03-21-2012, 04:18 PM
We need a killer defense!

acehole
03-21-2012, 04:20 PM
We need a killer defense!

we are trading down....stay tuned.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Best LB available isn't worth the #10 pick.

Good value for OLBs 2nd to 5th round.

Slim
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
That would probably be Kuechly. If we can sign a LT before the draft (Bell, Mcneil, Collins), I would be happy with Kuechly, Floyd, Martin, Reiff, Kirkpatrick. I would take a long look at Lavonte David in the 2nd if he's there.

That being said, singing a LT in the next month can really give us flexibility come late April.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 04:29 PM

I'd love this.

gonzo1105
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I have also been thinking about this lately so i'm glad someone brought this up. I read the post about how much Kuechly compared to Willis coming out of college either on this board or another and thought man if Kuechly is 80% of what Patrick Willis is than he should be the pick. I mean we are building something great on the defensive side. Drafting Kuechly and moving Shepard to SAM backer would make quite a bit of sense and would greatly strengthen our line backing core. He could be worth it at the 10th pick as a lot of people think he could very well end up either going at pick # 11 or 12 to either Kansas City or Seattle.

BillsFanCupp38
03-21-2012, 04:55 PM
The best player available should be our pick!

JCBills
03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I have also been thinking about this lately so i'm glad someone brought this up. I read the post about how much Kuechly compared to Willis coming out of college either on this board or another and thought man if Kuechly is 80% of what Patrick Willis is than he should be the pick. I mean we are building something great on the defensive side. Drafting Kuechly and moving Shepard to SAM backer would make quite a bit of sense and would greatly strengthen our line backing core. He could be worth it at the 10th pick as a lot of people think he could very well end up either going at pick # 11 or 12 to either Kansas City or Seattle.

Lol whatnow?

They shouldn't even be in the same conversation.

If there was any comparison to be made he would be considered a top 5 pick, which he is not.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
its going to be martin, if bell is not resigned. if bell is resigned its going to be kirkpatrick

Slim
03-21-2012, 05:03 PM

I would LOVE this.

YardRat
03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm Ok with an o-lineman, corner, or even WR, although I really hate to drift from a 'go big early' philosophy.

Devin
03-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Personally id agree, id love to see a top end pass rusher, lb or db added to this team at #10. This team now has the potential for a playoff calibur defense. Upshaw would be a sick addition to this D.

gonzo1105
03-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Lol whatnow?

If there was any comparison to be made he would be considered a top 5 pick, which he is not.

I am not saying there is a comparison. I just read something that compared Willis's combine numbers to Kuechley's and actually Kuechley was better in almost all categories than Willis. I mean their college careers are quite comparable to. I'll try to find the stats for you but like I said if Kuechley is 80% the player that Willis was coming out you gotta take him.

Here is the comparison that I saw:

Kuechly Willis
Height 6'3 6'1
Weight 242 242
40 time 4.58 4.51
Vertical Jump 38 inches 39 inches
Broad Jump 123 inches 119

BuffaloBlitz83
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Wr

JCBills
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Personally id agree, id love to see a top end pass rusher, lb or db added to this team at #10. This team now has the potential for a playoff calibur defense. Upshaw would be a sick addition to this D.

Lol people are still on the Upshaw lovefest?

The dude isn't worth the #10 pick to a 4-3 team. Maybe even not for a 3-4 team.

Why draft a questionable fit rotational player at #10 overall? It doesn't make sense.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 05:22 PM
I am not saying there is a comparison. I just read something that compared Willis's combine numbers to Kuechley's and actually Kuechley was better in almost all categories than Willis. I mean their college careers are quite comparable to. I'll try to find the stats for you but like I said if Kuechley is 80% the player that Willis was coming out you gotta take him.

Here is the comparison that I saw:

Kuechly Willis
Height 6'3 6'1
Weight 242 242
40 time 4.58 4.51
Vertical Jump 38 inches 39 inches
Broad Jump 123 inches 119

Similar test results doesn't warrant any sort of Willis comparison.

You could look up (insert good or great player's name)'s combine results and compare them to (insert average, bad pick, or bust player's name)'s results and see they are similar.

Then you could watch those two players play and find out which one is the real deal and which one is hype. You can find awful players with great combine results.

Now I'm not saying he will be awful, but test results are not reason to compare them as players.

X-Era
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
At this point I think OT or CB may be the first pick. Martin or Kirkpatrick and the size and man coverage skills may lead us to Kirkpatrick.

