X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • more cowbell
    • Apr 2006

OT Jonathan Marin or WR Michael Floyd

Based on everything I've been hearing/reading...it looks like its a given that Tackle is going to be the selection in Round 1 or 2.

That brings the question of who would you rather have? Jonathan Martin the OT from Stanford or Michael Floyd the WR from Notre Dame.

Chris Brown said himself that the Bills are nothing short of enamored by Jonathan Martin because of his experience (3 year starter) and his high IQ. We have been screaming for a left tackle now for years, and I think Martin is the only "1st round" tackle aside from Kalil who is ready to step in as a Left Tackle and play immediately. Based on what I've heard about Reiff (who I also like) he is being projected on the right side his first two seasons or so because of his suspect pass blocking skills (I was not aware of this...but Mike Mayock is one of the draft "experts" I actually listen to) - I know none of us are "experts" so if you're going to pull out that argument, then don't even bother posting. But its an open forum...thoughts people?

As for Michael Floyd, he is everything that Buddy Nix said they are looking for in a WR. A big, strong presence, who can beat a jam at the line, can go up and make circus catches, and is a major red-zone threat despite having extremely poor QB play at Notre Dame. He's had some off the field issues, however he seems to have had those cleaned up the past two years. If the Bills interest in Meachem was legit, I think that Floyd is more than just a "dark horse pick"

Discuss...
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: OT Jonathan Marin or WR Michael Floyd

Originally posted by more cowbell
    Based on everything I've been hearing/reading...it looks like its a given that Tackle is going to be the selection in Round 1 or 2.

That brings the question of who would you rather have? Jonathan Martin the OT from Stanford or Michael Floyd the WR from Notre Dame.
    Quarterbacks don't complete passes when they are on the ground in a crumpled heap.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• scartown
      • Dec 2008

Out of those two guys I'll go with Floyd

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Go big, early and often. Martin.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Teams lie like politicians this time of year.

Everyone is playing the other teams and the fans keep biting the empty hook.

We don't know Anything !
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Beebe
            • Aug 2011

FLOYD
            Attached Files

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

1st round players above the 8th pick for a LT ? Odds are low of success. Floyd can play today, he'd be out there on nearly every offensive down.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                • Jun 2005

Floyd

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

I just read that the Rams may want to trade back up to #4 to draft Blackmon. If Cleveland wants Blackmon themselves or if Cleveland wants an arm & leg from the Rams ( which I would not blame them for) to trade to #4 the Rams may be stuck at #6 & draft Floyd there. The Rams need to get some weapons for Bradford.

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Who's Jonathan Marin?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
                      Who's Jonathan Marin?

If he has a birthmark splotch, he might be Jack Marin's grandson.

:mybills:
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• mjt328
                        • May 2011

I would go:
                        1. Riley Reiff
                        2. Michael Floyd
                        3. Jonathan Martin

Personally, I like Reiff more than Martin, simply because I think he's a safer pick.

In my opinion, Reiff's biggest issue is upper body strength. He usually lets defenders get into his pads, which certainly could be a problem when he's pass blocking in the pros. But I think his footwork and consistency makes up for that weakness. Hopefully with a quality NFL trainer, neither will be an issue.

Martin is the opposite. He's excellent using his hands, but not so great with his footwork. That leads to him lunging and sometimes losing his block. I've noticed that he's also kinda clumsy when trying to engage with defenders on downfield blocks. I think this is a much harder problem to correct at the pro level.
                        2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                        Posted During the 2013 Draft
                        1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                        2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                        2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                        3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                        4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                        5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                        6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                        7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                        1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                        2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                        2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                        3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                        4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                        5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                        6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                        7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Over the last four NFL Drafts 11 wide receivers have been drafted in the first round and on average had a rookie season stat line that looked similar to this: 38 receptions, 560 yards and 4 TDs. That comes after a 2011 season when two rookie WRs had standout seasons which is not typical. In fact had I not included last year's class then the 8 rookie WRs taken from 2008-2010 had a stat line of 34 receptions, 487 yards and 3 TD. Just a heads up that if we prorate Donald Jones' production last year for a full season he would have produced 46 receptions, 462 and 2 TDs.

The question would that rookie 1st Round pick really be a better option than Jones? It doesn't appear so if go by the law of averages. So I say take Martin and look for a WR later in the draft who might develop into a better option than Jones in a year or two.

http://fantasyfootball.sportsblog.co...es_rookie.html provided the 2008-2010 stats and I manually adjusted them to include the 2011 rookie stats of Julio Jones, AJ Green and Jonathan Baldwin.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                            Over the last four NFL Drafts 11 wide receivers have been drafted in the first round and on average had a rookie season stat line that looked similar to this: 38 receptions, 560 yards and 4 TDs. That comes after a 2011 season when two rookie WRs had standout seasons which is not typical. In fact had I not included last year's class then the 8 rookie WRs taken from 2008-2010 had a stat line of 34 receptions, 487 yards and 3 TD. Just a heads up that if we prorate Donald Jones' production last year for a full season he would have produced 46 receptions, 462 and 2 TDs.

The question would that rookie 1st Round pick really be a better option than Jones? It doesn't appear so if go by the law of averages. So I say take Martin and look for a WR later in the draft who might develop into a better option than Jones in a year or two.

http://fantasyfootball.sportsblog.co...es_rookie.html provided the 2008-2010 stats and I manually adjusted them to include the 2011 rookie stats of Julio Jones, AJ Green and Jonathan Baldwin.
                            Two things. One, WR's have a pretty long career in general so I would not care if they don't produce much as a Rookie, look at Stevie Johnson.

Two, Martin is not worth the #10 pick in the draft, but if the Bills can trade down & get him, fine.

Why are you so obsessed with stats? They mean VERY LITTLE, except in Fantasy Football.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                              • Apr 2005

Wish we would just re-sign Bell or sign Marcus Mcneil and be done with this debate. Id like Floyd, but I believe its more logical and wise to go with a Tackle

Comment

Working...
                              X