PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kelsay's Contract?

jpdex12
03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
According to billsdaily.com he signed a 4 yr $14mm contract in 2011. Apparently he resigned since then if he's still playing with us? with Anderson signed someone's gotta go...

NOT THE DUDE...
03-25-2012, 08:48 PM
edwards, mcgee, mckelvin, spencer johnson are gone ....

BuffaloBlitz83
03-25-2012, 08:51 PM

McKelvin won't be gone.

more cowbell
03-25-2012, 08:53 PM
According to billsdaily.com he signed a 4 yr $14mm contract in 2011. Apparently he resigned since then if he's still playing with us? with Anderson signed someone's gotta go...

That makes sense since he signed the deal in 2011 and its 2012...?

NOT THE DUDE...
03-25-2012, 08:55 PM
McKelvin won't be gone.

3rd string? and nix said he wants 2 new corners...

williams
rogers
florence

that leaves mcgee and loser to be cut...

YardRat
03-25-2012, 08:56 PM

I don't see that anywhere on their front office pages.

jpdex12
03-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Just found in buffalorumblings.com archives...he's signed through 2014. Back loaded contract.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Just found in buffalorumblings.com archives...he's signed through 2014. Back loaded contract.

ugh

ServoBillieves
03-25-2012, 09:17 PM
I will absolutely eat crow after saying this but when will people realize he isnt going anywhere? He did good last year, he's a veteran... These are like the old Josh Reed posts.

BertSquirtgum
03-25-2012, 09:23 PM

you're so wrong

BertSquirtgum
03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I will absolutely eat crow after saying this but when will people realize he isnt going anywhere? He did good last year, he's a veteran... These are like the old Josh Reed posts.

I hope they don't get rid of him. He is very good against the run.

DasBills
03-25-2012, 09:32 PM
I hope they don't get rid of him. He is very good against the run.And you need old veterans like him on the team, it's not like he's killing the cap or anything.

tampabay25690
03-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Kelsey will be on the Bills all year......

ThunderGun
03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
3rd string? and nix said he wants 2 new corners...

williams
rogers
florence

that leaves mcgee and loser to be cut...

Well,you know one of those 2 new Cbs will come in the 6th or 7th round. They'll go on the practice squad. They're not going to take a roster spot from Mcgee or McFumblin. At least not right away.

Michael82
03-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Isnt he a team captain too? The players like him in the locker room. I cant see him leaving.

ZAZusmc03
03-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Isn't everyone always *****ing about not having depth? So we signed Mario and Anderson, quick let's dump everyone else so we have NO DEPTH.

Extremebillsfan247
03-26-2012, 06:36 AM
I think Kelsay's days as a Bill are numbered. It's not that I don't like him. I do, it's rare to have a player that spends his entire career with 1 football team. That in itself is commendable in my opinion. But, he is one of the oldest players on the team at 32. He will be 33 in October. Only McIntyre, Moorman, and Lindell are older. Most defensive linemen start their decline in performance by the age of 30 and that is being generous.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-26-2012, 07:07 AM
I agree with Extreme. Kelsay's position is on shaky ground after this season.

1) Most D-Line player sticking around well into 30s must have some skills special. Unfortunately that's not Kelsay. He's an overall balanced player, not particularly stout against run, not super quick or strong for pass rushing skills. But he has great work ethics, a good head, and enough physical ability to be steady on the field.

2) It is scary to think that a couple of years ago, he was signed into an extension because he was a top defensive player the Bills had - not that his skills have eroded badly since then. The talent level of Bills defense has been rising rapidly, mostly in draft, and now with FAs. If guys like Carrington takes another step forward this year, then Kelsay will slide further down the depth chart. And tnat lead to ...

3) The contract. It is back loaded and it will be high for someone listed as 4th or further down the chart. At that point, any team would opt to draft a guy with more potential yet a cheap contract to fill the position.

If we peek into Wannstedt's past defenses in NFL, you can see he usually carries 9 D-Linemen as that is his most improtant piece of the defense. Breaking it down further, 5 tackles and 4 ends are the way he likes to go. I see Marcell, Kyle as starters and Troup, Heard, and Edwards/Spencer as rotation guys at tackle. Mario/Anderson starts at ends (from what Gailey's talk, they see Anderson starting), Kelsay, Carrington, Merriman will fight out for the backup spots.

Merriman is in a very sticky place. When healthy, he could be starting. But no one is realistically expecting him to be healthy. Maybe they can hide him at OLB position. I do see a problem for him if he's healthy and not starting.

ServoBillieves
03-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Both ghz and Ex are right, and thank you for the emphasis on NEXT season. When the defensive veteran torch has been passed I'm pretty sure Kelsay will ride off in to the sunset.

He'll probly sign with another team, but I'm probably one of the few that hopes 90 has the opportunity to retire as a Bill.

jpdex12
03-26-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm not against Kelsay either but if you list all of the defensive linemen we currently have or should start the season with not including anyone we might draft as well, we have too many defensive linemen and based on the usual nine DL's we typically carry we will see some decent names cut. I just thought if Kelsay wasn't looking like he would be a significant factor and see considerable playing time, you know he will be cut since he counts against the cap a lot more than some of the other younger guys that could challenge him for time. We didn't pay Anderson $28mm just to be a situational player and split time with another DE who we are paying $5mm per year to. Since Kelsay's contract is back loaded I could see it happening. He has been an average player but a great team player.

Mahdi
03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Kelsay's spot on the team will depend on a couple of factors. First of all with Kelsay they know exactly what they have so its not in his hands really whether he stays or not, it will depend on;

1) What the Bills do in the draft, will they draft a DE high? If they do then he will be one step closer to getting cut.

2) The second thing will be how that rookie performs in camp. If he shows signs he could catch on quickly Kelsay's spot will be threatened further.

3) How Merriman does in camp will be another factor. If he shows he is healthy and ready to go that will be yet another vet DE we will have added to our rotation compared to last year making Kelsay's experience less needed.

4) How the young draft picks over the last 2 years look in our new defense. Guys like Batten, Moats (if he goes to DE), Dotson, Carrington. Carrington can play a huge role in getting Kelsay cut. If he shows that he is the power DE that he was coming out of the draft I'd say Kelsay is done because that would give us;

Merriman
Mario
Anderson
Carrington
1 of Johnson, Batten, Edwards, Dotson

Kelsay is in some trouble...

Cali512
03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
He did dominate Miami the one game