PDA

View Full Version : Offense Neglect

casdhf
03-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Anyone else concerned we haven't done anything on offense? I think Chan may be overrating his talents a little bit. We're short on the OL, we definitely need a receiver or two, and Tyler Thigpen doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Thoughts?

Mindbender
03-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Wait for the draft. If we still haven't addressed it then I'd be concerned.

CleveSteve
03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
draft

YardRat
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
We still need an OT and o-line depth, a WR to emerge, and I would certainly like an upgrade at back-up QB at least. It appears that they are comfortable with who we have on the offensive side of the ball and although I may not agree I hope they end up being right.

IMO they look at the roster from early last season and pretty much believe they can put points on the board with the status quo, and a better defense will only help the other side improve on that.

Luisito23
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Plus there might be a late cut that might interest Nix.

SquishDaFish
03-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Still got time bro Still got time. Defense (rushing the passer) was our MAIN area to address now thats done. Taking care of LT and one more WR is still to come Im sure. Draft solid and we are good

JCBills
03-21-2012, 05:12 PM
They have 9 picks in the draft, and Nix has stated getting more isn't out of the question.

There were only 5 games where they didn't crack 20 points. They averaged over 30 ppg for the first 5 weeks. They finished 14th in ppg, and could have been higher without the injuries.

This team was lucky to score two TDs in a game before last season. The offense has turned around, now the defense needs to do the same, and that is what they're trying to do.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
You simply can't address every need in free agency.

zone
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Our offense will be fine and it was last year. We can score enough points to win games. I didn't like the offense talent in FA and it all got overpaid, we stole the best deal in re-signing Stevie.

As was said we have 9 picks in the draft.

doug45
Anyone else concerned we haven't done anything on offense? I think Chan may be overrating his talents a little bit. We're short on the OL, we definitely need a receiver or two, and Tyler Thigpen doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Thoughts?

I am very worried. I don't think we can count on the draft. Most drafted players can not play the first year up to NFL standards. Also after the past 12 or so drafts we really don't have a very good record of making good ones. We need Ol and a QB and I don't see that happening with these guys.

NOT THE DUDE...
im guessing they go with martin if bell is not resigned... i didnt know gailey said he didnt think hairston could be there starting LT... it was on wgr a month ago or so...

hell they still might draft martin even if they do resign bell

dont rule out kirkpatrick

in my mock i have them taking a de in rd 2. im guessing that pick will probably be a wr now... praying stephen hill is still there...

thenry20
03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
1. Johnson re-signed
2. Nix has promised Fred will be extended before training camp.
3. Bell was tendered a contract which he hasn't signed. Yet.
4. Remember they tried to sign Meachum.
5. Chandler signed a 2 year contract.

This is hardly nothing. Honestly, do you follow the news at all? I'm sure you may not have heard of them all but to say nothing is being done is ludicrous.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I am very worried. I don't think we can count on the draft. Most drafted players can not play the first year up to NFL standards. Also after the past 12 or so drafts we really don't have a very good record of making good ones. We need Ol and a QB and I don't see that happening with these guys.

I think you can count on the draft.

You can't possibly address every need in free agency. At least not to the unrealistic level some seem to expect.

You bring a guy in via FA and it could take him 10 games or a season to adjust to the team. It goes both ways.

This is a completely different FO, and they have been drafting well since coming in.

People need to be realistic and also realize this ain't your old Bills.

wmoz11
03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Even with the musical chair on the o-line, we were the 4th rated unit in the league according to ProFootball Focus. I expect Hairston to improve and be serviceable even if we don't draft an OT early.

We definitely need a speedy receiver and I expect that to be addressed early in the draft. Beyond that, I like our QB and running backs as much as you can. Wouldn't mind drafting an athletic, project TE.

casdhf
03-21-2012, 05:45 PM
1. Johnson re-signed

This is hardly nothing. Honestly, do you follow the news at all? I'm sure you may not have heard of them all but to say nothing is being done is ludicrous.

We've maintained the status quo, which was good enough for 6 wins. I'm not saying we won't be better, I'm just saying that it worries me some.

