PDA

View Full Version : Source: Tim Tebow can pick team

BLeonard
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7718133/tim-tebow-pick-trade-new-york-jets-jacksonville-jaguars-source-says

Jacksonville or New York? Tim Tebow's future is up to him.

After a trade that would have sent the Broncos quarterback to the New York Jets hit a contract-related snag Wednesday afternoon, a league source tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Tebow can choose whether Denver deals the former Heisman Trophy winner to his hometown Jaguars or to Rex Ryan's Jets.

Word spread rapidly Wednesday that the Jets had acquired Tebow from Denver for draft picks, the teams encountered a hang-up in the language in Tebow's contract that put the trade on hold, a Broncos source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

In Tebow's contract is a $6.2 million salary advance, of which $1.2 million already has been paid by Denver, sources told Schefter. The difference of $5 million is still advanced against his future salary, and that burden would shift to the Jets in a trade. The Jets, sources said, believe the Broncos should owe Tebow that money.

I know we have a Tebow thread already, but figured people would want to know this...

If I'm Tebow, picking the Jags is the obvious choice. For the following reasons:

1: Jacksonville is his hometown, he'd damn near be a God there (actual NFL ability notwithstanding)

2: In Jacksonville, you have to think he has a better shot at a starting job than he does in Jersey. Remember, the Jets recently signed Mark Sanchez to a contract extension. If Tebow goes to the Jets, the best I can forsee him getting is a "slash" type position, kinda like what Brad Smith has with the Bills.

-Bill

tampabay25690
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Good for him....
I didn't want to see him in new York if this is true

BertSquirtgum
03-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't like him one bit because he reminds me of a bible thumper but he doesn't deserve to go to the Jets. I hope he gets to go to Jacksonville where he will be treated like a king. I can respect a guy who cares that much for my lord and savior, Jesus.

Cali512
03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
I dont think he wanted to be there. Jacksonville is Tebows destiny, its a running team, in his college and hometown, they need a QB and they need a player fans can fall in love with

YardRat
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
The Jets agreed to take on the financial obligation.

EricStratton
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Woody and Rex want a star and they want the back pages of the NY tabloids. His ability has nothing to do with it.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Tebow is already considered a God in Jacksonville.

TMu11
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Another reason he should have picked Jax: rather 4... the Bills D line

thenry20
03-22-2012, 12:57 AM
It's too bad he wasn't allowed to choose his team in the end.

Miami would've been a better fit for him because he would've been able to compete for the starting job IMHO.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Word is he chose Jets, confirmed on Mike and Mike this morning. Jags offered 4th as well which is 7 spots ahead of the Jets 4th (a reason the Jets have to throwing 6th). Jags would give back the Broncos $3 mil whereas the Jets only $2.5 mil. Since they are comparable, Elways gave Tebow the choice and the rest is history.

Now does he want to fight off Gabbert or Sanchez? Do Rex Ryan and their new OC really want Tebow or the Jags want him more? If you are Tebow, these are not simple slam dunk questions to answer.

stuckincincy
03-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Now does he wants to fight off Gabbert or Sanchez? Does Rex Ryan and their new OC really want Tebow or the Jags want him more? If you are Tebow, these are not simple slam dunk questions to answer.

Indeed - they were not.

I'd like to hear some Jets' fans chime in - Sanchez is a lightning rod in his own fashion. His work ethic seems miles away from Tebow's.

Were I a Jet fan, I'd be happy about the trade. It certainly spices things up, and who among us doesn't like a shiny new toy?

Bill Cody
03-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I think it will be harder for Tebow to displace Sanchez that Gabbert because of the recent extension for Sanchez, money does talk in the NFL. So it's a curious decision for Tim, if indeed he made the call.

On the other hand Sanchez has to be beside himself, deep down he's not exactly self assured as we all know. He pulled a fit when Rexy let Mark Brunelle take a few snaps in practice last year and Brunelle wasn't even a mild threat to Sanchez's job. Now if Sanchez has a bad quarter never mind a bad game "the faithful" will be all over him, nightmare scenario.

But interesting for us. The subplots are potentially fascinating. Sanchez is not known for his clutch play, Tebow is, what happens when Rexy puts Mark on the pine for last 2 minutes of a game? It would be unreal if Rex at some point decides to go "old ball coach" and has them alternating series. Makes me laugh to think about it. Sanchez would wilt like a Fall petunia.

Bill Cody
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I wonder if Tebow chose NY because it's a bigger audience to market his religion.

SquishDaFish
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I cant remember where I saw it but I read the reason he chose NY over Jax is because Jax was offering him to be a special teams player and 3rd QB

Oaf
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Somehow I doubt this story was true..

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Somehow I doubt this story was true..

Elway himself said they were on and off the phone with Tebow asking him which team he most wanted to go to. He chose the Jets for some stupid reason.

BleedinGreenNC
03-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Indeed - they were not.

I'd like to hear some Jets' fans chime in - Sanchez is a lightning rod in his own fashion. His work ethic seems miles away from Tebow's.

Were I a Jet fan, I'd be happy about the trade. It certainly spices things up, and who among us doesn't like a shiny new toy?

I really dont know what to think, im still confused as to why they traded for hiim

Beebe
03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Every time Sanchez misses on a throw they will be calling TEBOW specially on 3rd down.bad,bad move.

better days
03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Elway himself said they were on and off the phone with Tebow asking him which team he most wanted to go to. He chose the Jets for some stupid reason.

Well, Tebow said he HAD NO SAY where he went. Elway & the Broncos chose to send Tebow to the Jets, it was NOT Tebows choice. Tebow said this after the reports he chose the Jets.

Before the Tebow trade happened, Monica Culpepper, Brad Culpeppers wife said on a Tampa radio station that she, Brad & Tim had dinner the night before. She said Tebow knew Manning was going to go to the Broncos & that Tebow said he MISSED Florida & wanted to go to Florida & play QB. Brad Culpepper is an attorney, former Gator & former Buc for those that do not know him.

I think the Broncos chose the Jets because Elway & the Broncos knew the Jets would give Tebow limited opportunities to play. Had they sent Tebow to a place he would have started & he played well, it would have looked BAD for Elway & the Broncos, especially if Peyton does not match what Tebow did last year. Win a playoff game.

Either Elway or Tebow lied about Tebow getting to choose where he went. Who do you think lied, Elway or Tebow?

I would say Elway LIED without question.

Oaf
03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Mike Mularkey basically said they offered the 4th, but not the 6th, and couldn't do a 3rd. Therefore it was simply the DEN FO maximizing the trade value. Either they're liars or there was misinformation, but it wasn't a Tebow decision.

better days
03-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Mike Mularkey basically said they offered the 4th, but not the 6th, and couldn't do a 3rd. Therefore it was simply the DEN FO maximizing the trade value. Either they're liars or there was misinformation, but it wasn't a Tebow decision.

The Jags 4th was higher than the Jets 4th. Still, if the Jags WANTED Tebow they could have made it happen. I really think the owner is not serious about keeping the team in Jax. They will get fewer fans than ever to the games, knowing they could have had Tebow & passed. And they have NOBODY at QB that is as good as Tebow.

I think the Broncos purpousely put out misinformation that made it LOOK like Tebow had a choice where to go but it was REALLY the Broncos that made that choice.

One thing is certain, the Jets wanted Tebow & were willing to pay cash to the Broncos to get him.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-23-2012, 07:08 AM
I still contend that this moved made the Jets a better team on the field. I can tell you that Chan/Wannstedt would rather prepare for Sanchez and Sanchez only.