PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Downtown Los Angeles Stadium proposal in trouble

BLeonard
03-31-2012, 08:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_downtown_los_angeles_nfl_stadium_goodell_aeg_032912

More than three months after a clandestine meeting that featured billionaire developer Phil Anschutz, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Anschutz continues to show no interest in changing the terms of a deal that would return the NFL to downtown Los Angeles, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

That lack of interest means that plans for a downtown stadium to be built and run by Anschutz Entertainment Group may be all but dead in the eyes of many involved. AEG is supposed to unveil an Environment Impact Report on the site in early April. However, that report may be worth little more than the paper it’s printed on if Anschutz and AEG don’t make a shift in the financial plan that’s been presented to NFL officials.

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
03-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Those clowns in LA don't deserve an NFL team let alone our Buffalo Bills. I hope it never happens.

Johnny Bugmenot
03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Those clowns in LA don't deserve an NFL team let alone our Buffalo Bills. I hope it never happens.
They're market #2, we're market #50. They deserve it more than we do.

YardRat
03-31-2012, 09:12 PM
**** Kraft...he needs to get his fat **** greedy stubby fingers out of everything the league does. If he wants a team in LA so badly, let him take his team of homos out there.

BLeonard
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM

I'm sorry, but that's ****ing ridiculous...

Just because LA is a bigger market doesn't mean they "deserve it more."

First off, just becasue it's a bigger market doesn't mean that they would watch more football. It just means they have more potential viewers. It doesn't matter how big your market is, if they don't watch the product.

Seattle is the 14th largest market, while Oklahoma City is 45th. Ask Sonics fans just how much that meant when David Stern and the NBA basically stole that city's franchise from them.

Cleveland is a bigger market than Baltimore... Research the Cleveland Browns around 1995 to see how much that mattered.

Salt Lake City is 33rd... Green Bay is ranked 70th... So, by your logic, Salt Lake City deserves a team more than Green Bay does, right??

-Bill

NOT THE DUDE...
03-31-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry, but that's ****ing ridiculous...

Just because LA is a bigger market doesn't mean they "deserve it more."

First off, just becasue it's a bigger market doesn't mean that they would watch more football. It just means they have more potential viewers. It doesn't matter how big your market is, if they don't watch the product.

Seattle is the 14th largest market, while Oklahoma City is 45th. Ask Sonics fans just how much that meant when David Stern and the NBA basically stole that city's franchise from them.

Cleveland is a bigger market than Baltimore... Research the Cleveland Browns around 1995 to see how much that mattered.

Salt Lake City is 33rd... Green Bay is ranked 70th... So, by your logic, Salt Lake City deserves a team more than Green Bay does, right??

-Bill

the bills are in the top 15 of revenue out of all nfl teams...lol

more cowbell
04-01-2012, 12:07 AM

If its based solely upon that I guess the Packers should move to a bigger market then?

I live in Southern CA and aside from Los Angeles being one of the worst places I have ever been in my life, there is no interest in a new NFL team there unless its the Raiders that move. 95 percent of the locals, who watch football there are Raiders fans.

LA is a giant melting pot of a city, therefore most of the avid football fans that live there are from various parts of the country and still follow their "hometown" teams. It's the same thing down here in San Diego where the fan support for the Chargers is absolutely embarrassing.

Mike
04-01-2012, 07:16 AM
the bills are in the top 15 of revenue out of all nfl teams...lol

Largely due to tv ad revenue sharing & a low payroll

Night Train
04-01-2012, 08:02 AM
We're starting to see the division among the larger markets and the smaller ones, where the Krafts, Snyders, Jones & Luries of the NFL drive the league and detest the small market revenue sharing that Ralph and his team pushed through in the latest collective bargaining agreement.

Notice Krafts outrage at the Mario Williams signing, figuring some of his revenue is funding it. Our answer was to sign Anderson and shove it deeper up his backside. If it was up to the lager market owners, the league would be roughly 24 teams in the biggest cities, where revenue could be maximized without revenue sharing.

Only the original charter of the League was the good of all, which the next generation of owners would just as soon have us forget. The sport itself drives the revenue but they become so consumed with the business end that they cannot see the Green Bays & Buffalo's of the league are still viewed as favorable among fans.

LA will eventually get their team but it will be Oakland or San Diego, who the regional fans could identify with. Kraft or any other big market owner cannot change fan acceptance.

BertSquirtgum
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM

I don't care what their market value is. They don't deserve ****.