• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Andre Reed, HOF arguments

So I'm discussing Hines Ward with people on another board. Some of them think he should be in the HOF (I don't).

Along those lines, I'm wondering what the arguments are for Andre Reed to be in the HOF? Also, was he a good blocker? I'll be honest, I don't remember watching him (though I might have when I was really young), so I'm hoping to hear from those who did watch him play. What are the statistics/main points that people use to argue for putting Reed in the HOF?

I'd like to compare Reed to Ward and make the point that if Reed isn't in, Ward shouldn't be either.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Andre Reed, HOF arguments

Originally posted by psubills62
    So I'm discussing Hines Ward with people on another board. Some of them think he should be in the HOF (I don't).

Along those lines, I'm wondering what the arguments are for Andre Reed to be in the HOF? Also, was he a good blocker? I'll be honest, I don't remember watching him (though I might have when I was really young), so I'm hoping to hear from those who did watch him play. What are the statistics/main points that people use to argue for putting Reed in the HOF?

I'd like to compare Reed to Ward and make the point that if Reed isn't in, Ward shouldn't be either.
    Rings / no rings, don't look into it much further.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

I honestly don't think Reed should be in. Certainly not before some of the other WR's currently sitting on the outside.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        I honestly don't think Reed should be in. Certainly not before some of the other WR's currently sitting on the outside.
        I'm assuming Hines Ward is not one of those "other WR's" though.
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
          Rings / no rings, don't look into it much further.
          ? I'm looking for arguments as to why Reed SHOULD be in the HOF, not why he isn't.
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

I don't think either should be in.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
              Sab and TD are insignificant
              • Sep 2002

Arguments for why? How about fearless over the middle, excellent yac and if I am not mistaken isn't he an all-time leader in the playoffs for receiving yards and tds? That should be significant shouldn't it?
              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• mayotm
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                I don't think either should be in.
                You probably don't think Bruce, Kelly or Thomas belong either. You know, just to be different.
                Last edited by mayotm; 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• DasBills
                  • Sep 2011

I'm so torn on Reed and the HOF. I think he should get in eventually, but there are other WR's more deserving that should get in first.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                    Sab and TD are insignificant
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DasBills
                    I'm so torn on Reed and the HOF. I think he should get in eventually, but there are other WR's more deserving that should get in first.
                    Yeah, but one could make the argument that reed was a better WE than some who are already enshrined.
                    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DasBills
                      Eventually is an eternity ago. If Reed does not get in SOON he never will. Players like Hines Ward that played in the watered down NFL will be retiring. And they will have much better stats due to the rules changes. When Reed played receivers were hit all the way down the field, not this 5 yd from the OL BS.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by mayotm
                        You probably don't think Bruce, Kelly or Thomas belong either. You know, just to be different.
                        Andre Reed doesn't have the numbers that suggest he was a HOFer.

There's better receivers than him that still aren't in, Carter, Brown as examples.

Bruce Smith is a top 5 DE in NFL history...Thurman Thomas was Marshall Faulk before there was a Marshall Faulk...and Kelly QB'd a team that got to 4 straight SB's.

Andre Reed was an average NFL WR with numbers, on average, that parallel him to guys like Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Henry Ellard.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by better days
                          Eventually is an eternity ago. If Reed does not get in SOON he never will. Players like Hines Ward that played in the watered down NFL will be retiring. And they will have much better stats due to the rules changes. When Reed played receivers were hit all the way down the field, not this 5 yd from the OL BS.
                          im pretty sure the committee will factor that in.

andre reed is quite possibly the great rac wr ever. his acceleration and feel for openings was unreal. he was also one of the bravest wrs ever considering the time he played and how he made his living over the middle.

reed was an essential part of the 4superbowl run.
                          i think he has like over 7 or 8 pro bowls

andre reed also had incredible moments at key times. e.g. 3 tds in the comeback game.

andre reed was also a complete wr.
                          he was big, he was fast, he was quick, he had great hands, he was smart, he had every quality you want.

one could make the logical argument that if thomas, kelly, and lofton are in, than of course the number 1 wr from 86-97 should get in.

andre reed even into his mid 30s was still an above average wr.

i think hes top 10 in all major wr stats, catches, tds, yards, etc. if not, hes close.

to say andre shouldnt be in the hof is literally on par with saying jerry rice or michael irvin shouldnt get it. its a joke...
                          Last edited by NOT THE DUDE...; 03-20-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• DasBills
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by better days
                            I agree, he'll also be going up against the T.O.'s and Randy Moss' of the world.

Comment

• DasBills
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                              Yeah, but one could make the argument that reed was a better WE than some who are already enshrined.
                              Not that I disagree, but who in particular did you have in mind?

Comment

Working...
                              X