PDA

View Full Version : Op are you OK?

better days
03-21-2012, 11:17 PM
I have not seen a post from Op. All this good news must have sent him into shock.

I predict a new, more optimistic Op next season.

G Wolly
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
He's down in Sabres and Twilight Zones.

He'll be up here in a jiff.

OpIv37
03-21-2012, 11:27 PM
I've been telling you guys for years. I don't ***** just to *****.

I ***** when the team gives me a valid reason.

I like the Mario Williams signing. I mostly like the Johnson re-signing. I like the Anderson signing, although I am concerned that we have a lot of cap tied up in the DL and that may hurt our chances of upgrading other positions.

But, on the whole, there's been more good than bad for the first time that I can remember.

Mr. Miyagi
03-21-2012, 11:33 PM
That took a lot out of Op. Let's all be nice to him while he recovers.

better days
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM

I like the Mario Williams signing. I mostly like the Johnson re-signing. I like the Anderson signing, although I am concerned that we have a lot of cap tied up in the DL and that may hurt our chances of upgrading other positions.

But, on the whole, there's been more good than bad for the first time that I can remember.

What better position to upgrade than the DL?

OpIv37
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
What better position to upgrade than the DL?

pass rush was our biggest problem by far last year. Barring injury, it won't be a problem this year. That's the good.

The bad is that we still need help at #2 WR, T/OL depth, and LB, and could use an upgrade at CB.

Still, we addressed the biggest problem, and the DL upgrade should help the CB's and possibly the LB's.

And realistically, there is only so much that can be done in one off-season. So I have to be happy that we addressed the biggest hole on the team, and addressed it with a vengeance.

We aren't SB contenders just yet, but we should at least be in the Wild Card hunt.

better days
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
pass rush was our biggest problem by far last year. Barring injury, it won't be a problem this year. That's the good.

The bad is that we still need help at #2 WR, T/OL depth, and LB, and could use an upgrade at CB.

Still, we addressed the biggest problem, and the DL upgrade should help the CB's and possibly the LB's.

And realistically, there is only so much that can be done in one off-season. So I have to be happy that we addressed the biggest hole on the team, and addressed it with a vengeance.

We aren't SB contenders just yet, but we should at least be in the Wild Card hunt.

And we haven't even hit the draft yet.

clumping platelets
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
I believe that Dwan Edwards will be gone.........that will free up some cap space. However, that cap space is likely to be used for contract extensions

better days
03-21-2012, 11:53 PM
I believe that Dwan Edwards will be gone.........that will free up some cap space. However, that cap space is likely to be used for contract extensions

Nothing wrong with that IMO, Pay your own players first. Just as Nix has said.

OpIv37
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM
And we haven't even hit the draft yet.

the draft is what it is.

IMO Nix is 1 for 2 on the draft- 2011 was pretty good, 2010 was pretty bad.

Also, other teams get to draft as well. That's a fact that often gets lost around here.

But, you are right in the sense that it's another opportunity to fill holes.

better days
03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
the draft is what it is.

IMO Nix is 1 for 2 on the draft- 2011 was pretty good, 2010 was pretty bad.

Also, other teams get to draft as well. That's a fact that often gets lost around here.

But, you are right in the sense that it's another opportunity to fill holes.

Nix did not have a chance to revamp the scouting dept before the 2010 draft. Last year was its infancy, this year, it is up & RUNNING.

thenry20
03-22-2012, 12:40 AM

For the most part, I agree with your assessment. However, I believe that Nelson is a great #2 and I think he will surprise this year.

methos4ever
03-22-2012, 03:42 AM
OT, WR and CB are going to be priorities, LB depth too, but not as much as people would like. As you can see, a Wannstedt defense has the resources (draft/recruiting) in the line, and then the rest of the defense can be filled with smart, active guys playing off that line. Now that they've worked on the d this much I figure Chan will get to play with at least 5-6 of this year's picks...

Don't Panic
03-22-2012, 05:12 AM

The point being that your passion for complaint far exceeds your passion for praise.

Night Train
03-22-2012, 05:31 AM
I am concerned that we have a lot of cap tied up in the DL and that may hurt our chances of upgrading other positions.

That was my initial reaction also, until I realized parting ways with Dwan Edwards & Spencer Johnson frees up 8 Mil.

Seems logical and there is still depth at DE ( Carrington ) and plenty of DT's inside.

YardRat
03-22-2012, 05:35 AM
That was my initial reaction also, until I realized parting ways with Dwan Edwards & Spencer Johnson frees up 8 Mil.

Seems logical and there is still depth at DE ( Carrington ) and plenty of DT's inside.

I can see one of them going, but not both.

Night Train
03-22-2012, 05:45 AM

I guess that's me, looking at Littman and seeing him grab his meds this past week while shelling out the scratch for Williams & Anderson. I can see him observing his ledger and needing to make some subtractions from the other side.

Edwards, Johnson and Kelsay look obvious but who knows what they will do. Draft weekend could move Kelsay but I'm just guessing.

That spending must have rattled Wilson/ Littman a bit and the Bills have plenty of cheap beef in the middle with Heard, Troup and more. Carrington costs little at DE and has size/ability.

Former starters in the 3.5-5.5 Mil range as backups ? They shouldn't get too comfortable.

Skooby
03-22-2012, 06:24 AM

The world is going to end this year, this confirms it.

justasportsfan
03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
never underestimate OP. He's regrouping.