However, I'd have no issue with Keuchly and Zach Brown 1 and 2.

I think LB is a bigger need than CB or WR to be honest. I think tackling machines iun the middle and guys that can cover lots of ground on the outside are very important in a 4-3. The screens and seams will be constantly exploited when we go after a heavy pass rush unless we have guys that can tackle on an island and close to the LOS in the middle and guys that will be right there on the underneath game.

Cali512
03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
You can get by with a mid level LB, WR/OT you need to be close to elite in. Ellison was the worst OLB ive seen in a bills uni, but he also never cost us games. An OT and WR can cost us games. See Mike Williams and Stevie Johnsons (2-3 drops)

gonzo1105
03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Similar test results doesn't warrant any sort of Willis comparison.

You could look up (insert good or great player's name)'s combine results and compare them to (insert average, bad pick, or bust player's name)'s results and see they are similar.

Then you could watch those two players play and find out which one is the real deal and which one is hype. You can find awful players with great combine results.

Now I'm not saying he will be awful, but test results are not reason to compare them as players.

Ok, look at their college stats too because if you want to compare that Kuechly blows Willis's out of the water.

Patrick Willis stats:
GP Solo Ast Total TFL/Yds No-Yds Int-Yds
12 87 50 137 11.5-44 3.0-25 . 7 1 1-2 2
10 90 38 128 9.5-42 3.0-28 1-0 3 2 1-0 2
10 54 16 70 11.0-62 5.0-39 . 1 4 1-0 1
13 16 4 20 1.0-6 . . . 1

Luke Kuechly Stats:
Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
102 89 191 12.0 0.0 3 71 23.7 1 6 0 0 0 0
110 73 183 10.5 1.5 3 31 10.3 0 6 0 0 0 2
87 71 158 13.0 1.0 1 28 28.0 1 5 0 0 0 0

Now Willis's top numbers are his senior season at Ole Miss and going down Junior, Soph, Fresh. Kuechly's numbers are his Junior, Soph, then Fresh years. Once again, I wanna make it clear i'm not trying to say Kuechly is Patrick Willis but after comparing Willis and Kuechly on their combine numbers, which are quite similar, and seeing Kuechly's college production against Willis, I think that Kuechly gets an unfair rap here because of another white MLB named Pozluszny. If Keuchly is 80% of the player that Willis is in such a weak draft, I dont see how you pass him up at 10.

X-Era
03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
You can get by with a mid level LB, WR/OT you need to be close to elite in. Ellison was the worst OLB ive seen in a bills uni, but he also never cost us games. An OT and WR can cost us games. See Mike Williams and Stevie Johnsons (2-3 drops)Eesh... I really don't agree.

If we want to take full advantage of this pass rush DL, we need LB'ers that can tackle at the LOS, close the gap fast, and cover lots of ground... The short game becomes important as QB's like Brady throw past the rusher into the short middle and flat. And if we do get held up at the line, the seams can be exploited if you don't have guys that can keep up with TE's or slot WR's like Hernandez and Gronk.

We really can't afford average LB'ers if this will work.

Mr. Pink
03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking we should either go OT or CB...

Depending on which player at both of those positions is the BPA.

Trading down would be ideal to pick up a few extra picks, either in this years draft or next...

We do have several holes still and the more quality picks we can acquire, the more quality players we can acquire.

Bert102176
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I want Floyd we all know we need another good WR, after Johnson our WR's are 3rd or 4th string not 1 or even 2, besides Floyd, Reif would be my top OL guy I like Kalil but we don't have a shot at him unless we trade up, and if we were to trade up I would be all for Blackmon.

Bert102176
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
and Curry round 2 I know he is a DE but I think he will be DAMN good

JCBills
03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Ok, look at their college stats too because if you want to compare that Kuechly blows Willis's out of the water.

