PDA

View Full Version : What a slap in the face to Goose

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
NASHVILLE -- Predators general manager David Poile said that when he arrived at Nashville International Airport on Tuesday night to pick up Alexander Radulov, Radulov gave Poile a hug.

It marked the start of a new chapter in what has been an awkward relationship and a situation that Poile called "very upsetting from a contractual standpoint." On Wednesday, the Predators made it official, lifting the high-scoring winger's suspension after four years of playing in the KHL. He will practice for the first time with the Predators on Wednesday and fly with the team to Pittsburgh, where he and coach Barry Trotz will decide if he will make his debut on Thursday against the Penguins or on Saturday at home against Winnipeg. Radulov passed a physical in the morning before practice.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=623372

they aquire Gaustad at the deadline and now Gaustad is going to not get to play because Radulov is going to take his roster spot. Now I hope that Nashville doesn't win the Cup

YardRat
03-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Good. A little incentive to return to Buffalo this off season isn't a bad thing.

Crisis
03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
1st rounder for a healthy scratch!

actually, is it even confirmed he'll be sitting? or are you just blindly speculating.

TMu11
03-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree with YardRat. If this is true, it only makes it easier to get him back this offseason

OpIv37
03-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Do we want Goose back?

Don't get me wrong. He was one of my favorite players for a long time, but we look like a better team without him.

That being said, we do lack size and toughness.

G Wolly
03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
So yes, we do.

clumping platelets
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I want Goose back but he's gonna hafta take less than he was paid before.......say 2 yrs-$4 million or 3yrs-$5.5 million

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-22-2012, 05:08 AM
You made me go through that entire article to find nothing on Goose sitting.

SabreEleven
03-22-2012, 05:21 AM
Maybe LW is an expert on the Nashville roster....

trapezeus
03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
i'm luke warm on goose's return.

we lack size and grit, and all he kind of offers is faceoff wins and size. his grit has died down over the years.

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Gaustad is a center and Radulov is a winger, why would they sit a center?

PTI
03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Faceoffs are premium, Gausted will play in the playoffs.

SkateZilla
03-22-2012, 09:17 AM
slap in the face to other teams that tried to bring players back from the KHL only to have them clear waivers and get claimed by someone else first.

SabreEleven
03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
slap in the face to other teams that tried to bring players back from the KHL only to have them clear waivers and get claimed by someone else first.

What are you talking about? He was still under contract with Preds the whole time, suspended by the Preds, his contract ends this off season, he belonged to the Preds the whole time. He never had to clear waivers.

Philagape
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Goose > McCormick, so yeah I'd take him back

DMBcrew36
03-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Great on faceoffs but a soft puppy compared to guys like Milan Lucic who are the same size.

SabreEleven
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM

I digress, I see what you are talking about. I guess he was suspended by the Preds 4 years ago so somehow it stopped his contract so now he is back, they unsuspend him and he still had time on his contract that would have ran out 4 years ago if he wasn't suspended. That contract should be over; making him a FA and he should have to go through waivers to get back in the League. That is horse ****.

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Great on faceoffs but a soft puppy compared to guys like Milan Lucic who are the same size.

Same height, not size. Lucic has like 20 or 30 lbs on Gaustad. And just about everybody in the NHL that isn't a goon is "soft" compared to Lucic.

SkateZilla
03-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Radulov left the NHL for the KHL, whether he had a current contract or not, he still should have gone through re-entry waivers.

He signed a Deal to play in the KHL with 1 year left on his entry Contract. which now isnt possible.

other wise teams can sign players and "suspend them" and send them to the KHL or whatever and then bring them back when the KHL Season ends.

SkateZilla
03-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Just a heads up, but posts like these make you look incredibly stupid............

you would know alot about that wouldnt you?

SabreEleven
03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
He should have been suspended, not his contract.

SkateZilla
03-22-2012, 01:45 PM
He should have been suspended, not his contract.

they knew what they were doing, by suspending him and his contract, his contract doesnt progress and expire until he returns.

its signing and stashing players in the KHL, they mature and progress at no cost to the team, and the team holds his rights until he comes back to progress his contract.

they changed the rules to prevent this and also added that players returning from the KHL to sign an NHL deal would have to go through re-entry waivers. (ie Nabokov)

Since he had a contract, he didnt have to go through waivers, but his contract should have been done in 2009, the "suspension" kept the contract valid pending his return, and now other teams are gonna start doing it.

SabreEleven
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
they knew what they were doing, by suspending him and his contract, his contract doesnt progress and expire until he returns.

its signing and stashing players in the KHL, they mature and progress at no cost to the team, and the team holds his rights until he comes back to progress his contract.

they changed the rules to prevent this and also added that players returning from the KHL to sign an NHL deal would have to go through re-entry waivers. (ie Nabokov)

Since he had a contract, he didnt have to go through waivers, but his contract should have been done in 2009, the "suspension" kept the contract valid pending his return, and now other teams are gonna start doing it.