Buddo
03-21-2012, 06:00 PM
With Bell not re-signed, on Offense we have regressed, but not by much. Hagan, imho, is an upgrade over both Jones and Roosevelt atm. Jones might have more upside, but I'd still rather have Hagan.
We need a WR to emerge, or be drafted. Easley still has a chance.
I'm pretty certain we will probably bring in a vet WR or two to see what they've got.
Give it another month or so, so he can prove himself healthy, and I would say there's an outside chance we could go after McNeil.
While Bell is supposed to be still negotiating with the Skins as of yesterday, with the buzz surrounding the Bills atm, he might still make his way back here.
We will be getting an OT or two, somewhere. It's a distinct need, and it will be filled.
Note that at the combine, Nix felt that this years OT class was deep, so they may be looking to draft a couple.
I'd also be pretty confident that they could find a WR in the draft, assuming they use a 1st or 2nd round pick on one.
Currently, for the first time in years, the bills have definitely strengthened their roster through FA, and we haven't finished yet. And we have 9 picks.
Aside from getting almost all of our own re-signed, we have made two big additions to our biggest need, i.e. a pass rush.
The D is a couple of LBers and a CB or two, away from being pretty darn well sorted out, including depth.

Pinkerton Security
03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Our offense was decent last year. Our Defense was HORRIBLE.

I am still not happy with the O but the D was light years worse. I think we should now concentrate on bolstering O-line and a WR in the draft. If we can get an impact guy at each of one of those positions I think we are a tough game for anyone.

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Our offense will be fine and it was last year. We can score enough points to win games. I didn't like the offense talent in FA and it all got overpaid, we stole the best deal in re-signing Stevie.

As was said we have 9 picks in the draft.

Good point. Re-signing Stevie WAS addressing the offense. Only so much you can do, so many dollars you can spend. Stevie, Mario, now Anderson...a lot of coin just went out the door at OBD.

Cali512
03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Floyd number 1, OT 2, Chandler Jones/Cam Johnson 3. 4 OLB

alnilla
03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Resign Bell. Draft OT first round and then a swing guard/center in the later rounds and a WR. Rest of the draft do defense and we win the division next year

ServoBillieves
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
We had a severely injured line that we had to keep shuffling like a deck of cards.

A healthy Pears, Urbik, Wood, Levitre, and I'll even say Hairston at this point is enough time for Fred to split the middle or Fitzy to hit the slant or hole for 5+ yards. With 3 downs, put the math together there.

Stevie is a nuke to 'Revis Island' twice a year. This team wanted to build through the draft, and we drafted Easley. Easley has shown potential but we can't even point the finger when he has a HEART problem. We all root for Roosevelt and Hagan, but we know what we have a #1 and #3 in Nelson. That #2 is either Jones or ?...

WR is a dime a dozen. We don't have a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Megatron, et cetera. Once you get past those freaks of nature there are just people who can catch the ball in traffic, can out run the

Goobylal
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM
What they need on offense is Hairston to be a stud LT or Bell to re-sign (there is no rookie LT that can come in and start for them) and a stud #2/#1 WR to complement Stevie (Floyd). Every other position is set. Oh and I'd also take a QB in the 3rd round or later.

Night Train
03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
D always comes first.

LT and A big threat at WR or TE looks like a lock on draft weekend. Our best off-season in memory.

Philagape
03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Not too worried. There are no offensive FAs out there that would have been better than what they've done on defense. I'd like to see a tackle in the draft. The offense was clicking pretty well until injuries hit; the defense needed addressing way more.

Plus, having a monster d-line will help the offense by causing turnovers and letting the loaded running game get more touches without having to play catch-up all the time.

Night Train
03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Not too worried. There are no offensive FAs out there that would have been better than what they've done on defense. I'd like to see a tackle in the draft. The offense was clicking pretty well until injuries hit; the defense needed addressing way more.