Patrick Willis stats:
GP Solo Ast Total TFL/Yds No-Yds Int-Yds
12 87 50 137 11.5-44 3.0-25 . 7 1 1-2 2
10 90 38 128 9.5-42 3.0-28 1-0 3 2 1-0 2
10 54 16 70 11.0-62 5.0-39 . 1 4 1-0 1
13 16 4 20 1.0-6 . . . 1

Luke Kuechly Stats:
Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR Yds TD FF
102 89 191 12.0 0.0 3 71 23.7 1 6 0 0 0 0
110 73 183 10.5 1.5 3 31 10.3 0 6 0 0 0 2
87 71 158 13.0 1.0 1 28 28.0 1 5 0 0 0 0

Now Willis's top numbers are his senior season at Ole Miss and going down Junior, Soph, Fresh. Kuechly's numbers are his Junior, Soph, then Fresh years. Once again, I wanna make it clear i'm not trying to say Kuechly is Patrick Willis but after comparing Willis and Kuechly on their combine numbers, which are quite similar, and seeing Kuechly's college production against Willis, I think that Kuechly gets an unfair rap here because of another white MLB named Pozluszny. If Keuchly is 80% of the player that Willis is in such a weak draft, I dont see how you pass him up at 10.

I'm not sure you understand the evaluation process.

I'm a big Poz fan, so that doesn't apply.

Bert102176
03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I really liked Poz also

djjimkelly
03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
You can get by with a mid level LB, WR/OT you need to be close to elite in. Ellison was the worst OLB ive seen in a bills uni, but he also never cost us games. An OT and WR can cost us games. See Mike Williams and Stevie Johnsons (2-3 drops)

eddie robinson at the stage he was in his career when he was in buffalo was the worst lb ive seen in a bills uniform

i still remember some qb shake and baking him real bad and it was a real slow qb

methos4ever
03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
If you look at other Wannstedt defenses, they rarely need to use (waste IMO) a high first round pick on a LB. Instead the picks would go to DL or DB. Given that we've re-built a defense in darn near half a week of the off-season, I figure it's going to be OL, WR or DB. But if it's Kirkpatrick, his man skills will get little use. Coach Wannstedt likes a cushion and zone preferably to prevent big plays. Think old school pro style cover 2 (jaguars) and not tampa 2.

Beebe
03-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Dont'a Hightower I like him for our defense not at number 10 but I would get FLOYD.

nolimit
03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
eddie robinson at the stage he was in his career when he was in buffalo was the worst lb ive seen in a bills uniform

i still remember some qb shake and baking him real bad and it was a real slow qb

chad pennington

TigerJ
03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Luke Kuechly is the best linebacker in the draft, and would be a reasonable value where the Bills are picking. Obviously, his natural position would be middle linebacker in the 4-3. Nix would have to decide how much better he is than Sheppard. The Bills thought he was the best inside linebacker in the 2011 draft since he was the first inside backer taken.

Buffalo doesn't have elite linebacking right now, but it's not terrible with Barnett and Morrison outside and Sheppard in the middle. They don't have any depth, and Barnett and Morrison aren't the youngest linebackers in the league.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Luke Kuechly is the best linebacker in the draft, and would be a reasonable value where the Bills are picking. Obviously, his natural position would be middle linebacker in the 4-3. Nix would have to decide how much better he is than Sheppard. The Bills thought he was the best inside linebacker in the 2011 draft since he was the first inside backer taken.

Buffalo doesn't have elite linebacking right now, but it's not terrible with Barnett and Morrison outside and Sheppard in the middle. They don't have any depth, and Barnett and Morrison aren't the youngest linebackers in the league.

That's pretty much how I see the OLB spot too, regarding Morrison and Barnett.

It isn't either of their natural positions, as both of them played inside on their former teams. They should have the skills to play them at least decently, but behind them there isn't anyone on the roster.

I like some of the OLBs in this class a lot. There are some good potential fit's for Wanny's style between the 2nd to 5th round range where the Bills have 6 picks. Hoping for at least one OLB taken in the 2nd to 4th but would like to see two taken when the draft comes to an end. They have filled a lot of holes, and should aggressively address what remains to be.

better days
03-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Chan has said that you need a GOOD DL & GOOD DBs. He said GOOD LBs are GRAVY.

I don't think you go for the gravy until the 2nd rnd at the earliest.

methos4ever
03-22-2012, 03:46 AM
That's pretty much how I see the OLB spot too, regarding Morrison and Barnett.

It isn't either of their natural positions, as both of them played inside on their former teams. They should have the skills to play them at least decently, but behind them there isn't anyone on the roster.

I like some of the OLBs in this class a lot. There are some good potential fit's for Wanny's style between the 2nd to 5th round range where the Bills have 6 picks. Hoping for at least one OLB taken in the 2nd to 4th but would like to see two taken when the draft comes to an end. They have filled a lot of holes, and should aggressively address what remains to be.
Back when they were a 4-3, Barnett played the Will. And Morrison has had over 100 tackles playing outside and in Nickel in all his spots.

