PDA

View Full Version : OT Jonathan Marin or WR Michael Floyd

more cowbell
03-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Based on everything I've been hearing/reading...it looks like its a given that Tackle is going to be the selection in Round 1 or 2.

That brings the question of who would you rather have? Jonathan Martin the OT from Stanford or Michael Floyd the WR from Notre Dame.

Chris Brown said himself that the Bills are nothing short of enamored by Jonathan Martin because of his experience (3 year starter) and his high IQ. We have been screaming for a left tackle now for years, and I think Martin is the only "1st round" tackle aside from Kalil who is ready to step in as a Left Tackle and play immediately. Based on what I've heard about Reiff (who I also like) he is being projected on the right side his first two seasons or so because of his suspect pass blocking skills (I was not aware of this...but Mike Mayock is one of the draft "experts" I actually listen to) - I know none of us are "experts" so if you're going to pull out that argument, then don't even bother posting. But its an open forum...thoughts people?

As for Michael Floyd, he is everything that Buddy Nix said they are looking for in a WR. A big, strong presence, who can beat a jam at the line, can go up and make circus catches, and is a major red-zone threat despite having extremely poor QB play at Notre Dame. He's had some off the field issues, however he seems to have had those cleaned up the past two years. If the Bills interest in Meachem was legit, I think that Floyd is more than just a "dark horse pick"

Discuss...

stuckincincy
03-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Based on everything I've been hearing/reading...it looks like its a given that Tackle is going to be the selection in Round 1 or 2.

That brings the question of who would you rather have? Jonathan Martin the OT from Stanford or Michael Floyd the WR from Notre Dame.

Quarterbacks don't complete passes when they are on the ground in a crumpled heap.

scartown
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Out of those two guys I'll go with Floyd

YardRat
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Go big, early and often. Martin.

Night Train
03-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Teams lie like politicians this time of year.

Everyone is playing the other teams and the fans keep biting the empty hook.

We don't know Anything !

Beebe
03-28-2012, 07:23 PM
FLOYD

Skooby
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
1st round players above the 8th pick for a LT ? Odds are low of success. Floyd can play today, he'd be out there on nearly every offensive down.

SquishDaFish
03-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Floyd

better days
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I just read that the Rams may want to trade back up to #4 to draft Blackmon. If Cleveland wants Blackmon themselves or if Cleveland wants an arm & leg from the Rams ( which I would not blame them for) to trade to #4 the Rams may be stuck at #6 & draft Floyd there. The Rams need to get some weapons for Bradford.

X-Era
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Who's Jonathan Marin?

:lol:

stuckincincy
03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Who's Jonathan Marin?

:lol:

If he has a birthmark splotch, he might be Jack Marin's grandson.

:mybills:

mjt328
03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I would go:
1. Riley Reiff
2. Michael Floyd
3. Jonathan Martin

Personally, I like Reiff more than Martin, simply because I think he's a safer pick.

In my opinion, Reiff's biggest issue is upper body strength. He usually lets defenders get into his pads, which certainly could be a problem when he's pass blocking in the pros. But I think his footwork and consistency makes up for that weakness. Hopefully with a quality NFL trainer, neither will be an issue.

Martin is the opposite. He's excellent using his hands, but not so great with his footwork. That leads to him lunging and sometimes losing his block. I've noticed that he's also kinda clumsy when trying to engage with defenders on downfield blocks. I think this is a much harder problem to correct at the pro level.

The Jokeman
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Over the last four NFL Drafts 11 wide receivers have been drafted in the first round and on average had a rookie season stat line that looked similar to this: 38 receptions, 560 yards and 4 TDs. That comes after a 2011 season when two rookie WRs had standout seasons which is not typical. In fact had I not included last year's class then the 8 rookie WRs taken from 2008-2010 had a stat line of 34 receptions, 487 yards and 3 TD. Just a heads up that if we prorate Donald Jones' production last year for a full season he would have produced 46 receptions, 462 and 2 TDs.

The question would that rookie 1st Round pick really be a better option than Jones? It doesn't appear so if go by the law of averages. So I say take Martin and look for a WR later in the draft who might develop into a better option than Jones in a year or two.

http://fantasyfootball.sportsblog.com/post/6/aj_green_julio_jones_rookie.html provided the 2008-2010 stats and I manually adjusted them to include the 2011 rookie stats of Julio Jones, AJ Green and Jonathan Baldwin.

better days
03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Over the last four NFL Drafts 11 wide receivers have been drafted in the first round and on average had a rookie season stat line that looked similar to this: 38 receptions, 560 yards and 4 TDs. That comes after a 2011 season when two rookie WRs had standout seasons which is not typical. In fact had I not included last year's class then the 8 rookie WRs taken from 2008-2010 had a stat line of 34 receptions, 487 yards and 3 TD. Just a heads up that if we prorate Donald Jones' production last year for a full season he would have produced 46 receptions, 462 and 2 TDs.