Plus, having a monster d-line will help the offense by causing turnovers and letting the loaded running game get more touches without having to play catch-up all the time.
Pin this post to the top. Perfect.

tomz
03-21-2012, 07:40 PM
1. Johnson re-signed

Adding to that:

Pears re-signed
Urbik, Rinehart tendered
Hagan re-signed

That's more than half of the OL (counting the Bell offer) dealt with.

tomz
03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
What they need on offense is Hairston to be a stud LT or Bell to re-sign (there is no rookie LT that can come in and start for them) and a stud #2/#1 WR to complement Stevie (Floyd). Every other position is set. Oh and I'd also take a QB in the 3rd round or later.
\
Actually, stud rookie LTs come in and start and play well all of the time. And they should be in a position to draft one.

jimbohastle51
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM

I firmly believe we will take Floyd at 10. He will be more than enough offensive firepower to add. I also believe you are going to see Bell re-sign soon because of lack of interest on the market for him as a starting LT. the money is not on the right side and that is all he has drawn interest for. will Bell re-signed and Floyd drafted with the 10th pick, i then see us taking a corner in the 2nd round and then another receiving TE in the 3rd. no you have 2 very gifted starting receivers, 2 LT's in Bell and hairston and 2 TE's in chandler and a draft pick. mind both of the players i am predicting the Bills to take will be taken in the top 100 picks so you are getting to of the drafts premier talents at each position. I think that is the perfect firepower.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
We've maintained the status quo, which was good enough for 6 wins. I'm not saying we won't be better, I'm just saying that it worries me some.

Because the offense totally lost all those games right?

They addressed the weakest part of the team, the defense, specifically the pass rush. That isn't maintaining the status quo. They aggressively addressed their biggest weakness. How can you even say that?

Dr. Pepper
03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
WR and OT in the first 2 rounds, aaaaaaaand we're set.

JCBills
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I firmly believe we will take Floyd at 10. He will be more than enough offensive firepower to add. I also believe you are going to see Bell re-sign soon because of lack of interest on the market for him as a starting LT. the money is not on the right side and that is all he has drawn interest for. will Bell re-signed and Floyd drafted with the 10th pick, i then see us taking a corner in the 2nd round and then another receiving TE in the 3rd. no you have 2 very gifted starting receivers, 2 LT's in Bell and hairston and 2 TE's in chandler and a draft pick. mind both of the players i am predicting the Bills to take will be taken in the top 100 picks so you are getting to of the drafts premier talents at each position. I think that is the perfect firepower.

I keep seeing you say this, and how you know Gailey and Nix are very high on Floyd.

Is this based on anything? Or is it just personal desire being projected?

PromoTheRobot
03-22-2012, 12:39 AM
The defense sure isn't status quo. How many wins could that add?

PTR

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-22-2012, 06:44 AM
I would like them to get another WR, other than that, I think Chan can work with the O-line that he has. I think the system he runs, you don't need the best OL out there. What I would think he needs good enough run blocking and the quick throw passing game works with what he has. Of course, if you can upgrade you do it.

justasportsfan
03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
without having a replacement for Bell YET, we regressed personel wise, but system wise, I ithink we'll be even better since there is continuity going into the 3rd year of Chans system plus a full OTA and camp.

JCBills
03-22-2012, 07:33 AM
I keep seeing you say this, and how you know Gailey and Nix are very high on Floyd.

Is this based on anything? Or is it just personal desire being projected?

Still also waiting on where you heard this from as I asked in another thread.

trapezeus
03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
last year's D = not NFL grade
last year's O = very good early, not deep enough to keep it going.

so they needed to make the D better which they have on paper.

The o could stay healthy and have a run. they need depth, but i think we agree the starting OL is a good starting OL. Hairston will need to prove himself unless the bills take a LT in round 1. but then, we have a great back up there. we need a back up center for the inevitable wood injury.

I don't know about QB. thigpen doesn't give me a great feeling but Fitz played injured. And for me, this is fitz's year to win people over for good. Great season and he's the starter for the majority of his contract. mediocre to not good, he's done as a starter. And if that happens, the bills will need more than a better thigpen. they'll need a legit starter. and i'd want that to come in round 1 of next year's draft.

mjt328
03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
We definitely have holes on offense (left tackle and wide receiver), but I think we have made great strides this offseason. Hopefully we can find a few gems in the draft.

I could see us pulling off a scenario like this on draft day:
Michael Floyd (1st Round), Mike Adams (2nd Round)
or
Riley Reiff (1st Round), Alshon Jeffery (2nd Round)

And don't forget that our offense lost Fred Jackson, Eric Wood, Demetrius Bell and practically every wide receiver on the roster last year. We were doing pretty well up until those guys went down.