Night Train
03-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Not understanding the Kuechly talk. Gailey already stated Sheppard is his MLB and Kirk Morrison looks to be his backup...and we need a 3rd MLB ?? Really ??

Brown of NC or David of Nebraska, OLB's that fit a need in Round 2, look more logical.

Then you can draft your LT in Round 1, a WR like Quick in Round 3 (or a big play TE) and then your 2-3 CB's later.

JCBills
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Back when they were a 4-3, Barnett played the Will. And Morrison has had over 100 tackles playing outside and in Nickel in all his spots.

Barnett was still inside when GB had a 4-3.

Not saying he can't play outside.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
If I had to mock an ideal Bills first four picks right now I would go;

1-WR Michael Floyd
2-LB Lavonte David
3-OT Matt McCants
4-LB Tank Carder

ddaryl
03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
The options for us @ #10 are many...

LB, CB, WR, OT and TE are all priorities

trading down is a solid game plan, but that comes down to trade partners as always...

BPA at #10 is also an option, outside RB any other position is a draft-able option at #10

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
There is not one LB in this class that I want at the #10 pick, the value for that class is in the mid rounds. It's just not a strong class for 43 guys at the LB position.

justasportsfan
03-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Not understanding the Kuechly talk. Gailey already stated Sheppard is his MLB and Kirk Morrison looks to be his backup...and we need a 3rd MLB ?? Really ??

Brown of NC or David of Nebraska, OLB's that fit a need in Round 2, look more logical.

Then you can draft your LT in Round 1, a WR like Quick in Round 3 (or a big play TE) and then your 2-3 CB's later.

Nix stated that if they thought there was a franchise qb last year, they still would have drafted one even with Fitz in the line-up. If they think that Kuechly is a franchise lb'er/BPA, Nix will most likely draft him.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Nix stated that if they thought there was a franchise qb last year, they still would have drafted one even with Fitz in the line-up. If they think that Kuechly is a franchise lb'er/BPA, Nix will most likely draft him.

I don't know that I've ever heard the term franchise LB'er before. I agree if there was a game changer at LB at 10 Nix wouldn't hesitate but that's not Kuechly and there isn't one in this class.

JCBills
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
There is not one LB in this class that I want at the #10 pick, the value for that class is in the mid rounds. It's just not a strong class for 43 guys at the LB position.

Thoughts on Bradham?

Bert102176
03-22-2012, 08:15 AM

1-WR Michael Floyd
2-LB Lavonte David
3-OT Matt McCants
4-LB Tank Carder

that would be an amazing draft in my opinion, good job bud

mysticsoto
03-22-2012, 08:20 AM

1-WR Michael Floyd
2-LB Lavonte David
3-OT Matt McCants
4-LB Tank Carder

That would make for a pretty good draft. Add prospect CBs and QB for 5-7

Jan Reimers
03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
The beauty of signing Williams and Anderson is that we are not tied to drafting any particular position, or reaching for the best player at a particular position.

We can go WR, OT, LB, CB, or BPA. We are no longer forced to take a player with less value, simply to fill a gaping hole.

The King
03-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Keuchly isn't Patrick Willis. He's not even close.

He is a rock solid LB that fills a position of need for a long time. If one of the top 2 tackles are gone, he could be the pick.

I do think Nix will take the best available though.

JCBills
03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Keuchly isn't Patrick Willis. He's not even close.

He is a rock solid LB that fills a position of need for a long time. If one of the top 2 tackles are gone, he could be the pick.

I do think Nix will take the best available though.

That or try to deal the pick if he isn't thrilled with who is available at #10.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Thoughts on Bradham?

Coverage LB who tackles well but isn't athletic enough to contain the edge and is stiff in his hips. Misses tackles too often for me.

JCBills
03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Coverage LB who tackles well but isn't athletic enough to contain the edge and is stiff in his hips. Misses tackles too often for me.

I thought he was a pretty sound tackler from what I've seen. He is a bit stiff in the hips, but I do think he has the athleticism and speed to be able to handle contain.

I thought Brown was more of a whiffer than Bradham. I love Brown's freakish aspect but he doesn't bring the intensity Bradham does. The dude is one of the biggest hitters in college football. Hits so hard that clean ones look dirty. He makes a lot of plays in coverage, and is willing to take on blockers. When he gets free he is a magnet to the ballcarrier. I think his flaws can be coached out for the most part.

PTI
03-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Bills are going to take Tanehill, this is what they are positioning themselves for now.

stuckincincy
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Bills are going to take Tanehill, this is what they are positioning themselves for now.

That's not a bad prediction, PTI. CLE might be sniffing, and BUF sure can't move up to their spot.

Tatonka
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM

it was chad ****ing pennington at the goal line. left robinsons jock on the turf.

k-oneputt
03-22-2012, 02:36 PM
If you want a lb trade down and take Hightower. Then take Burfict in the mid rounds.
Mario, Dareus, Williams, Anderson
Hightower, Shep, Burf

That would be a kick-a defense for years to come.

Tatonka
03-22-2012, 02:39 PM
burfict looked like the biggest pile of **** i have ever seen this season.

k-oneputt
03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
burfict looked like the biggest pile of **** i have ever seen this season.

He has issues but alot of upside. For a 4th or 5th rd pick I would take a chance on him.
We've blown picks for a decade so why not take a chance on this guy ?

JCBills
03-22-2012, 03:11 PM
If you want a lb trade down and take Hightower. Then take Burfict in the mid rounds.
Mario, Dareus, Williams, Anderson
Hightower, Shep, Burf

That would be a kick-a defense for years to come.

Why draft two non-fits to play OLB?

Both of those guys are inside backers. Burfict might somewhat fit strong side, but why, other than these guys being two recognizable names, do this?

That would be a very slow LB corps in a defense that requires speed.

Burfict has fallen a ton and has a laundry list of question marks. Hightower is a 3-4 ILB.

One would think that when needing OLBs that is what a team would go after.

JCBills
03-22-2012, 03:18 PM
He has issues but alot of upside. For a 4th or 5th rd pick I would take a chance on him.

Why add problems when looking for solutions?

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 03:49 PM

He blew his Pro Day, you're looking more at a 6th or 7th now for him.

k-oneputt
03-23-2012, 06:58 AM
He blew his Pro Day, you're looking more at a 6th or 7th now for him.

Even better. Use one of our 7th rd picks on him then instead of taking our usual wasted pick on a qb from Troy or a converted d-end from S.Dakota St.
But he won't be there that late imo. Someone will take a chance sooner. Pitt or Balt. Maybe Philly.

JCBills
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Even better. Use one of our 7th rd picks on him then instead of taking our usual wasted pick on a qb from Troy or a converted d-end from S.Dakota St.
But he won't be there that late imo. Someone will take a chance sooner. Pitt or Balt. Maybe Philly.

Or just draft a useful player.

Right.

k-oneputt
03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Or just draft a useful player.

Right.

You mean like the qb Brown ? from Troy, or Batten from S. Dakota St. ?

No I'd rather take the flier on the crazy lb from Ariz. St.. Guys like that sometimes land on their feet in this league and if he doesn't just another wasted late rd. pick.

Don't Panic
03-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm a big fan of Kuechly and I could see him fit with Barnett and Sheppard solely because our D line is going to generate 90+% of our pass rush, which makes our LBers less pass rush needy. They can play more of a OLB/ILB hybrid, pursuing the run game and focusing on pass coverage across the middle. If the staff feels like Shep can handle covering the TE position then I would see a fit.

I just don't see a lot of guys I like at #10. If OBD has fallen in love with one of the OTs then so be it, but otherwsie I could make a case that Kuechly will be the clear BPA at that spot.

Bill Cody
03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Lol whatnow?

Willis wasn't a top 5 pick. Very very few linebackers are. I would be happy with a tackling machine at 10.

mysticsoto
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't see any LBs worth our #10 spot. We are likely going with DE Coples, OT Reiff or more likely Martin, WR Floyd or CB Kirkpatrick. Unless a top pick falls to us, anything else is probably a reach.

The last buffalo fan
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Willis wasn't a top 5 pick. Very very few linebackers are. I would be happy with a tackling machine at 10.

We had Donte, and still have Kelsay. :ill:

BillsFanCupp38
09-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Insert words in mouth lol

Lol whatnow?

k-oneputt
09-02-2014, 10:02 AM
He didn't like Burfict either.

He must work in the Bills front office.

swiper
09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Thoughts on Bradham?

Gonna be a monster when Kiko gets drafted, then hurt and he steps in.

Don't Panic
09-02-2014, 07:12 PM
This is fun... especially all the authoritative comments.