless of the Sabres winning.

Skooby
03-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Ottawa gets crushed & the Sabres crush the #1 team in the conference, sweet.

CuseJetsFan83
03-24-2012, 12:32 AM
the sabres are now just 5 points out of 2nd place in the eastern conference (boston)

YardRat
03-24-2012, 05:45 AM
the sabres are now just 5 points out of 2nd place in the eastern conference (boston)

Wouldn't that scenario be a hoot for the final game of the season...Win and you're in as the #2 seed and division champ, lose and you sit home entirely.

Skooby
03-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Wouldn't that scenario be a hoot for the final game of the season...Win and you're in as the #2 seed and division champ, lose and you sit home entirely.

That's the spirit!!

Syderick
03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Ottawa gets 7th or 8th spot, but they're getting in.

Skooby
03-27-2012, 05:37 PM

They have a few away games coming up, let's see how they play before annointing them of anything.

Syderick
03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Yea we're getting in!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Less+likely+Sens+will+playoff+aspirations+slip+away+with+video/6373800/story.html

Skooby
03-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Are you still so sure of this ??

OpIv37
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Are you still so sure of this ??

Yes. They have two points and a tiebreaker on us, 2 points and a game in hand on the Caps.

Skooby
03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes. They have two points and a tiebreaker on us, 2 points and a game in hand on the Caps.

Everything being equal, I see Ottawa missing the playoffs. They haven't had much luck against their remaining opponents this season & have played .417 hockey in March. Those 2 main factors lead me to these conclusions to start this thread. It's now that many folks here are posting that Ottawa is in trouble, they've been in trouble & now it's showing up in the wash.

trapezeus
03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
i think ott may be the team to catch as well. washington has a cushy schedule and that win in boston, as lackluster as it was, allows them to breath. The sabres have pitt, flyers and bruins on the list in next 5 games. Won't be easy for sabres to win out. We need help.

and i think the team most likely to do it will be the senators.

just 1 point today will make a huge impact.

OpIv37
03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Everything being equal, I see Ottawa missing the playoffs. They haven't had much luck against their remaining opponents this season & have played .417 hockey in March. Those 2 main factors lead me to these conclusions to start this thread. It's now that many folks here are posting that Ottawa is in trouble, they've been in trouble & now it's showing up in the wash.

did you see our schedule though? We'll be lucky to go 2-3.

Skooby
03-30-2012, 10:23 AM
i think ott may be the team to catch as well. washington has a cushy schedule and that win in boston, as lackluster as it was, allows them to breath. The sabres have pitt, flyers and bruins on the list in next 5 games. Won't be easy for sabres to win out. We need help.

and i think the team most likely to do it will be the senators.

just 1 point today will make a huge impact.

did you see our schedule though? We'll be lucky to go 2-3.

I think Boston will be locked in 2nd place by the time we get to them & will have many healthy scratches on a limited schedule. We also play the leafs who have been giving up ~5.17 goals a game over the past few weeks, that's lying down if I've ever seen it.

One other note, Philly is not catching the Rangers & is fighting for a 4th versus 5th seed. I think that by next Thursday, that situation gets settled & the Flyers have many healthy scratches. Philly plays Ottawa / Pens / Rags before playing us, so if they beat Ottawa that helps us & if they lose that might lock them into their spot (5th).

PTI
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Toronto looks to have given up and are a mess in goal. Sens defense has not been good at all lately, 13 goals allowed the last 3 games.

trapezeus
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
boston is pretty much in first in northeast simply by getting one point last night. we can't catch them winning out. ottawa could leap frog them, but they've got some tough games.

SAbres may not go 4-1 to control their destiny. so that means, we need a little help from caps or sens...possibly even florida. if florida and capitals flip, florida could fall apart too.

point is, regardless of the % of getting in, it's not easy, even after a big statement win on tuesday. i wish they wouldn't have blown the florida and avalanche game.t hose two points would be huge right now.

Skooby
04-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Ottawa would of been the team to catch, they ended up 8th.

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/standings?season=2012&groupId=9