• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

PFT- Bell's price is too damn high

Ding, ding:

Last edited by Skooby; 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM.
  • Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: PFT- Bell's price is too damn high

I'd like Bell much more if it weren't for the nagging injuries. No team is going to break the bank on a guy that can't stay healthy.

If the Bills truly want him back, tomorrow morning first thing offer him just a little bit more money than they had previously offered him and I'm betting he will sign right away.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Scumbag College
      I'd like Bell much more if it weren't for the nagging injuries. No team is going to break the bank on a guy that can't stay healthy.

If the Bills truly want him back, tomorrow morning first thing offer him just a little bit more money than they had previously offered him and I'm betting he will sign right away.
      Agreed, he might need more but the reality of the matter is that he hasn't showed a consistent ability to stay healthy (like you said).

Comment

• BLeonard
        BoB Sabermetrician
        • Jan 2003

I'd go the other way... The longer he waits, the more the value of the contract offer goes down.

Visiting all these teams and not agreeing to something pretty much says he's looking for a big deal that he simply isn't worth. It also tells me that the Bills offer is probably the highest he's been offered.

So, screw him. He wants to dick around, drop the value of the offer, because it's obvious he hasn't been offered more elsewhere. With the Draft quickly appoaching, he might find himself without a job at all if he keeps waiting for some mega-deal that obviosuly isn't going to be offered.

-Bill

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BLeonard
          I'd go the other way... The longer he waits, the more the value of the contract offer goes down.

Visiting all these teams and not agreeing to something pretty much says he's looking for a big deal that he simply isn't worth. It also tells me that the Bills offer is probably the highest he's been offered.

So, screw him. He wants to dick around, drop the value of the offer, because it's obvious he hasn't been offered more elsewhere. With the Draft quickly appoaching, he might find himself without a job at all if he keeps waiting for some mega-deal that obviosuly isn't going to be offered.

-Bill
          Closing a deal usually doesn't work as well if you pull your offer, it creates hard feelings.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2005

if any of you have seen my posts then you know that i firmly believe that bell with be back in buffalo at least for next season. the way it is looking now its even more in his best interests to accept the deal from the bills that is on the table and with a training staff he knows and line he is comfortable playing with and focus on staying healthy for a season and up his value. if (IMO when) he signs he is the starting left tackle. Hairston will get another season to groom and some play here and there i am sure but Bell starts day one. It also allows them to dodge having to draft a tackle prospect to high. they could still draft a 2nd or 3rd round prospect to play behind bell and hairston for 1 season.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
              Closing a deal usually doesn't work as well if you pull your offer, it creates hard feelings.
              Didn't say pull the offer... Simply said, the longer he waits, the lower the offer gets...

How many teams has he gone to now and not gotten a deal? Do you think all of those other teams are just leaving their offer on the table? I highly doubt it. My guess is, they're looking to sign other players, or fill the void in the Draft.

As far as "hard feelings" go, is Bell just gonna be mad at every team that doesn't offer him what he thinks he's worth? I have no issues with a player "testing the market." But, there come a point when a player needs to say "Hey, this offer might be the best I'm gonna get."

Like I said, at this point, the Draft is only a couple weeks away. He can keep testing the market and be butthurt about not getting an offer he likes all he wants, but it might not be too much longer before teams go in a different direction, either by signing another FA, or drafting a player. That might put him out of the league altogether.

-Bill

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Didn't say pull the offer... Simply said, the longer he waits, the lower the offer gets...

How many teams has he gone to now and not gotten a deal? Do you think all of those other teams are just leaving their offer on the table? I highly doubt it. My guess is, they're looking to sign other players, or fill the void in the Draft.

As far as "hard feelings" go, is Bell just gonna be mad at every team that doesn't offer him what he thinks he's worth? I have no issues with a player "testing the market." But, there come a point when a player needs to say "Hey, this offer might be the best I'm gonna get."

Like I said, at this point, the Draft is only a couple weeks away. He can keep testing the market and be butthurt about not getting an offer he likes all he wants, but it might not be too much longer before teams go in a different direction, either by signing another FA, or drafting a player. That might put him out of the league altogether.

-Bill
                If you lower the contract, you pulled the offer. If someone wanted to buy your house for less than offered, how would they be different from another party that offered a higher amount? They're a different party & separated by their offer, it all changes based on the terms.
                Last edited by Skooby; 04-01-2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                  If you lower the contract, you pulled the offer. If someone wanted to buy your house for less than offered, how would they be different from another party that offered a higher amount? They're a different party & separated by their offer, it all changes based on the terms.
                  I don't see it that way. Here's how I see it:

Bell was given an offer before FA started. He wanted to go "test the market." Now, he's seeing that his market isn't waht he thought it was. If I'm the Bills, I say "Look how many places he's been and he can't make a deal. Why should we have our offer as high as it is, because it's obvious that other teams aren't offering more, or he obviously would have taken it."

Testing the market is a gamble. Some players cash in bigtime. Others, not so much. Bell is obviously finding out that he isn't worth as much as he thought and his market is shrinking every time a team signs another player, or decides to address the position in the Draft.

When the supply is greater than the demand, the cost goes down. That's what seems to be happening here.

-Bill

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

FA's from the Bills in such high demand and all.

I don't see it that way. Here's how I see it:

Bell was given an offer before FA started. He wanted to go "test the market." Now, he's seeing that his market isn't waht he thought it was. If I'm the Bills, I say "Look how many places he's been and he can't make a deal. Why should we have our offer as high as it is, because it's obvious that other teams aren't offering more, or he obviously would have taken it."

Testing the market is a gamble. Some players cash in bigtime. Others, not so much. Bell is obviously finding out that he isn't worth as much as he thought and his market is shrinking every time a team signs another player, or decides to address the position in the Draft.

When the supply is greater than the demand, the cost goes down. That's what seems to be happening here.

-Bill
                    Last edited by Skooby; 04-01-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• thenry20
                      • Jan 2004

Not really break the banlk but didn't San Fran give Jonas Jennings a lot of $$$$ to sign? Unless I'm mistaken, he never played 16 games in a season except once. You forget how much demand there is for a LT even if he's only barely mediocre.

It's like signing an again vet south paw for the bullpen.

Comment

• Mike
                        • Jan 2009

The Market has spoken.

All offers are conditional and temporary. These types of negotiations are fluid, ongoing, and always changing because of outside market. Both parties change according to that market. If the Bills see that Bell is not in demand, they will offer him smaller contract, less signing bonus, more stringent conditions. Conversely, if he was in demand the price would be going up. Bell would ask for more money based on other teams offers. So in retrospect, it would be silly for Bell to feel but hurt because he didn't take an offer and later that offer changed.
                        Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                          • Jan 2009

After the draft those offers might really go down
                          Please Make Sense

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Bell has every right to see if he can get the money he and his agent think he deserves. However, his agent is probably an idiot who misread the market and now a possible starting LT on 20+ teams is still unsigned and every day that continues, Bell will be losing money. No doubt in my mind whoever he signs with already offered him more money but has since lowered the offer. Maybe Bell will be in the market for a new agent soon too.

Comment

• clumping platelets

The offers will just go down further after the draft

Comment

Working...
                              X