Fred Jackson rated best pass-protecting back in the league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Fred Jackson rated best pass-protecting back in the league

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

"But so what if you gave up some pressure, if you were staying into block a lot? That’s where our Pass Blocking Efficiency signature stat comes in handy. A simple enough formula, we take the combined number of sacks, hits, and hurries (where hits and hurries are worth three quarters that of a sack), divide it by the number of pass blocks and take that away from zero. Like this:

Pass Blocking Efficiency = (1– ((Sacks + 0.75*(Hits + Hurries)) / Pass Blocking Snaps)) * 100

What this tells us is that there isn’t a better back in the league (at least in 2011) than Fred Jackson. But then you don’t need a fancy formula to figure that out as the Bill was the only running back not to give up a single QB disruption all year. That was one less than the Atlanta Falcon duo of Jason Snelling and Michael Turner who each gave up just one piece of pressure to finish second and third."
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Fred Jackson rated best pass-protecting back in the league

Whoa, go FJ!!

Comment

• Cali512
      • Jan 2012

We also gave up the least amount of sacks
      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

I wonder if people will accept metrics now that they aren't being used to show that Poz was actually very good.

Here are all of Fred's PFF.com metric rankings for RBs:

Overall: #1 (24.0 Value)
        Receiving: #2 (8.3 Value)
        Running: T-#9 (10.8 Value)
        Blocking: #1 (4.9 Value)
        Yards After Contact: #13 (637 yds)
        Yards After Contact/Attempt: #1 (3.7 yds)
        Broken/Avoided Tackles: 34

ALSO GOOD TO NOTE:

CJ Spiller graded #15 overall.

That's a good problem to have.
        Last edited by JCBills; 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Fred tops out on almost all the metrics..

Its got to be one of the most amazing and underrated stories of a journey to NFL success.

If we can make a playoff run with Freddie he might finally get the full recognition he deserves

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

Seeing these here fancy numbers and meterics and all is nice an'all, but it only be confirming what us unedumacated folks new just watchin' that Jackson boy play football. He's good, an he is a valuable guy to be havin' on the team.

Seriously, these things are only going to cost us money. I know there are a lot of people who are in the "he's getting old" camp, but it would be in our best interest to get him extended soon. Front load the contract like we did with Lee, so that way if age does catch up to Freddie, it won't be a huge loss to part ways. If he evades age, like he does the first guy trying to tackle him, we win, and have a cheap RB. Get the lad some guaranteed money, and show him you appreciate him. I don't think FJ is the out of control ego type, but this is his profession, so just pay him and have done with it.

I know that Buddy has said FJ will get his extension, and I just hope we don't try to go on the cheap, or a short term deal, and have Freddie go to the Pats or something, and scorch the **** out of us for five years after our FO thought he was done...

Comment

• mjt328
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
              Seeing these here fancy numbers and meterics and all is nice an'all, but it only be confirming what us unedumacated folks new just watchin' that Jackson boy play football. He's good, an he is a valuable guy to be havin' on the team.

Seriously, these things are only going to cost us money. I know there are a lot of people who are in the "he's getting old" camp, but it would be in our best interest to get him extended soon. Front load the contract like we did with Lee, so that way if age does catch up to Freddie, it won't be a huge loss to part ways. If he evades age, like he does the first guy trying to tackle him, we win, and have a cheap RB. Get the lad some guaranteed money, and show him you appreciate him. I don't think FJ is the out of control ego type, but this is his profession, so just pay him and have done with it.

I know that Buddy has said FJ will get his extension, and I just hope we don't try to go on the cheap, or a short term deal, and have Freddie go to the Pats or something, and scorch the **** out of us for five years after our FO thought he was done...
              Normally I'm not a fan of handing big contracts to veteran running backs - especially those over 30 and especially with a guy like CJ Spiller sitting the bench.

But Jackson has a lot less wear than most running backs. And if he plays remotely close to how he did to start 2011, he will be worth every penny.
              2013 "My Should Have" Draft
              Posted During the 2013 Draft
              1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
              2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
              2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
              3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
              4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
              5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
              6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
              7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
              1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
              2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
              2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
              3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
              4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
              5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
              6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
              7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

I think Freddy is a solid player, but the reason pass protection seemed to work, is because Fitz is reckless with the ball, sometimes it is better to take a sack then throw up a prayer that turns into an INT.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by PTI
                  I think Freddy is a solid player, but the reason pass protection seemed to work, is because Fitz is reckless with the ball, sometimes it is better to take a sack then throw up a prayer that turns into an INT.
                  I rather enjoy how you think everything that happens with this team, whether good or bad, is DIRECTLY related to how poorly you think Fitz is...

Freddy J is awesome? That's cuz Fitz sucks.

How many prime time games will the Bills get? No way we'd get a flex game, cuz Fitz is the worst possible quarterback in the history of November and December.

The Bills will move up 3 spots in the first round? Somehow your conclusion is that Fitz will be benched by week 10.

We get it.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2010

such a great all around back..

i still think he can play at a all pro level the next 2 years.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I agree. His contract should be reworked. The issue of course is going to be the length of the deal and the guaranteed money. Whether or not he's a back with low miles, it would be risky to sign him to a 5 year deal. I think a contract extension through the 2014 season would be about right. For the next three seasons; 2012,2013, and 2014, he should be paid like a top five RB in the league.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X