PDA

View Full Version : Nix talks about OT at Owner Meetings

Ed
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

There are a couple blog posts related to Bell and drafting OT's with some interesting comments from Nix. It sounds like OT will be a priority and they will probably draft two. He thinks there are 2 or 3 OT's that could start from day 1.

It doesn't really sound like Bell is coming back.

JCBills
03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
He's said before they want to look at tackle.

Now, I haven't been one of the many to kick and scream for a 1st round OT every year, because some seem to think you need one to win games. You don't, but without Bell not here and questions on Hairston, OT is a need.

YardRat
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
LT and center are the two most critical positions on the offensive side of the ball.

FlyingDutchman
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
LT and center are the two most critical positions on the offensive side of the ball.

Exactly, and we don't have a tackle right now. I get why people like Floyd so much, and I do as well, but its just obvious imo that we will draft a tackle in the first round

kingJofNYC
03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
But what about Sam Young, lol.

Ed
03-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Exactly, and we don't have a tackle right now. I get why people like Floyd so much, and I do as well, but its just obvious imo that we will draft a tackle in the first round
I don't think it's that obvious. Nix said that he thinks there are 2-3 OT's that could come in and start from day 1. That tells me that he has some reservations about Reiff or Martin. And if he does then it's unlikely he thinks they're worth a top 10 pick. He also said he likes some of the 2nd and 3rd round prospects and he's comfortable with Hairston being a starter. If Nix has Floyd or someone else that's available rated higher than Reiff or Martin, I think they pass on OT in the first round and address it in the 2nd or 3rd with someone who can come in and compete with Hairston, and then add another OT prospect later in the draft for depth.

Oaf
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Nix said that he thinks there are 2-3 OT's that could come in and start from day 1. That tells me that he has some reservations about Reiff or Martin.

I'm not sure I understand this line of reasoning.

Also, there's a chance CB misquoted Nix.

Nix believes there are “two or three” offensive tackles in the draft class that can start on day one. He obviously would not divulge the names of those prospects.

“We’ve got some guys that would hopefully be second or third round guys that we think in one year can be a starter for you,” said Nix. ’It’s not bad for tackles.”

Maybe he said it elsewhere, but just something of note.

mjt328
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Reading between the lines, I think this is definitely proof that Nix is more than seriously considering an OT at #10.

> First, he said that there are 2-3 guys in the draft that could start from DAY ONE.

> Second, he said that there are "some" guys in the second and third round that could be a starter in a a YEAR OR TWO.

Considering that we currently don't have a legitimate starting left tackle for the 2012 season (Demetrius Bell remains unsigned and Nix didn't seem confident that Chris Hairston was ready to start in that spot) - I highly doubt he would wait for the second day of the draft and grab another player that isn't ready to start at LT.

Riley Reiff or Jonathan Martin.
It's gotta be one of those two.

The Jokeman
03-26-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't think it's that obvious. Nix said that he thinks there are 2-3 OT's that could come in and start from day 1. That tells me that he has some reservations about Reiff or Martin. And if he does then it's unlikely he thinks they're worth a top 10 pick. He also said he likes some of the 2nd and 3rd round prospects and he's comfortable with Hairston being a starter. If Nix has Floyd or someone else that's available rated higher than Reiff or Martin, I think they pass on OT in the first round and address it in the 2nd or 3rd with someone who can come in and compete with Hairston, and then add another OT prospect later in the draft for depth.
Hairston starting at LT for a full 16 games scares me. I don't mind grooming him to be a spot starter swing tackle ala Marcus Price but anything more is asking too much.

FlyingDutchman
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM

I get what you're saying and you very well could be right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But I just think people on here are undervaluing LT for the more sexy pick. Hypothetically, if we just plain didn't have a starting QB, do you think we would try to get one in the first or just wait for a later round for just a decent guy? Why risk losing out on one of those 2-3 guys who could come in and start right away, just bc some draft "gurus" think he should go later. Taking a guy in the 2-3 round at tackle, we better hope that pick works out or we are left with absolutely nothing. Thats too crucial of a position to risk being left with nothing. I mean, I know thats the same risk in the first round, but I would much rather roll the dice with more of the elite talent at the position. I think Hairston will end up being RT

The Jokeman
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I get what you're saying and you very well could be right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But I just think people on here are undervaluing LT for the more sexy pick. Hypothetically, if we just plain didn't have a starting QB, do you think we would try to get one in the first or just wait for a later round for a decent guy? Why risk losing out on one of those 2-3 guys who could come in and start right away, just bc some draft gurus think he should go later. Taking a guy in the 2-3 round at tackle, we better hope that pick works out or we are left with absolutely nothing. I mean, I know thats the same risk in the first round, but I would much rather roll the dice with more of the elite talent at the position. I think Hairston will end up being RT
Agreed if you can get a LT that can start from day 1 there's no if and ands or about it you take him. As WRs to me are more a product of oppurtunity and talent and the truth is most WRs don't produce as rookies. So give me a Reiff or Martin in Round 1 and Randle or Jeffery in Round 2.

Ed
03-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand this line of reasoning.

Also, there's a chance CB misquoted Nix.

Maybe he said it elsewhere, but just something of note.
I guess what I mean is that when he says there's 2-3 guys that could start from day 1, it sounds like he's not totally convinced about the 3rd guy, whoever that may be. It just doesn't sound definitive, which leads me to believe that if the top 2 OT's are gone by #10 then that 3rd OT may not be the BPA on the Bills board. I mean who knows what they're actually thinking, I'm just not convinced that Nix thinks they have to take an OT in the first round, especially if there's another prospect he likes better.

In 2009 when Nix said he was comfortable with Bell being the starter at LT no one really believed him and said he was full of it. A lot of fans were convinced that OT Bulaga had to be the pick. But Nix went with the guy he liked the best. Nix always seems to be pretty honest with his assessments and if he says he's not worried about Hairston being the starter at LT then I tend to believe him. I don't have any doubts that we're going to draft a couple OT's, but if OT isn't the BPA at #10, I don't think it's the pick.

I personally think the Bills are going to work hard to try and trade down, and if they do pull that off then who knows.

The Jokeman
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I guess what I mean is that when he says there's 2-3 guys that could start from day 1, it sounds like he's not totally convinced about the 3rd guy, whoever that may be. It just doesn't sound definitive, which leads me to believe that if the top 2 OT's are gone by #10 then that 3rd OT may not be the BPA on the Bills board. I mean who knows what they're actually thinking, I'm just not convinced that Nix thinks they have to take an OT in the first round, especially if there's another prospect he likes better.

In 2009 when Nix said he was comfortable with Bell being the starter at LT no one really believed him and said he was full of it. A lot of fans were convinced that OT Bulaga had to be the pick. But Nix went with the guy he liked the best. Nix always seems to be pretty honest with his assessments and if he says he's not worried about Hairston being the starter at LT then I tend to believe him. I don't have any doubts that we're going to draft a couple OT's, but if OT isn't the BPA at #10, I don't think it's the pick.

I personally think the Bills are going to work hard to try and trade down, and if they do pull that off then who knows.
He also mentioned that this year that prior drafts/free agency were an attempt to get guys and this offseason he's finally focused on specific holes. Which can mean he doesn't see Bell fitting the hole at LT as he's not agressively looking to re-sign him. The question of course everyone has, does he think Hairston is? Count me as one who says he doesn't so that's why we might take one of those two or three guys.

I think there's a slim chance Reiff will be there but a good chance Martin will be. Now it's just a matter of where we grade these two guys. If Buddy truly believes either could start from day 1 then they have to be our pick. If however we feel Hairston can start then yeah you go elsewhere and find a depth guy later in the draft. It's ironic because most years I harp on drafting a LT prospect in the 1st Round and most fans say yeah but they don't rank that high in mock drafts whereas this year we finally have a pick as high as the talent warrants.

As most rank Reiff and/or Martin talent wise the top 15 of the draft and means we might finally find a guy to replace Wil Wolford (or even John Fina) after all these years.

JCBills
03-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Well, did he ever say anything about not being worried if Hairston is the starter?

I thought I read the exact opposite somewhere, not sure on that though. Hairston was ok as a rookie. PFF actually has him graded higher than a lot of recognizable names. Number of snaps has to be taken into account though, as sample size is always important. Snap totals are the first column.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/pffot.jpg/

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5985/pffot.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/pffot.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Oaf
03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
My take is that Nix won't take an OT at 10 with flaws to his game-- that's what subsequent rounds are for.

Floyd may not be Calvin Johnson, and there are plenty of good WRs in this draft, but there's not much not to like about Floyd's game and measurables. JMO

gonzo1105
03-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Im thinking he wants an OT in the first round but not at 10 which is why you hear the rumblings of a trade down. If he can't trade down im starting to think we may go somewhere were not expecting. I mean think about it, a lot of people think martin,adams,kirkpatrick,floyd etc are all reaches at pick 10. If we could trade down to the late teens these guys all become value picks. If we can't don't be surprised if you see a Decastro, Fletcher Cox etc where the value matches the pick

ServoBillieves
03-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Our longest passes take 3 second to throw. It's nice to conceal the pocket, hence why we have a great inside, but Pears does his job, and if Hairston can fill in and realize he needs to seal off one of the edges as his only job, I think he can do it.

You send the blitz, Wood will call it out before cadence and even if it's a fake blitz he knows the weak sides of the ball. When it comes to the intelligence of this line I only see our weakness as injuries.

If we had Bell - Levitre - Wood - Urbik - Pears as our 5 healthy down lineman? I'd probly **** a brick. Heck, you could put a ? in Bells place and I STILL have faith that Fitzy can dink and dunk for 4 or 5 yards at a time. In case you all forgot... it takes 10 yards to get a first down.

When they fear the pass? Who do we turn to? Action Jackson and CJ.

jimbohastle51
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
for those of you that think we are drafting tackle at 10, in my opinion your wrong. I won't use the fact that Nix has ALWAYS shot us straight about picks and free agency and today basically said they know they can get a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd round. and i won't use the fact that in all the years with SD and his 2 with us as GM he has not drafted a tackle or rated a tackle as a top 10 pick because he doesn't place as high a priority on them in the top round of the draft. I will use the fact that if you really do pay attention to the prospects coming out then you know after khalil there is no tackle talent worth a top 10 pick. Rieff (and i know some of you are in love with him) is NOT a left tackle right now. the kid is a hard worker and can be coached into it at the NFL level but he has some short comings to work around. Martin is a smart tackle and has good technique but he is more of a 15-25 pick. the Bills will take michael floyd if he is there at 10 (and honestly i do not doubt a team would trading up to 8 or 9 to get him). If he is not there they will trade back and their will be takers because there a secondary hungry teams that will trade up for corners. If the bills trade back you know its for a tackle. If they trade back they will try to trade back 5 or so picks and take whichever tackle of the 2 or 3 they have rated high are there. I think some of you are discounting not only has Nix stated they really like hairston but he was a ROOKIE last year, and when he started AS A ROOKIE he played well enough to show that a full NFL off season could really make him take a leap. They are not looking for a tackle to start over him, they are looking for one to compete with him. and even though Bell is visiting GB, he is not out of the realm of coming back. Nix did not have to state today that they like him, or once again confirm that they made him an offer. GB has 3 tackles right now with starting experience. Bell with his injury history does not make chad clifton a cap casualty. he would have to go there and compete with clifton, AND newsome for playing time. remember in buffalo he has to just compete with the player he already has beat out once. also remember people Nix is the guy who drafted spiller when we had 2 feature backs because he knows how hard it is to sign play makers in free agency. he could have went after V-jax. he chose Mario because it was a bigger need and also because we are in a PRIME position to get 1 of 2 premier playmakers at 10 (for a rookie wage scale bargain thanks to the new cba). you are welcome to criticize my opinion this is a message board but take a second to think about what i just typed. if you feel its non sense then by all means tear it up BUT maybe, just maybe there writing between the lines to what Nix is saying.