The question would that rookie 1st Round pick really be a better option than Jones? It doesn't appear so if go by the law of averages. So I say take Martin and look for a WR later in the draft who might develop into a better option than Jones in a year or two.

http://fantasyfootball.sportsblog.com/post/6/aj_green_julio_jones_rookie.html provided the 2008-2010 stats and I manually adjusted them to include the 2011 rookie stats of Julio Jones, AJ Green and Jonathan Baldwin.

Two things. One, WR's have a pretty long career in general so I would not care if they don't produce much as a Rookie, look at Stevie Johnson.

Two, Martin is not worth the #10 pick in the draft, but if the Bills can trade down & get him, fine.

Why are you so obsessed with stats? They mean VERY LITTLE, except in Fantasy Football.

FlyingDutchman
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Wish we would just re-sign Bell or sign Marcus Mcneil and be done with this debate. Id like Floyd, but I believe its more logical and wise to go with a Tackle

The Jokeman
03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Two things. One, WR's have a pretty long career in general so I would not care if they don't produce much as a Rookie, look at Stevie Johnson.

Two, Martin is not worth the #10 pick in the draft, but if the Bills can trade down & get him, fine.

Why are you so obsessed with stats? They mean VERY LITTLE, except in Fantasy Football.
I'm "obsessed" with stats because they relate to production on the field. So tell me why you feel Martin's not worth the 10th overall pick but a guy like Floyd that by your reasoning might not have much production on the field is?

I get we need an upgrade in talent at WR #2 yet the brain of thought that only a 1st Round rookie WR will due is foolish. As there's talent all over the draft but the key to any draft, whether it be NFL or fantasy, is acquring the most talent with your picks. To me a guy like Martin grades so much better than any other LT behind him moreso than the talent at WR behind Floyd. Moreso because Floyd AND any WR we take isn't likely going to produce much as a rookie. I mean Gailey's been able to make a 7th Round WR and undrafted WR a pretty good #1 and #3 WR. I don't think it's asking to much for him to make a 2nd Round or 3rd Round pick a #2 WR.

paladin warrior
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Both :peace:

stuckincincy
03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm "obsessed" with stats because they relate to production on the field. So tell me why you feel Martin's not worth the 10th overall pick but a guy like Floyd that by your reasoning might not have much production on the field is?

I get we need an upgrade in talent at WR #2 yet the brain of thought that only a 1st Round rookie WR will due is foolish. As there's talent all over the draft but the key to any draft, whether it be NFL or fantasy, is acquring the most talent with your picks. To me a guy like Martin grades so much better than any other LT behind him moreso than the talent at WR behind Floyd. Moreso because Floyd AND any WR we take isn't likely going to produce much as a rookie. I mean Gailey's been able to make a 7th Round WR and undrafted WR a pretty good #1 and #3 WR. I don't think it's asking to much for him to make a 2nd Round or 3rd Round pick a #2 WR.

Bills' fans have been crabbing about the OL for years - with justification.

Wood and Levitre paid off. I say add to that.

BillsWin
03-28-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm torn. I think Floyd is going to be a stud. But shoring up the offensive line may be the way the Bills go. We've been wanting it for years.

more cowbell
03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Wish we would just re-sign Bell or sign Marcus Mcneil and be done with this debate. Id like Floyd, but I believe its more logical and wise to go with a Tackle

McNiel is done.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
im not in the ot camp, but you always take the big man oline over the wr.

wrs can be found anywhere...

Bert102176
03-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Floyd all the way

Bert102176
03-28-2012, 11:48 PM
but since I want Floyd it means he won't be there

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2012, 05:45 AM

Chris Brown said himself that the Bills are nothing short of enamored by Jonathan Martin because of his experience (3 year starter) and his high IQ. We have been screaming for a left tackle now for years, and I think Martin is the only "1st round" tackle aside from Kalil who is ready to step in as a Left Tackle and play immediately. Based on what I've heard about Reiff (who I also like) he is being projected on the right side his first two seasons or so because of his suspect pass blocking skills (I was not aware of this...but Mike Mayock is one of the draft "experts" I actually listen to) - I know none of us are "experts" so if you're going to pull out that argument, then don't even bother posting. But its an open forum...thoughts people?

As for Michael Floyd, he is everything that Buddy Nix said they are looking for in a WR. A big, strong presence, who can beat a jam at the line, can go up and make circus catches, and is a major red-zone threat despite having extremely poor QB play at Notre Dame. He's had some off the field issues, however he seems to have had those cleaned up the past two years. If the Bills interest in Meachem was legit, I think that Floyd is more than just a "dark horse pick"

Discuss... It's going to be an interesting first day of drafting for this team. If both are sitting there at 10, that decision on who to take I would imagine could get very difficult. How do you weigh BPA vs need when both prospects at that pick come highly touted? It would be what I guess they would call a good problem to have. My guess is that whatever level of talent sits behind Floyd and Martin as far as position could ultimately determine who gets picked.