Since Tyler Myers got suspended, his contract should be 3 days longer.

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2012, 03:22 PM
As I am seeing his argument, Radulov left for the KHL with a year left on his contract over 3 years ago. If that were the case, he has somewhat of a valid argument. The Predators didn't like that he left to play elsewhere in essence breaching his original contract, so they must have "suspended" him so that they would retain his rights if he decided to come back. So I guess that is OK. It isn't like he was a free agent.

The Tyler Myers argument is dumb, and you know it. But, if Pegula didn't like the fact that Kotalik went to the KHL, then the Sabres could have "suspended" him too and retained his rights. Not that they would be worth anything.

tampabay25690
03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Goose is gone and I don't see him coming back at all.
Why would the Sabres want him back anyway?
They are better without him.
He would just take up a roster spot for 1 of are good young players.

SkateZilla
03-22-2012, 05:20 PM
why would pegula do somethign to get stuck with kotalik even longer?

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Goose is gone and I don't see him coming back at all.
Why would the Sabres want him back anyway?
They are better without him.
He would just take up a roster spot for 1 of are good young players.

Yeah, because they are so good with Roy and stafford and guys like that

tampabay25690
03-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, because they are so good with Roy and stafford and guys like that

Goose is just a big body that wins face offs, Roy will probably be gone anyway.
So u don't think the sabres are better without him???

SabreEleven
03-22-2012, 08:16 PM

They'll keep Roy because everybody in that organization is in love with him. I'll bet he stays.

tampabay25690
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
They'll keep Roy because everybody in that organization is in love with him. I'll bet he stays.

Possibly

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2012, 09:59 PM

They STILL have the same problems that they had with him. Watch a game and you will see virtually EVERY team we play, the opposing teams will finish their checks, especially on our defense. That is why our defense constantly coughs up the puck, because they are too busy trying to get rid of the puck before they get hit or so they can try to avoid the hit. Then watch the opposing team with the puck in our zone. Barely any defensemen or offensive players will touch the opposing players with the puck. They almost always lay back and let them skate unmolested. Now think about the offensive zone. When the opposing defense has the puck, our guys usually don't do anything but go near them and when the defense gets rid of the puck, the offensive forechecker will peal away to chase the puck and not finish a check. There is practically no physical presence on this team with the exception of Regehr, Kaleta and sometimes Myers. Kaleta is always hurt, McCormick is starting to get hurt a lot and even Regehr can't do it all the time.

And where do you get Roy will be gone anyway? He is playing better again, so Darcy and Lindy will probably think he is back and will love him again.

tampabay25690
03-22-2012, 10:05 PM
They STILL have the same problems that they had with him. Watch a game and you will see virtually EVERY team we play, the opposing teams will finish their checks, especially on our defense. That is why our defense constantly coughs up the puck, because they are too busy trying to get rid of the puck before they get hit or so they can try to avoid the hit. Then watch the opposing team with the puck in our zone. Barely any defensemen or offensive players will touch the opposing players with the puck. They almost always lay back and let them skate unmolested. Now think about the offensive zone. When the opposing defense has the puck, our guys usually don't do anything but go near them and when the defense gets rid of the puck, the offensive forechecker will peal away to chase the puck and not finish a check. There is practically no physical presence on this team with the exception of Regehr, Kaleta and sometimes Myers. Kaleta is always hurt, McCormick is starting to get hurt a lot and even Regehr can't do it all the time.

And where do you get Roy will be gone anyway? He is playing better again, so Darcy and Lindy will probably think he is back and will love him again.

FYI I have never missed a sabres game in probably 5 years if I had to guess...
I know they still have problems. Bottom line they need to score.....
Miller is great and makes the team look better then they are...
Finally I think we have a core group going into next year.
Watch Hodgson the rest of the year he is just getting warmed up.
Yea physical presence is a problem but the size troop and foligno bring is nice for once and they can skate......

chernobylwraiths
03-23-2012, 06:15 AM
FYI I have never missed a sabres game in probably 5 years if I had to guess...
I know they still have problems. Bottom line they need to score.....
Miller is great and makes the team look better then they are...
Finally I think we have a core group going into next year.
Watch Hodgson the rest of the year he is just getting warmed up.
Yea physical presence is a problem but the size troop and foligno bring is nice for once and they can skate......

Never questioned your loyalty, but some people think the physical part is not important. I believe it is vitally important, especially in the playoffs. Finishing checks is necessary in the fact that it both physically drains your opponent and makes them look for checks that might not be coming and forces players to make quicker decisions many times resulting in turnovers.

