PDA

View Full Version : Great story about Manning's decision

Philagape
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Very interesting details. Peter King breaks down the day-by-day, where Manning went, who he met with, some of the cloak-and-dagger tactics he used to elude the media, and how he made his decision. It might have been the Redskins had they not traded for the No. 2 pick.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/1/index.htm

MikeInRoch
03-27-2012, 01:04 PM
I am not sure I buy that he would have gone to the Redskins and played against his brother twice a year...

Cali512
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Love how quickly Pete Carrol ****ed his self lol.

PromoTheRobot
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
5 throwaway words in the first paragraph of that story could make this all moot: If...his...neck...holds...up. A lot of folks act like that's a given. Even if it does hold up, it's gonna be on Peyton's mind every time a defender closes on him.

PTR

better days
03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Well, As the article said the reason can be summed up in a word. But I think they got the word wrong. MONEY that is the word.

I doubt any other team would have paid Manning what the Broncos did & I think that was the only reason some teams were in the running at all, to drive up the price.

Cali512
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Wow Tebows name wasnt mentioned at all

Cali512
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Well, As the article said the reason can be summed up in a word. But I think they got the word wrong. MONEY that is the word.

I doubt any other team would have paid Manning what the Broncos did & I think that was the only reason some teams were in the running at all, to drive up the price.

Knowing now how stunned he was about the Colts cutting him, i seriously doubt he was just after the money. I think he did feel comfortable in the teams and everything first, Denver also had the money, but i think they got in it quick and showed him a family environment

better days
03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Knowing now how stunned he was about the Colts cutting him, i seriously doubt he was just after the money. I think he did feel comfortable in the teams and everything first, Denver also had the money, but i think they got in it quick and showed him a family environment

Manning knew every step of the way what the Colts were going to do. He could have avoided being cut if he postponed the date the exorbitant payment to him had to be made, but he refused to do so.

MikeInRoch
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow Tebows name wasnt mentioned at all

Well, maybe.....

He spent part of the weekend calling people he trusted, then interrupted Fox's dinner on Saturday night by phone with some questions, the tenor of which neither will disclose.

SquishDaFish
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Awesome share bro. Real good story

trapezeus
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
this is peter king's wheel house. stories like this he really excels at. his personal predictions are usually garbage.

Forward_Lateral
03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Manning knew every step of the way what the Colts were going to do. He could have avoided being cut if he postponed the date the exorbitant payment to him had to be made, but he refused to do so.

Why should he? After everything he did for that organization, they should've given him part ownership to keep him in Indy. It's deplorable how they just cut him and tossed him aside like a broken toy. That organization was in shambles when it drafted Peyton. A laughingstock. He took them to the playoffs almost every season he was their starting QB. They won a superbowl. He's a 1st ballot hall of famer, and a pure professional.

Forward_Lateral
03-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, maybe.....

I'd be willing to wager that Manning told Fox and Elway that if he signed with them, he'd want Tebow gone.

zone
03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd be willing to wager that Manning told Fox and Elway that if he signed with them, he'd want Tebow gone.
I'm willing to bet it was the other way around. He knows they wouldn't have even called him if Tebow was part of the plan.

Cali512
03-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Why should he? After everything he did for that organization, they should've given him part ownership to keep him in Indy. It's deplorable how they just cut him and tossed him aside like a broken toy. That organization was in shambles when it drafted Peyton. A laughingstock. He took them to the playoffs almost every season he was their starting QB. They won a superbowl. He's a 1st ballot hall of famer, and a pure professional.

Idc if Luck is the number one pick, you know what indi should of done? Traded out of the pick and did wat STL did. Now the 3 years you have left of Manning/Saturday/Wayne/Clark/Freeney, you can work on getting replacements. They should of traded down and gotten Blackman, or Reiff. Then you have your future T or WR for the next QB

MikeInRoch
03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm willing to bet it was the other way around. He knows they wouldn't have even called him if Tebow was part of the plan.

In either case, I'm sure both sides were in perfect agreement.

"No Tebow, right?"

"Right!"

better days
03-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Why should he indeed? It is terrible of a team to pay a player TWENTY THREE MILLION DOLLARS FOR ONE YEAR FOR DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Which is what the Colts did last year.

better days
03-27-2012, 04:33 PM

I think there was a consensus between the Broncos & Manning about Tebow before Manning signed with them.

jamze132
03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
5 throwaway words in the first paragraph of that story could make this all moot: If...his...neck...holds...up. A lot of folks act like that's a given. Even if it does hold up, it's gonna be on Peyton's mind every time a defender closes on him.

PTR
And the fact that he's 36 and hasn't played in well over a year.