PDA

View Full Version : Wannstedt: pass rush success will be collective

justasportsfan
03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
“The only way we can survive and be a top defense in the league in this system is with the guys up front. For that to happen you have to have players. We felt extremely good about our inside guys, and we’ve got some quality young backups that were first and second-year players that are only going to get a lot better.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Wannstedt-pass-rush-success-will-be-collective/765f1bc4-2e2f-481c-9d34-58da46d5446b

JCBills
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
“The only way we can survive and be a top defense in the league in this system is with the guys up front. For that to happen you have to have players. We felt extremely good about our inside guys, and we’ve got some quality young backups that were first and second-year players that are only going to get a lot better.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Wannstedt-pass-rush-success-will-be-collective/765f1bc4-2e2f-481c-9d34-58da46d5446b

Torrell Troup, Kellen Heard, Jay Ross.

Mr. Miyagi
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Torrell Troup, Kellen Heard, Jay Ross.
And the non-first or second year backups are Carrington and Edwards. I like our depth.

JCBills
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
And the non-first or second year backups are Carrington and Edwards. I like our depth.

Troup and Carrington were the same draft class. I don't know if Carrington will get back to the 280-285 range and play LE or if he stays around 300 and plays DT. He could be a utility-type player with his build. Passing down DT, run down DE.

Edwards has been a dissapointment, and now he'll be facing guards and centers more than tackles and guards. He's a very expensive backup.

Beebe's Kid
03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Troup and Carrington were the same draft class. I don't know if Carrington will get back to the 280-285 range and play LE or if he stays around 300 and plays DT. He could be a utility-type player with his build. Passing down DT, run down DE.

Edwards has been a dissapointment, and now he'll be facing guards and centers more than tackles and guards. He's a very expensive backup.
Edwards has been worth the money, I feel. He doesn't have sexy stats, but he has been good, and it would be great problem to have to have him come in the game when a regular gets gassed, or hurt.

I think Carrington has looked really good despite limited time on the field. I would like to see more of him, and even Moats. Both guys appear to have good athletic ability. Troup has been a disappointment, or was his rookie year, and essentially missed all of last season.

If we add a few more pieces we are going to have a bad ass D.

THRILLHO
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM

Even though its just talk, its good to hear that from one of our coaches. And by our one signing, and another visit it is obvious that he is serious about it.

Jeff1220
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Wanny seems a lot like Wade in that he is one heck of a defensive coordinator, but please don't give the guy a HC job.

TigerJ
03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I think the Bills listed Carrington as a DT after the switch to a 4-3. Personally, I would have thought he'd end up as a backup behind Mario Williams at LDE. DT is pretty crowded right now with Williams and Dareus as locks to start, and then Troup, Heard, Carrington, Edwards etc. Some of that will have to be trimmed off the roster by the regular season.

ZAZusmc03
03-21-2012, 12:30 AM
I love how this line is shaping up. I know everyone was pumped about the Mario signing, but I was pumped even before then just know we were going back to a 4-3. Dareus and big Kyle are going to be vicious in the middle. Super Mario is only going to make the two of them unstoppable.

Not to mention, Dareus has 2 great veterans next to him to help him grow. I love itttttt

BertSquirtgum
03-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Was George Edwards ever this outspoken? Did he just sit there with his finger up his butt while occasionally sniffing it?

thenry20
03-21-2012, 02:26 AM
Of course it's a collective effort! Does anybody think the Giants or 49ers have 1 or 2 pass rushers that get all the acclaim? Hell no. It's the 4 guys upfront they all fear.

Manning may have won 2 Super Bowls but even he knows where his bread is buttered. This is why he is disrespected so just like the Spurs were. They won mainly because of their D. Why do people bemoan this fact? I thought it was just about winning championships as a team not individual stars.

Mahdi
03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Of course it's a collective effort! Does anybody think the Giants or 49ers have 1 or 2 pass rushers that get all the acclaim? Hell no. It's the 4 guys upfront they all fear.

Manning may have won 2 Super Bowls but even he knows where his bread is buttered. This is why he is disrespected so just like the Spurs were. They won mainly because of their D. Why do people bemoan this fact? I thought it was just about winning championships as a team not individual stars.
Actually the Niners and Giants have different pass rush styles. The Niners is more of a player based pass rush as Aldon Smith is really their only true pass rusher. They designed things to get him freed up. Brooks is a decent pass rusher but not a pure one like Smith.

The Giants on the other hand have a more unit based rush as everyone is expected to get in the backfield and force the blocking scheme to pick their poison. We're looking like the Giants with what we have going.

k-oneputt
03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Neither Kelsay or Edwards will be on the opening day roster.
They make to much money for what you get out of them and are both older.