• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

OT Rule Officially adopted for Regular Season

The playoff OT rule is now applicable during the regular season.

Score a TD and win, kick a FG the opponent gets a shot.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: OT Rule Officially adopted for Regular Season

seems weird to me. If the opposing team gets a shot for a FG they should get a shot for a TD to.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

McNabb rule in effect...
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
        McNabb rule in effect...
        Political Correctness rule now in effect...
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Go back to ties....

Comment

• zone
            No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
            • Oct 2003

Much more exciting that way.
            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
              • Sep 2003

I don't know why it's so freaking hard for people to get that both teams should have offense on the field at least once. You don't end baseball games if a team scores in the top of extra innings.

PTR
              10 Commandments of the D
              1. Never stop Rocking.
              2. Legalize all drugs.
              3. Quit your day job.
              4. All Religion should be taxed.
              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
              6. F**k her gently.
              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                I don't know why it's so freaking hard for people to get that both teams should have offense on the field at least once. You don't end baseball games if a team scores in the top of extra innings.

PTR
                Baseball is not a fluid, dynamic game. When you in defense, you are not allowed to go offense and score runs.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

I don't mind the rule one way or the other. Sudden death, as it was in the past, was fine with me and I'm also fine with the "Need a TD to win on first posession" rule that they have in place now.

The issue I had was the rule not being the same for Regular Season and playoff games. If you can win a Regular Season game by kicking a FG on the first posession in OT, you should be able to win a Post Season game that way as well. At least now, the rules are the same across the board.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see them do OT like they do basketball. Instead of 5 minutes or football, though, make it 10 minutes. If a team can keep the ball for that long and kick a FG as time expires, they deserve to win.

My major gripe was having different rules for regular Season and Playoffs... At least that's been fixed.

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
                    BoB Sabermetrician
                    • Jan 2003

PTR
                    But, a hockey game could end if a team wins the OT faceoff, goes right in and scores a goal... The team that didn't win the faceoff never had a shot on offense in that situation, either.

-Bill

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

When I hear those complicated OT rules, all I can think of is

"Don't do what Donny Don't Does: the 10 Do's and 500 Don'ts of Knife Safety."

MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        When I hear those complicated OT rules, all I can think of is

"Don't do what Donny Don't Does: the 10 Do's and 500 Don'ts of Knife Safety."

http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/The_10_...f_Knife_Safety
                        Ernest Borgnine approves.
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BLeonard
                          But, a hockey game could end if a team wins the OT faceoff, goes right in and scores a goal... The team that didn't win the faceoff never had a shot on offense in that situation, either.

-Bill
                          Originally posted by Ghz in Pittsburgh
                          Baseball is not a fluid, dynamic game. When you in defense, you are not allowed to go offense and score runs.
                          True, but in hockey teams play offense and defense at the same time.

In football they call the defense "the defense" because it's their main job to prevent scoring, not put up points. Hence, if a football team loses because the other team scores on the first possession it is not an even game. The team that got to play offense first gets a huge advantage.

PTR
                          Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM.
                          10 Commandments of the D
                          1. Never stop Rocking.
                          2. Legalize all drugs.
                          3. Quit your day job.
                          4. All Religion should be taxed.
                          5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                          6. F**k her gently.
                          7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                          8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                          9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                          10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• BLeonard
                            BoB Sabermetrician
                            • Jan 2003

True, but in hockey teams play offense and defense at the same time.

In football they call the defense "the defense" because it's their main job to prevent scoring, not put up points. Hence, if a football team loses because the other team scores on the first possession it is not an even game. The team that got to play offense first gets a huge advantage.

PTR
                            Like I said, I'm fine with it either way, as long as it is consistent in all games played. If you can win one way on OT during the regular season, that shouldn't change in postseason. That was my major issue.

But, I don't think there was a s big of an advantage to winning the coin toss as you believe. IIRC, the team that won a coin toss had a 52% chance of winning the game and only about a 30% chance of winning on their first posession. Now, that percentage, I believe, went up when the kickoff was moved from the 35 to the 30... But, now that it's back at the 35, I'd think the numbers would go back to around the same numbers as I stated above.

Ultimately, I don't think it's a big of an issue as many think it is. Hell, in 2010, the Bills played in 3 OT games, none of them ended on the first posession (meaning both teams had the ball) and they still lost all three.

This only covers from 1974-2003, but gives a decent look at OT games: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...ime_in_the_NFL

The NFL has had 325 overtime games since the rule was adopted in 1974. The results:
                            •Both teams have had possession 235 times (72.3%).
                            •The team that has won the toss has won 169 times (52.0%).
                            •The team that has lost the toss has won 141 times (43.4%).
                            •223 games were decided by a field goal (68.6%).
                            •86 games were decided by a TD (26.5%).
                            •One game was decided by a safety (0.3%).
                            •There have been 15 ties (4.6%).
                            So, in 325 OT games, only 90 of them ended with only one team having posession of the ball. That's 27.7%... Now, keep in mind, some of those games ended with the team scoring a TD on their first drive, whch would end the game with this new rule as well. So, the number of times where a team wn the toss and simply kicked a FG to win on their first drive is likely below 25% and could be closer to 20%.

Again, like I said, doesn't bother me either way, as long as the rules are the same for every game, regular season or playoffs.

-Bill

Comment

• MattyNH
                              • Nov 2011

I am fine with the rule but what I dont get is why they did just playoffs last year and now are doing regular season too. There was no big event or anything. It is like they woke up and got some common sense...if its good for the playoffs it is good for any game....I didnt get why they said just playoffs last year!

Comment

Working...
                              X