PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson to get extension before camp

Ed
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/27/fred-update/

For those that are worried about Fred's future, Nix confirmed again yesterday that they plan to extend Fred Jackson before training camp.

“Fred and I have visited a couple of times,” said Nix. ”Fred has been vocal some about wanting a new deal and that kind of thing so finally I called him in and we talked twice. I told him we’re going to offer you an extension. We had priorities with guys that were unrestricted that we didn’t want to lose. I told him when we get through it we’ll at least do it before training camp. That way there’s no chance of him getting hurt. He’ll be healthy and he’ll have an extension before he goes to camp. We’ll be as straight as we can with him.”

Jaybird
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
smart move, keep him happy. I don't care about his age, he still has a few good years left in him

ThunderGun
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
As it should be. Worry about Free Agency and the draft before you worry about extending guys who are still under contract.

zone
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Man this front office is a breath of fresh air after the smog we had been breathing in for so long.

No suit* speak, they actually give information to the fans and do what they say they are going to do. No secrets, no guessing, no BS.

Love it.

Yasgur's Farm
03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Yet... It will be up to the Bills to decide what to offer... And Jackson to decide if it's up to his expectation. Neither of the 2 parties can guarantee anything.

Oaf
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Yet... It will be up to the Bills to decide what to offer... And Jackson to decide if it's up to his expectation. Neither of the 2 parties can guarantee anything.
Good point. Nix stated this earlier too and I'm excited to see what happens.

Ed
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I think there's enough mutual respect there for both sides to be fair and reasonable.

better days
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Old news.

wozrob11
03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
so we are gonna give a 31 year old RB coiming off a broken leg a extention i know he had a good year but come on RB are a dime a dozen now and age catches up to them quick i think its a bad move but for the right price i guess it would be fine

Raptor
03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I could care less about the Fred extension

Levitre, Byrd, Nelson...Those are the extensions I want to hear about

SABURZFAN
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
if Richardson is available, draft him and trade Jackson.

jamze132
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Jackson deserves something. The guy has outplayed his contract the last couple of years. It's not like it's going to be a huge extension. 2-3 years $8-10M

The Jokeman
03-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I could care less about the Fred extension

Levitre, Byrd, Nelson...Those are the extensions I want to hear about
Agree on the Jackson comment and the first two extensions you mentioned. Nelson not so much. As yes he's a good 3rd WR but not a game changer as could see his numbers dwindle to 30-40 catches if we find someone who can handle the #2 spot.

The Jokeman
03-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Jackson deserves something. The guy has outplayed his contract the last couple of years. It's not like it's going to be a huge extension. 2-3 years $8-10M
Yet that's $7-9 million you could use on someone else that likely going to be here longer than Fred. I hate to say it but Fred's gotta prove to me he was as good as he was last year but last the entire season before I consider giving him anything more than $4 million a season.

gr8slayer
03-27-2012, 07:52 PM
if Richardson is available, draft him and trade Jackson.
It would be hard to find a legitimate trading partner for a guy that old that needs a new contract. I'd sign him to a 5 year deal that's essentially a 3 year, front loaded deal.

elltrain22
03-27-2012, 07:54 PM
so we are gonna give a 31 year old RB coiming off a broken leg a extention i know he had a good year but come on RB are a dime a dozen now and age catches up to them quick i think its a bad move but for the right price i guess it would be fine

You are so off base here. How could you not be all in for Freddie getting paid?? So many reasons why you should be all for this. First, the dude makes plays. I don't give a flying flip if he's 31, he tough to tackle, hits the hole hard, catches the ball out of the backfield, and is a sure thing to get positive yards 99% of the time. Besides his success on the field, off the field he's a leader, well respected in the locker room, and just an easy dude to root for.

I do agree that rb's are a dime a dozen, but there aren't many Fred Jackson's in the NFL.

Saratoga Slim
03-27-2012, 08:31 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the conventional wisdom that RBs are a dime a dozen. Average to good ones might be, but I think the top notch ones are as hard to come by as any position on the field. I sure as hell noticed a difference when Freddie was in the game last year.

The Jokeman
03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the conventional wisdom that RBs are a dime a dozen. Average to good ones might be, but I think the top notch ones are as hard to come by as any position on the field. I sure as hell noticed a difference when Freddie was in the game last year.
Quick tell me was Bradshaw/Jacobs a good or great combo of RBs for the Giants laswt year? What about Starks and the Packers in 2010? What about that three headed monster of RBs for the Saints in 2009? Was Otis Anderson a better RB than Thurman Thomas in Super Bowl XXV? Fact is a great defense and an ability to run when needed and a QB that can make mistake free football when the games on the line is what helps you win more than not in the NFL. I'm not ready to dismiss Freddie Jackson but again the feel that he alone is more important then the rest of the parts is a mistake. NFL Football moreso than college and high school always was and always be a team game because of all the elite talent found on every team.

Beebe
03-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Best moves in years for the front office this is the way to keep us the fans happy and to have hope.

BUFFALO'S STAMPEDE DEFENSE

stuckincincy
03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
You are so off base here. How could you not be all in for Freddie getting paid?? So many reasons why you should be all for this. First, the dude makes plays. I don't give a flying flip if he's 31, he tough to tackle, hits the hole hard, catches the ball out of the backfield, and is a sure thing to get positive yards 99% of the time. Besides his success on the field, off the field he's a leader, well respected in the locker room, and just an easy dude to root for.

I do agree that rb's are a dime a dozen, but there aren't many Fred Jackson's in the NFL.

Very well said.

And locker room leadership means a lot. You have a bunch of youngsters on the roster, loaded with pockets full of jingle never thought possible. A number of which aren't exactly the brightest bulbs. Had strained upbringings.

Kids need guidance. Always have, always will.

jamze132
03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Yet that's $7-9 million you could use on someone else that likely going to be here longer than Fred. I hate to say it but Fred's gotta prove to me he was as good as he was last year but last the entire season before I consider giving him anything more than $4 million a season.
I'm pretty sure Freddie will earn his $4-5 mil this year.

Thief
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
wow, anyone complaining about an extention for fred is wack. Dudes been like half the offense for nearly 2 year.

Thief
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh, and the idea of training him and drafting a first rd rb is super wack.