Question about the Buffalo Bills defense history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackonyx89
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    • Mar 2005

Question about the Buffalo Bills defense history.

Ok Billszone stat masters, I'd like to know what was the Bills defense rankings when they went to the the 4 Super Bowls and the 1999 in which I believe they had a strong defense for the last time. Do you think the Bills may have a better defense now than they did then? Thanks and discuss!
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Question about the Buffalo Bills defense history.

uh how about the years in the early to mid 2000's when we had top 5 ranked D's?

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

If I recall the rankings were not that great because Walt Corey implemented a bend but do not break defense. They also had a lot of big play players that created turnovers and sacks. Also, due to the high power offense of the Bills other teams had to pass more to stay in the game.

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Checkout the Buffalo Bills Records, Top 12 Leaders, League Ranks, history and more on Pro-Football-Reference.com
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

1990 - 8th overall
          1991 - 27th overall
          1992 - 12th
          1993 - 27th

Comment

• blackonyx89
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
            uh how about the years in the early to mid 2000's when we had top 5 ranked D's?
            Really, where are the stats on that? That's why I asked the question I didn't know, do you have a link for the 2000's?

Never mind, Philagape gave me the link.
            Last edited by blackonyx89; 03-29-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by blackonyx89
              Really, where are the stats on that? That's why I asked the question I didn't know, do you have a link for the 2000's?

Never mind, Philagape gave me the link.
              you actually had no idea that we had a great defense during that general period?

Comment

• blackonyx89
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                you actually had no idea that we had a great defense during that general period?
                When you under perform for so many years like the Bills have, you forget how good the Bills were defensively at least in my case. Just being honest about that Pink. Anyway, I hope they get back to their winning ways again, that's all I can say about that.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

The Bills defense of the 1960's was the most dominant in the team's history - both statistically and compared to the rest of the league. I want to say that I think they went something like 15-20 games in a row without giving up a rushing TD

The Super Bowl era defense had stars and guys who were "Stat stuffers" with lots of sacks, turnovers, ect.... But as a dominating defense, they were hardly that. Dominant special teams, yes- but not defensively Their big problem was that they were on the field too much. When you score that fast that often, teams playing catch up racked up yards and points.

The Flutie Era defense was better than the Super Bowl defense.

The Chuck Knox defense (early 1980's) was better than the current one as well

Let's play a season or two without giving up 30-40 points a game before we start drinking the kool aide for best D of all time
                  Last edited by Dozerdog; 03-29-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• imbondz
                    Democrats are people too
                    • Jan 2003

Our 1999 defense that lost to Tennessee in the playoffs was insanely good.
                    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      Sab and TD are insignificant
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by imbondz
                      Our 1999 defense that lost to Tennessee in the playoffs was insanely good.
                      For the record, they didnt lose that game, the refs handed the game to the titans.
                      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
                        • Mar 2004

In 1998 I think we were #2 and in 1999 I'm pretty confident we were #1. Not sure about the early 90's. And no this defense is not even close. We might have had the worse defense last year. A couple of players isn't going to change it overnight. Those defenses took years to build.
                        Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

The Super Bowl defenses were the teams' Achilles heel. Bend but don't break, and hopefully come up with a big play. They did have some outstandingly talented individuals that were able to do that, but in the end they still weren't good enough to match up with the better teams in the league.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

The Chuck Knox era had some great D's.

Sherman White, Fred Smerlas, Ben Williams, Lucious Sanford, Shane Nelson, Jim Haslett, Isiah Robertson, Eugene Marve...lots of talent in the front 7.

Loved Knox & that D, Ralph blew it by letting him walk.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• PTI
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by YardRat
                              The Super Bowl defenses were the teams' Achilles heel. Bend but don't break, and hopefully come up with a big play. They did have some outstandingly talented individuals that were able to do that, but in the end they still weren't good enough to match up with the better teams in the league.
                              Marv Levy having no balls and letting the inmates run the asylum was that teams achilles heel, that team had some real stud players on defense, but the team as a whole has the most undeserving person possible in the NFL HOF as a HC.

Comment

Working...
                              X