Yes, they need to actually capitalize on their chances more.

I agree about Miller, I feel much of his earlier problems was much a result of poor play in front of him as well as him not being up to par.

Don't know about the core group, unless that core has Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Myers, Erhoff and McNabb.

I like Hodgson and think he is very gifted with the puck.

Tropp is only 6 ft, but I like his physical play and the book is incomplete on Foligno but I like what I see. But they need more than just 3 or four guys. McNabb will help as well.

YardRat
03-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Winning face-offs is a pretty important skill.

DMBcrew36
03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Same height, not size. Lucic has like 20 or 30 lbs on Gaustad. And just about everybody in the NHL that isn't a goon is "soft" compared to Lucic.

That doesn't mean Gaustad doesn't seem soft for his size.

And as listed on TSN:

Lucic 6'4" 220
Gaustad 6'5" 212

tampabay25690
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Never questioned your loyalty, but some people think the physical part is not important. I believe it is vitally important, especially in the playoffs. Finishing checks is necessary in the fact that it both physically drains your opponent and makes them look for checks that might not be coming and forces players to make quicker decisions many times resulting in turnovers.

Yes, they need to actually capitalize on their chances more.

I agree about Miller, I feel much of his earlier problems was much a result of poor play in front of him as well as him not being up to par.

Don't know about the core group, unless that core has Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Myers, Erhoff and McNabb.

I like Hodgson and think he is very gifted with the puck.

Tropp is only 6 ft, but I like his physical play and the book is incomplete on Foligno but I like what I see. But they need more than just 3 or four guys. McNabb will help as well.

Well what we have is done for this year.
Yea I hope they get some grit this off season but they way I see it, it won't happen. Look for them to go after a big scorer and possibly dumping 1-2 guys that are over paid. I think the grit may just be the young guys that we have in the club now.

billsfootball1027
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
NASHVILLE -- Predators general manager David Poile said that when he arrived at Nashville International Airport on Tuesday night to pick up Alexander Radulov, Radulov gave Poile a hug.

It marked the start of a new chapter in what has been an awkward relationship and a situation that Poile called "very upsetting from a contractual standpoint." On Wednesday, the Predators made it official, lifting the high-scoring winger's suspension after four years of playing in the KHL. He will practice for the first time with the Predators on Wednesday and fly with the team to Pittsburgh, where he and coach Barry Trotz will decide if he will make his debut on Thursday against the Penguins or on Saturday at home against Winnipeg. Radulov passed a physical in the morning before practice.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=623372

they aquire Gaustad at the deadline and now Gaustad is going to not get to play because Radulov is going to take his roster spot. Now I hope that Nashville doesn't win the Cup

Dude Radulov is a stud ..... Its a no brainer to play him over Goose. This guys got elite talent! He went back to the KHL because at the time the preds were horrible. No joke top 10 talent.

SabreEleven
03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Gaustad just got an assist...How did he do that from the press box?

YardRat
03-25-2012, 07:41 PM

He's just that good.

Crisis
03-25-2012, 08:22 PM

Intangibles

SkateZilla
03-25-2012, 10:53 PM
He used the Force.

SabreEleven
03-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Radulov had a valid contract, Nashville has every right to force him to finish that last year if he wants to play in the NHL again, just like NYI did when Nabokov held out. To argue otherwise is asininely stupid and you guys would be the first to scream bloody murder if the reverse happened and the Sabres lost a guy they had under contact........

You are right, if the reversed happend, we would ***** but if a player signs a contract on 2004 for 4 years, the contract runs out in 2008, correct? It is not the NHL or the other teams fault that a players runs off to Russia in 2007. The contract was over in 2008. You shouldn't be able to put a contract on hold for 4 years because the guy goes off runs to another league...I don't know what years Radulov signed his contract, I was using those dates as an example.

SkateZilla
03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
a slap in the face for the KHL, lol

SkateZilla
03-26-2012, 03:41 PM
he signed a deal with teh KHL 3 years into his 4 year contract,

He should have never been allowed to sign the 2nd contract, and the KHL or Radulov should have paid out the last year of his contract.

SabreEleven
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Using that example he signed a contract for 4 years. He only gave them 3..........

but the contract had an end date and that date passed.

Mski
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
but the contract had an end date and that date passed.are they really written explicitly that way though? or are they written to expire on the last day of the xth year of service to the team.

Mski
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
but the contract had an end date and that date passed.

are they really written explicitly that way though? or are they written to expire on the last day of the xth year of service to the team.

Of course contracts aren't written with an expiration date, you complete the term you signed for. You sign for 4 years, the team keeps your rights for 4 seasons of service. It's why the NYI had Nabokov again this year...........

thats what i was getting at :up: