PDA

View Full Version : Panthers might **** the bed & the Sabres have all the tie-breakers

Skooby
04-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I can see FL losing all four of their remaining games starting in Detroit. Panthers' only need lose three of four and us win three. If FL loses all 4, we just need to win 2 games & we get their spot or 2 OT losses & a win). Florida is collapsing right now, so you never know.

chernobylwraiths
04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
That's all?

Skooby
04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
That's all?

Yeah Al, that's all I got. It's better than the boo-hoo I've been reading about, (4552?).

SabreEleven
04-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Is it boo-hoo or reality?

Skooby
04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Is it boo-hoo or reality?

Never give up on the power of people F-in up in Florida, we're always making headlines down here.

PTI
04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
They are up 1-0 over Detroit. 2nd period.

Skooby
04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
They are up 1-0 over Detroit. 2nd period.

The table is tilting away from the Sabres slowly but surely, let's see how the game ends.

SabreEleven
04-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Detroit tied it up. 1-1, 13 mins left in the 3rd

SabreEleven
04-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Into OT, one more point closer to not making the playoffs

YardRat
04-01-2012, 05:47 PM
The only team ****ting the bed right now is the Sabres, unfortunately.

Skooby
04-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Fl lost in OT, so there is less room for error. Sabres need at least 5 points to tie them, which is not exactly going to be easy. I have little faith but the season has looked over several times, so we'll see. Everything being equal, FL looks good for at least another OT game and a few more losses.

Florida has also lost 9 of the last 12 games & plays the Caps Thursday as well, so something has to give there.

OpIv37
04-01-2012, 07:02 PM
It's over, Skoob.

As trap said on my FB, it's the worst possible outcome. We miss the playoffs, and don't get a good draft pick. Plus, we were close enough that management may not be willing to break the team down.

Another year pissed away for Buffalo sports.

The average life span of the American male is 75.6 years. I just turned 33. Rounding up and assuming I'll make it to the average of 76, that means the Bills and Sabres combined have 86 more opportunities to win a championship before I die. ****... I don't like those odds.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
boo-hoo I guess, this season is over.

Skooby
04-01-2012, 07:51 PM
boo-hoo I guess, this season is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

G Wolly
04-01-2012, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I once shared your optimism.

Skooby
04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I once shared your optimism.

Don't close your register yet.

G Wolly
04-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Your optimism is so adorable.

I'm as much of a diehard as anyone here, but there's a certain point where you have to admit reality.

Skooby
04-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Your optimism is so adorable.

I'm as much of a diehard as anyone here, but there's a certain point where you have to admit reality.

Sure, as soon as the door closes.

chernobylwraiths
04-02-2012, 06:02 AM
No reason not to be hopeful. However, I have not been optimistic about this season since early January.

jamze132
04-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Losing to ****ing Toronto was worse than being stabbed in the ****ing neck with a butter knife.

Mski
04-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Losing to ****ing Toronto was worse than being stabbed in the ****ing neck with a butter knife.we didnt just loose to Toronto, we lost to their 4th string Goalie

OpIv37
04-02-2012, 09:18 AM
No reason not to be hopeful. However, I have not been optimistic about this season since early January.

have you watched the team play this season? Have you seen the damn near impossible situations that would need to occur for this team to make the playoffs?

There are plenty of reasons to not be hopeful.

chernobylwraiths
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
have you watched the team play this season? Have you seen the damn near impossible situations that would need to occur for this team to make the playoffs?

There are plenty of reasons to not be hopeful.

fan of Nietzsche I see:

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs man's torments. ~Friedrich Nietzsche, Human, All Too Human, 1878

SkateZilla
04-02-2012, 12:21 PM
we didnt just loose to Toronto, we lost to their 4th string Goalie

Back to back nights, end of season games will do that to any team,

look at how columbus stomped FLA

SkateZilla
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
To Catch FLA, we'd have to Win Out, and they would only be allowed 1 point, so they must go 0-2-1.

FLA Games Left
v WPG (4-1 vs WPG)
@ WSH (2-3 vs WSH, 0-2 @ WSH)
v CAR (4-1 vs CAR, 2-0 @ Home)

MON, WIN,
MIN, LOSS,
CBJ, OTL,
DET, LOSS,
WPG, LOSS,
WSH, LOSS,
CAR, WIN
That was my prediction

So Far,

MON-Win
Min-OTL
CBJ-LOSS
DET-SOL

Either way, Washington or Florida, We Need to Win Out, and they need to lose certain games.

trapezeus
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM
this was a brutal weekend. we lost and the teams we needed to lose didn't.

like OP said, i worried about this during MArch. The sabres storm up the latter to make a run and then fall in the 9th spot when they had the 3rd ball at one point. That was the center we wanted.