OpIv37
03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
The point being that your passion for complaint far exceeds your passion for praise.

We haven't won any games yet. While I am pretty satisfied with the off-season so far, it's all about winning. I think it will translate to wins, but I'm holding back praise until I see if it actually does.

DraftBoy
03-22-2012, 07:42 AM

There is no reason to keep either. We have depth at DT with Troup and Heard and Edwards is an atrocious fit in a 43.

EDS
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
The Eagles won the off-season last-year. Didn't help them during the season though. Bills are moving in the right direction as evidenced by the fact that they were able to identify and address their greatest weakness. Now they need to translate that to winning football games. Winning is and always will be the bottom line.

Skooby
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
The Eagles won the off-season last-year. Didn't help them during the season though. Bills are moving in the right direction as evidenced by the fact that they were able to identify and address their greatest weakness. Now they need to translate that to winning football games. Winning is and always will be the bottom line.

We shouldn't be any worse on defense, health willing.

justasportsfan
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Nevermind OP what happened to "bumbling Buddy Nix"?

BertSquirtgum
03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
spencer johnson and dwan edwards. Johnson makes 3.5 million a year and edwards makes 3.8 million a year. That is way too much money for Johnson. He is terrible. I hope they keep Edwards though.

OpIv37
03-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Nevermind OP what happened to "bumbling Buddy Nix"?

Making 3 good moves doesn't mean he's not "bumbling." he has a lot to atone for. But it is a good sign.

And BTW, it was BF1 who called him "bumbling Buddy."

better days
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Making 3 good moves doesn't mean he's not "bumbling." he has a lot to atone for. But it is a good sign.

He does not have to atone for anything that happened before he got here. I think anyone that knows football would have to agree he has made far more good moves than bad since getting the GM job & is the best GM Buffalo has had since Polian.

justasportsfan
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM

He has nothing to atone for yet. He said 3 years and if we don't make playoffs this year then thats when he should be called out. I guess you should stop blaming him for the past 10 years .

Didn't say it was you thats why I said nevermind you.

better days
03-22-2012, 08:14 PM
We haven't won any games yet. While I am pretty satisfied with the off-season so far, it's all about winning. I think it will translate to wins, but I'm holding back praise until I see if it actually does.

Well NOTHING in the NFL is guaranteed. What more would you have wanted Nix to do this offseason sign Peyton Manning?

YardRat
03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
There is no reason to keep either. We have depth at DT with Troup and Heard and Edwards is an atrocious fit in a 43.

Johnson won't play inside, so that's bad example. I agree Edwards isn't a necessarily a good fit for 43.

They are going to keep a larger number of linemen if they plan on sending guys in waves, and (especially if Merriman gets injured again) Johnson will have a legit shot at securing a roster spot.

He's got a helluva lot better chance of sticking as an end than either Moats or Batten...DE in the NFL is quite a bit different than college.

OpIv37
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Well NOTHING in the NFL is guaranteed. What more would you have wanted Nix to do this offseason sign Peyton Manning?

Umm, I'm not complaining about this off-season, hence this thread.

It hasn't been perfect and there are still holes in the team, but it's far better than I could have hoped for, so I'm OK with it.

I know nothing is guaranteed, but that's why GMs get the big bucks. They are supposed to know the right moves. I like the moves- I'm not complaining about them. But I want to see them translate to wins before I start doling out praises. It's about the wins and it always has been.

Bert102176
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Johnson won't play inside, so that's bad example. I agree Edwards isn't a necessarily a good fit for 43.

They are going to keep a larger number of linemen if they plan on sending guys in waves, and (especially if Merriman gets injured again) Johnson will have a legit shot at securing a roster spot.

He's got a helluva lot better chance of sticking as an end than either Moats or Batten...DE in the NFL is quite a bit different than college.

it should be when Merriman gets hurt not if

OpIv37
03-22-2012, 10:52 PM
it should be when Merriman gets hurt not if

I said this on FB yesterday:

I've never been a fan of Kelsay, but at this point, his experience in the 4-3 and durability make him more valuable than Merriman.

And Kelsay missed most of 2011, so saying that is durability is better than Merriman's speaks volumes.

Merriman would be a beast if he stayed healthy, but he just can't do it without the roids.

ThunderGun
03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
I said this on FB yesterday:

I've never been a fan of Kelsay, but at this point, his experience in the 4-3 and durability make him more valuable than Merriman.

And Kelsay missed most of 2011, so saying that is durability is better than Merriman's speaks volumes.

Merriman would be a beast if he stayed healthy, but he just can't do it without the roids.

So let's get the man some more roids.

OpIv37
03-22-2012, 11:34 PM
So let's get the man some more roids.
lmao but if he gets caught again it's a year suspension.

He's a victim of the NFL's "you're only guilty if you get caught, and we won't try to catch you" policy. It's a pretty good policy, as it resurrected MLB after the '94 strike.

methos4ever
03-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Spencer Johnson was a 3/1 technique reserve in Minnesota, so he would have no problem going back to it.

Spiderweb
03-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Duan Edwards from this fan's perspective has been almost totally incognito since coming to the Bills. Seemingly fails too often in setting the edge, has ZERO pass rush capabilities, and just doesn't make enough plays, period. Thanks Duan, nice knowing ya, won't miss ya....