PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton Suspended for One Year

Slim
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow. This is unparalleled.

T-Long
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Sean Payton suspended the ENTIRE year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/21/goodell-lowers-boom-on-the-saints/

YardRat
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely.

Slim
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely.

Mickey Loomis has been suspended for eight game.

NOT THE DUDE...
HOLY ****!!!!!!

i thought it would be 4 games, lose 2nd rd pick and a fine of 150 gs...

wtf...

Slim
You have to wonder if Payton gets fired over this. This is a PR nightmare for the Saints.

Skooby
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Bills just moved up one notch on the draft board.

Slim
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=210817

DraftBoy
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Vitt also got 6 games. He was the guy they had already rumored to have tabbed to replace Payton.

Also losing 2nd Round picks in 2012 and 2013.

Slim
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Bills just moved up one notch on the draft board.

Saints get docked two 2nd round picks as well. Ouch.

Slim
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
This would almost kill my excitement for the football season is I was a Saints fan. Mind you, they don't have a first round pick this year. Their first pick will be in round 3.

HAMMER
03-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Moobs.

Mski
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
I heard there were ayers fined and suspended too?

NOT THE DUDE...
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
1st, 2nd and next years 2nd? holy **** dude

ddaryl
03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
wow massive moves from the NFL FO... Punishing Washington and Dallas and now all this.

Where was this NFL FO when the Patriots were involved in the video-gate crap...

DraftBoy
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM
1st, 2nd and next years 2nd? holy **** dude

No 1st.

Mski
I heard there were ayers fined and suspended too?
Players* not ayers

DraftBoy
wow massive moves from the NFL FO... Punishing Washington and Dallas and now all this.

Where was this NFL FO when the Patriots were involved in the video-gate crap...

One is a big deal and one is not.

The King
03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
How do you suspend a gm

Slim
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM
How do you suspend a gm
I was thinking the same thing.

DraftBoy
03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
How do you suspend a gm

He's banned from the facility and all contact.

Suspensions star 4/1 so he can't conduct their draft.

stuckincincy
03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
He's banned from the facility and all contact.

Suspensions star 4/1 so he can't conduct their draft.

And assistant head coach/linebackers coach Joe Vitt was suspended for 6 games without pay - so he's also out come draft day.

Philagape
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I say Belicheat should be retroactively suspended for a year too. :D

trapezeus
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
wow. also, i think it's ridiculous other teams have said they've done this as well to some degree and the saints get nailed while the patriots do something illegal and its said, "well to some degree everyone is trying to get an edge."

stuckincincy
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM
An excerpt from the NFL press release:

..."4. In each of the 2009-2011 seasons, the Saints were one of the top five teams in the league in roughing the passer penalties. In 2009 and 2011, the Saints were also in the top five teams in unnecessary roughness penalties; in 2010, the Saints ranked sixth in the category. In the January 16, 2010 divisional playoff game against the Arizona Cardinals, Saints defensive players were assessed $15,000 in fines for fouls committed against opposing players. The following week, in the NFC Championship Game against the Minnesota Vikings, Saints defensive players were assessed $30,000 in fines for four separate illegal hits, several of which were directed against quarterback Brett Favre."...

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/full_release_from_the_nfl_on_s.html

ddaryl
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
One is a big deal and one is not.

One is definitely a bigger deal, but the Patriots should of been punished more then they were. Cheating is cheating, it doesn;'t matter if others do it too.. I support more harsh punishments in this league to massively discourage teams and coaches from doing "whatever it takes" to win

However the punishments being handed out this year are very unprecedented, and they are obvioulsy being handed out to send the signal that these types of indiscretions will no longer be tolerated, and if they happen the punishments will be harsh

Devin
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
This was a pretty bad decision, not fair at all. A year, almost 8 mil in money? Payton will appeal almost certainly but to me this was overboard. Dont get me wrong a suspension was in order, but a full year? What did belicek get? 1 game?

I was figuring 4 maybe even 8 games. damn. Bad call imo.

Forward_Lateral
03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
This is not good news for Drew Brees staying in New Orleans, either. Who's going to negotiate his contract now?

What a ridiculous sentence. Sucks to be whichever team just hired Moobs to be their DC.

Buddo
03-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Stealing information to gain a competetive edge, is certainly cheating, and should not be tolerated.
Actively going out to try and injure another player, is also cheating, but on a whole different level. It is also almost certainly illegal from the viewpoint of the laws of the land.
Players careers in the NFL are often shortened dramatically by injury. They really don't need other players attempting to hurry the process along.
Payton got less than he deserved, imho. The more I think about it, he should be suspended for each year he condoned the practise, so that would be 3 years.
As Williams appears to have been doing this stuff for goodness knows how long, he should be permanently canned in respect of the NFL.

Have people forgotten what happened to Kevin Everett so soon? That was undoubtedly a pure accident, but if other players are going out to actively injure their peers, what would people be saying about something like that happening as a result of bounties?

I wonder how many players are out there who suffered bad injuries against the Saints in the last few years, who are wondering if their careers should be different?

SquishDaFish
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
I agree with all the suspensions handed down but not Paytons. I can see a few games but a whole season. How does that go down but Bellicheat doesnt get **** personally?

Forward_Lateral
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I saw on NFL network that there was a chance the authorities may have to get involved, as intentionally trying to hurt someone is battery.

Also, players who felt targeted could sue the league for unsafe work environments, etc.

I think Goddell is trying to end these possibilities with such a harsh punishment.

Mski
03-21-2012, 02:59 PM
I saw on NFL network that there was a chance the authorities may have to get involved, as intentionally trying to hurt someone is battery.

Also, players who felt targeted could sue the league for unsafe work environments, etc.

I think Goddell is trying to end these possibilities with such a harsh punishment.theres been mumblings for a few weeks now about a class action suit against the saints by players that were injured in their games

NOT THE DUDE...
03-21-2012, 03:07 PM
lets not be overly bias here... the pats lost their 1st rd pick and bellicheat was fined a half mil... cmon guys, i hate that team, but christ...

SquishDaFish
03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
IF the head coach Payton is gone for the year Bellicheat should of been too

SquishDaFish
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote from LAPlaya on my facebook post..

Payton getting fined basically $7.5 million dollars is a hell of a penalty, but get this team pays $500k but doesnt have to pay $7.5 mil in coach's salary doesnt seem right

imbondz
03-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I think the penalties are about right. Way more than I ever thought.

Meathead
03-22-2012, 04:47 AM
you know i looked and looked and looked before starting my thread on this subject. how did i miss it. was it in another forum and moved here or something? man i dont think i could have tried harder to find it in this forum. should merge the two

EricStratton
03-22-2012, 05:05 AM
The Yahoo article makes it seem like the Saints management and Peyton may have lied to the NFL when this was first looked at and part of this punishment is for that as well.

Don't screw with the shield.

Historian
03-22-2012, 07:01 AM
I would have thrown Williams out permanently.

Given Payton et al a one game suspension.

And stripped them of their Super Bowl title and trophy for that year.

But I still like Goddell's thinking. This is the biggest disciplinary action taken in sport since the Black Sox scandal, imo.

don137
03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
I can't help but think Brees will be a marked man this year by Saints opponents. No bounty or anything but just in the minds of their opponent of what they did and to get retribution.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Well most are saying Williams indefinite suspension will be a lifetime one.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Also let's be clear hear if you read the reports you can see what other teams had bounty programs including the Bears, Packers, and Giants. It was not just the Saints and they aren't being punished for having the program they are being punished for repeatedly lying about it.

stuckincincy
03-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Well most are saying Williams indefinite suspension will be a lifetime one.

Do you think he'll move to the college ranks?

better days
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
wow. also, i think it's ridiculous other teams have said they've done this as well to some degree and the saints get nailed while the patriots do something illegal and its said, "well to some degree everyone is trying to get an edge."

The Saints got nailed because they did this at a time the league was promoting player safety. Also, The Saints lied about it when they were first investigated for it. They continued to have a bounty program for three years after they were first investigated for it & continued to lie about it for three years.

trapezeus
03-22-2012, 09:00 AM
i recognize there is a difference between intent to injure and videotape cheating, but on a scale from 1-10, the saints just got blasted with a 10 and the pats got a 3.

it sounds like payton got a year for paterno-ing. He knew what was going on but did not do anything to stop it. Belichick did the same thing. he promoted the illegality of it.

Belichick needs to have gotten half year suspension based on this new precedent.

and the NFL is still talking tough right now about intent to injure where as the NFL shut down after they gave out their penalty and was like, "well that's over. don't worry about it."

and is anyone else thankful that this all came to light on some one else's watch? it seems like something that should have broken while on the bills and it was our season that would be lost.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Do you think he'll move to the college ranks?

Yes and I think he will be very well paid.

trapezeus
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
doesn't think really just depend on if he thinks indefinite suspension is lifetime or like vick. time off until the heat blows aside?

i think if he thinks its a year or two, he'll bide his time. if he thinks its a suspension for life, he'll go to the college ranks.