PDA

View Full Version : Merriman OLB vs DE

Cali512
03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Im thinkin were Merriman fits now that we have Anderson. I believe this could be the most incredible pass down D imaginable! Now on rushing downs Kelsay most likely will be on the opposite of Williams. On passing downs, Anderson and Merriman come in. Anderson will take Kelsays spot, and now Merriman is free to roam were ever he likes as a blitzer, whether be over near Williams or Anderson, or inside if he likes. Barnett or Sheppard will stay (depending on coverage skills), and Mckelvin comes in vs the 4th. Rogers will most likely come in for Wilson. Byrd plays zone. Barnett mans the RB if one is there, or blitzes.

Lets see

4 wide out

50 56
24 26 90 99 95 CA 28 23
WR WR T LG C RG T WR WR
QB RB

edit- for some reason it screws it up when i post it, but its supposed to show where everyone would be vs a O and how great it looks

PTI
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I sure hope the pass rush is good, going to have to be good when your QB leads the league in INTs.

Cali512
03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I sure hope the pass rush is good, going to have to be good when your QB leads the league in INTs.

About 4 of those 22-23 were off tips

TerrellOwensSharpie8
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
About 4 of those 22-23 were off tips

more like 8

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-23-2012, 05:31 AM
I think we should just be hoping this guy can make it to being on the field and not wondering where he plays. He is a LB either way.

YardRat
03-23-2012, 05:34 AM
and now Merriman is free to roam were ever he likes as a blitzer, whether be over near Williams or Anderson, or inside if he likes.

Ummm.....No.

Mahdi
03-23-2012, 06:12 AM
I think we should just be hoping this guy can make it to being on the field and not wondering where he plays. He is a LB either way.
He's a DE. He is listed on the BB.com roster as a DE. And he also discussed the matter and referred to himself as a DE with his hand in the ground.

The guy isn't 6'2 230. He's 6'4 270.

Cali512
03-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Ummm.....No.

Why not?

BidsJr
03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Why not?

He is a 4-3 DEFENSIVE END.

Oaf
03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Mario Williams could cause hell at DT on 3rd downs.

Anderson-M Williams-K Williams-Kelsay/Merriman/Moats. #approve

billsfootball1027
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Im thinkin were Merriman fits now that we have Anderson. I believe this could be the most incredible pass down D imaginable! Now on rushing downs Kelsay most likely will be on the opposite of Williams. On passing downs, Anderson and Merriman come in. Anderson will take Kelsays spot, and now Merriman is free to roam were ever he likes as a blitzer, whether be over near Williams or Anderson, or inside if he likes. Barnett or Sheppard will stay (depending on coverage skills), and Mckelvin comes in vs the 4th. Rogers will most likely come in for Wilson. Byrd plays zone. Barnett mans the RB if one is there, or blitzes.

Lets see

4 wide out

50 56
24 26 90 99 95 CA 28 23
WR WR T LG C RG T WR WR
QB RB

edit- for some reason it screws it up when i post it, but its supposed to show where everyone would be vs a O and how great it looks

Merriman will be an OLB on the right or left side. He lacks size to be a 4-3 DE.

Mahdi
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Merriman will be an OLB on the right or left side. He lacks size to be a 4-3 DE.
I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of the posts....

Merriman is 6'4 270. How is he lacking size? He's bigger than Mark Anderson.

Not sure why we keep having this discussion about Merriman. He's a DE pure and simple. His skill set is setting the edge and pass rushing. Why would he do anything other than exactly that?

Cali512
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of the posts....

Merriman is 6'4 270. How is he lacking size? He's bigger than Mark Anderson.

Not sure why we keep having this discussion about Merriman. He's a DE pure and simple. His skill set is setting the edge and pass rushing. Why would he do anything other than exactly that?

No no noo. You totally miss interepreted what i meant lol. Ik hes a DE, and on passrushing downs we have Sheppard vs Barnett play the middle, like on a dime package, but Merriman also comes in and he can choose what side he wants, if he wants to go in 3 point stance or LB. He can also if he wants stand in between our DTs and blitz right up the middle. So we have our 4 DL, 1 pure LB, 1 safety, Merriman as rushing OLB/DE, and 4 CBs. I think our pass D will be difficult to stop. With 4 CBs out there, Byrd who is a good coverage safety, and then you have Mario, Mark, Marcell, and Kyle on the D-line, along with Merriman lurking and finding a place to blitz from. They would be force to let the RB block, bring a TE in, or use a TE to block and add a WR. No matter what there covered,

Cali512
03-23-2012, 11:16 AM

No Merriman will be a DE, but i think there will be formations that he has his hand off, but he will always be blitzing so it doesnt matter

Whens the last time you saw a 270 lb LB on our team? We had a 225 lb one that we refused to put at linebacker, why would this one be different lol

Cali512
03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
He is a 4-3 DEFENSIVE END.

Whether his hands on the ground or not, i believe he will always blitz so it doesnt matter.

Thief
03-23-2012, 11:33 AM
270 is not unheard of for a LB, especially on the strong side. Yeah he is a DE, but in obvious passing downs if we are going to rush a LB, there would be no better option than a healthy Merriman. I think if anyone should drop in coverage or cover a TE (of the LBs) it should be Sheppard.

Mahdi
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
No no noo. You totally miss interepreted what i meant lol. Ik hes a DE, and on passrushing downs we have Sheppard vs Barnett play the middle, like on a dime package, but Merriman also comes in and he can choose what side he wants, if he wants to go in 3 point stance or LB. He can also if he wants stand in between our DTs and blitz right up the middle. So we have our 4 DL, 1 pure LB, 1 safety, Merriman as rushing OLB/DE, and 4 CBs. I think our pass D will be difficult to stop. With 4 CBs out there, Byrd who is a good coverage safety, and then you have Mario, Mark, Marcell, and Kyle on the D-line, along with Merriman lurking and finding a place to blitz from. They would be force to let the RB block, bring a TE in, or use a TE to block and add a WR. No matter what there covered,
Ok then so you're talking about using him as a situational rusher. Which makes sense. That is if you're sending a 5th man though.

Not sure that Wanny is big on blitzing. He is typically a rush with 4 type DC.

Thief
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Lets see

4 wide out

50 56
24 26 90 99 95 CA 28 23
WR WR T LG C RG T WR WR
QB RB

edit- for some reason it screws it up when i post it, but its supposed to show where everyone would be vs a O and how great it looksThe LBs can be Shep and Scott (who dropped the box in the nickle pac). SHep can Man many RBs and Scott does a really good job on TEs.