Goobylal
03-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Hairston was a rookie who had no OTA's, minicamps, got the playbook the first day of camp, missed about half of training camp and half of pre-season games with an injury, and didn't get starter's reps until Bell got injured, yet in 7 starts he allowed just 2 sacks, and both to excellent pass rushers (Umenyiora and Anderson). People compared his body to McNeill and his agility numbers were pretty good. I think he'll be fine at LT, but adding some competition/depth never hurts.

X-Era
03-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Michael Floyd is the dark horse pick. I think that's a real possibility.

X-Era
03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Hairston was a rookie who had no OTA's, minicamps, got the playbook the first day of camp, missed about half of training camp and half of pre-season games with an injury, and didn't get starter's reps until Bell got injured, yet in 7 starts he allowed just 2 sacks, and both to excellent pass rushers (Umenyiora and Anderson). People compared his body to McNeill and his agility numbers were pretty good. I think he'll be fine at LT, but adding some competition/depth never hurts.He's underrated because he wasn't taken in round 1. He did very well as a rookie I agree.

I think he could become a very solid LT.

ublinkwescore
03-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I say the argument is reduced to this - a good LT should raise the average time Fitz has per snap before he absolutely has to get rid of the ball, thus giving our receivers more time to get open. A balanced LT who can run block effectively will allow our running game to be more deadly - a good LT will do more for our Offense than any wide reciever or Tight End could because it has an influence over the rest of the offense. wide recievers are a dime a dozen, and we can find one who can be effective in later rounds much like we did with Stevie. wasn't Andre Reed like a 3rd or 4th round pick too? TO was like a 3rd round pick too wasn't he?

Getting that LT to take his lumps in TC and OTAs against our DL will only help that LT to grow into his prime at a much faster rate. I think we should take two LTs if we can get them at value for where we pick at. Usually Blue Chip LTs can play any position on the line too can't they? after LT, we look at OLB and CB. but we need at least one LT. end of subject.

JCBills
03-27-2012, 02:29 AM
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Hairston was a rookie who had no OTA's, minicamps, got the playbook the first day of camp, missed about half of training camp and half of pre-season games with an injury, and didn't get starter's reps until Bell got injured, yet in 7 starts he allowed just 2 sacks, and both to excellent pass rushers (Umenyiora and Anderson). People compared his body to McNeill and his agility numbers were pretty good. I think he'll be fine at LT, but adding some competition/depth never hurts.

PFF Has him with 4 sacks allowed in 11 games at LT. He played 13 but only saw substantial action in 11 with 7 starts. He also only allowed 9 QB hurries which is VERY good. That was in 472 snaps played.

Ed
03-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Well, did he ever say anything about not being worried if Hairston is the starter?

I thought I read the exact opposite somewhere, not sure on that though. Hairston was ok as a rookie. PFF actually has him graded higher than a lot of recognizable names. Number of snaps has to be taken into account though, as sample size is always important. Snap totals are the first column.
In his interview yesterday on XM Sirius radio Nix said he's not concerned about Hairston. The exact quote from Chris Brown's blog is:

“Chris Hairston did a good job for us and we think he can handle it,” said Nix. ”We’re not concerned about it.”

It's not exactly the strongest endorsement, but I think Hairston looked a lot better as a rookie than Bell did, and Nix didn't have a problem sticking with Bell early in his career.

TigerJ
03-28-2012, 08:32 AM
I think Floyd is a apossibility at #10. I don't think Nix will wait too long to get himself a tackle. Regarding Hairston, I think it is a given that he will get better. The thing is we can't be sure how much better he'll get. He was not in great shape coming out of college, and the Bills offseason conditioning program will do wonders for him. Hairston is smart and has good hand use, but doesn't have the quickest feet for a left tackle. The question really is how much quicker can he make his feet? Will he always struggle with speed rushers in the NFL. I'm not sure if we can answer that question. I'm not sure the Bills can.