If the Bills feel there is more talent at the WR position beyond Floyd than there is behind Martin at Tackle, I would assume, best player available goes out the window, and the Bills would choose Martin. Either way, it could definitely change the direction of who they go after in the 2nd round. I think they are far more likely to draft a WR in the 2nd if they go with Martin in the first, than OT in the 2nd if they draft Floyd at 10. JMO

Mahdi
03-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Floyd is the better overall prospect. Martin has good feet and athletic ability but is not too strong or ready to run block in the NFL.

Floyd has all the tools for a #1 WR in the NFL and more.

Extremebillsfan247
03-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Floyd is the better overall prospect. Martin has good feet and athletic ability but is not too strong or ready to run block in the NFL.

Floyd has all the tools for a #1 WR in the NFL and more.I agree that Floyd is the better prospect. However, the talent level at left tackle gets very weak once the likes of Kalil, Reiff, and Martin are off the board. There is no other tackle that can come in and start for you on day 1. The Bills are not looking for a number 1 receiver. They would like a receiver that could compliment Stevie Johnson. Floyd could give them that but at a price that would leave them vulnerable at the most crucial spot on the Oline with no adequate blind side protector. Floyd, and Johnson wouldn't catch many passes with Fitz constantly on the run. JMO

jamze132
03-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Not a huge fan of taking a LT at #10 and not a huge fan of taking the 2nd best WR is the class at #10. If we can't trade down 3-5 spots, I say we just draft Luke Kuechly and kill mother ****ers on defense.

X-Era
03-29-2012, 06:26 AM
I think we will have 3 or 4 names there at 10. I think out of Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Martin, Floyd, and Martin 4 will be there.

I really think Floyd might be the pick. A big #2 WR was viewed as a significant enough need to go after Meachem. That need hasn't been filled since losing out.

CB- Aaron Williams may push down the urgency of our need at CB since we took him just last year and in the 2nd round. McGee is still here as is Florence, Rogers impressed, and McKelvin is here for depth. We will take one or two but we may not think its our biggest priority.

OT- This is a big need and is certaily in play at 10. The question is whether Martin would help us more than someone else... It ultimately comes down to that. The depth for starting caliber OT's is thin so taking one early if you need one makes sense. This may be the biggest possibility.

LB- The 4-3 needs help at LB. Merriman may never come back, we have several 3-4 OLB's and then we have Shepp who I am leary on still.

tampabay25690
03-29-2012, 06:34 AM

I agree with you here...
Sign bell back then draft a OT later then at 10 you can grab Floyd or a CB or even best player available.

ddaryl
03-29-2012, 07:16 AM
if the FO is convinced Martin can anchor the LT position then Martin over Floyd

AND sign Bell back and depth probelms are solved.

better days
03-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Not a huge fan of taking a LT at #10 and not a huge fan of taking the 2nd best WR is the class at #10. If we can't trade down 3-5 spots, I say we just draft Luke Kuechly and kill mother ****ers on defense.

Well, Kuechly is not worth the #10 pick either. If Tannehill is drafted before # 10, it means only 6 position players will be off the board before the Bills pick. Kuechly is not the 7th best player in the draft.

Kalil, Blackmon & Claiborne are sure to be off the board before #10. That leaves only 3 players in question that get drafted before the Bills pick. If the Bills stay at #10 they would be best off drafting Coples, Richardson, Ingram or Upshaw as BPA.

I would hope with all the GOOD players available at #10 that the Bills could trade down. I think it is stupid to over draft an OT or LB at #10 myself.

Fixxxer
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I would go:
1. Riley Reiff
2. Michael Floyd
3. Jonathan Martin

Personally, I like Reiff more than Martin, simply because I think he's a safer pick.

In my opinion, Reiff's biggest issue is upper body strength. He usually lets defenders get into his pads, which certainly could be a problem when he's pass blocking in the pros. But I think his footwork and consistency makes up for that weakness. Hopefully with a quality NFL trainer, neither will be an issue.

Martin is the opposite. He's excellent using his hands, but not so great with his footwork. That leads to him lunging and sometimes losing his block. I've noticed that he's also kinda clumsy when trying to engage with defenders on downfield blocks. I think this is a much harder problem to correct at the pro level.

Two months ago Reiff was the undisputed second best OT in the draft. A couple of disapointing inches short in his arms and as if suddenly the guy can't play anymore.

As you noted, the perception I get from watching Reiff is that his feet are fast and he's often in control because he finds his base rather quickly. When I watch Martin, he overcompensates with his upper body because his feet are not set and has trouble shuffling them to the right position.

I'm not saying Reiff will come in and start at LT and be an all pro, but I like him better than Martin. With our quick passing offense, I think both players could start right away and polish their games as they go along.

Another thing going for Reiff is his nastiness, watch him run block and he tries to punish people every single play. He is harrasing defenders even a little bit after the whistle, you have to love that. I want my OL to have that mentality, always.

baalworship
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I am on the Floyd train. Only question is how Bills view his off-field issues. Floyd is a big, physical player...exactly what Nix likes to draft.