And Ruff is staying for another year. And it's going to be, "we did well when healthy, we have to stay healthy! and we did so well at the end that i'm positive we'll do better next year."

Still a soft, soft team. mentally and physically. you lose to pitts in an honorable fight, know you are in the thick of things and then blow a must win game against a goalie who let in 7 in his last game. or was partly responsible for 7. No excuse.

I'd love to see roy moved or ruff cut. i think reiger is standing by his guy way too long and he's brought in talented people. Make it happen.

OpIv37
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Either way, Washington or Florida, We Need to Win Out, and they need to lose certain games.

with our luck, Was and Fla will both go 0-3, we'll win the first two, then lose against Boston on a fluke goal in the 3rd.

Skooby
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
with our luck, Was and Fla will both go 0-3, we'll win the first two, then lose against Boston on a fluke goal in the 3rd.

Anything to get tortured until the last second, that's the Buffalo way.

OpIv37
04-02-2012, 01:01 PM
If it makes you feel any better both Florida and Washington can't go 0-3 to end the season since they play each other...........

Good point, I forgot about that.

That game's a catch-22. On one hand, it guarantees that at least one of them will have 1 loss. On the other hand, any outcome in that game eliminates one scenario that would help the Sabres.

And if it goes to OT, we're pretty much ****ed.

Skooby
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Good point, I forgot about that.

That game's a catch-22. On one hand, it guarantees that at least one of them will have 1 loss. On the other hand, any outcome in that game eliminates one scenario that would help the Sabres.

And if it goes to OT, we're pretty much ****ed.

No 3 point game is exactly what we need to come up, based on today. We have to see what happens in the next few days before a specific outcome is needed to help the Sabres. It could all be moot if the Sabres can't handle Toronto Tuesday as well, may the Leafs can start the waterboy in net ?

trapezeus
04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
if washington loses tonight, then i'll hold a little hope, but i think we all know the result that will happen.

SkateZilla
04-02-2012, 02:52 PM

we need 3 points to catch WSH,

so if we win 2 and they go 0-3, we're in.

the only good news for us is boston clinched, so they are resting players./

this is where you look back at all those games that were lost in OT/Shootout when we had the lead with less than a minute left.

OpIv37
04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
we need 3 points to catch WSH,

so if we win 2 and they go 0-3, we're in.

the only good news for us is boston clinched, so they are resting players./

this is where you look back at all those games that were lost in OT/Shootout when we had the lead with less than a minute left.

or all the games that went to OT cuz we choked in the 3rd period- Regulation wins is the first tiebreaker and that's what's killing us against the Caps right now.

OpIv37
04-02-2012, 03:05 PM
And please, everyone REMEMBER THIS next year when I'm *****ing about giving up the extra point to conference opponents in October next year. 3 or 4 points is literally going to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. If we had earned one or two more and given up 1 or two fewer we'd be in much better shape right now.

G Wolly
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM

or sekera will give up a shorthanded breakaway

SkateZilla
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
or sekera will give up a shorthanded breakaway

Someone had to take Gragnani's Job.

trapezeus
04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
or going .500 on the road in january instead of that 0-12 stretch. the sabres could conceivable be in the hunt for 2nd place based on Boston's demise.

The 2007 sabres showed us, play hard to start and then go .500 from february on. that is more sustainable, and still gets you into the top 4.

This turn it on at the end is a killer way to live because you end up getting into the playoffs completely out of gas.

and look at what hte sabres did. they squeaked into a position to make it, but simply two losses in 2 days derailed everything.

They will have to take a hard look at this team. even if people stayed injury free, i don't think they could have been a top 4 seed. The beat a lot of bad teams (CLOSE BTW) in this stretch. and they lost leads to some bad teams.

This team needes more than a player or two coming off the roster. it needs coaches coaching players up. and this is something ruff has done the opposite of for almost 5 years.

SkateZilla
04-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Lieno and Boyes need to go.

folingo - ennis - staff is a decent 2nd line.

vanek - hodgson - poms could be a good second line.

from there its up in the air. we have no first line, we had 2 second lines, and no 3rd or 4th line.

Maybe a extra year in Rochester helps Luke Adam be a decent 3rd line center.

Boyes is way past his prime, he scored 40+ goals 5 years ago, then 30+ goals 4 years ago, was a -20 the year he scored 30 and a +1 the year he had 40, so his defense is rubbish.

Leino never had the tools to be a scorer worthy of a mutli-million dollar contract, he's soft, gets pushed off the puck easily, tries to do power forward moves along the boards and turns it over, about to be 29, with only one average season in Philly under his belt, other than that, his stats and history are garbage, philly acquired him, slotted him, and dumped him when they saw the same thing Detroit did. and here comes Buffalo, throwing 3 mill a year at him instead of pursuing Brad Richards.