PDA

View Full Version : The tying goal

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
I know i was flabberghasted at the tying goal. "how could they let that go on for as long as they did without a whistle? Man those refs love buffalo!"

but then i thought about it. There are 12 players on the ice. There were 8 of them in the crease with the clock ticking. If the sabres didn't score there, wouldn't we have been upset the other way? "Why didn't they blow the whistle and let us change the line?"

Granted part of the answer is "because we are fickle fans."

but honestly, i think that was BS in toronto's favor. There is no way constant jamming at the puck with that many bodies in the crease should result in a goal. That was an against the odds outcome. I'm glad it worked out, but it seemed like it was designed to just let time run off the clock until they absolutely had it.

SabreEleven
04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
What does CBO mean?

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
canadian biased officiating. sorry. i just assumed we all knew what that meant since it comes up every year during the playoffs.

Mski
04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
What does CBO mean?+1

Mski
04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
how about option C: the Ref was actually in the right position and could see the puck the whole time and wasnt biased at all

Mski
04-04-2012, 08:42 AM
although how there wasnt a penalty called on Komaserik >is that how you spell his name?< for his raping of Foligno was definately CBO

jamze132
04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
If you watch the highlights on ESPN, they highlighted the puck and Leopold's stick. It showed the ref actively watching the action and the puck.

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
the ref actually looked like he was in the right position. he was leaning over and i suppose he could see it. i never saw it. and i can't believe you said ESPN spent more than the time it took for the puck to get into the net on hockey highlights.

for a league interested in protecting blows to the head, komiscerik (sp?) put in about 4-5 solid slams of folingo's head to the ice. i'm guessing shanny isn't going to give us a video and a suspension.

Mski
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
for a league interested in protecting blows to the head, komiscerik (sp?) put in about 4-5 solid slams of folingo's head to the ice. i'm guessing shanny isn't going to give us a video and a suspension.not to mention it was clear before the puck was even dropped kosmasarik (sp?) wanted nothing to do with the play, and just to take Foligno out... and it was his whiff on a hit right off the face off that started the whole thing

SkateZilla
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
the Ref was one of those bodies right in front of the goal, the puck was never frozen, and there was gonna be a delayed penalty on Scrivens anyway for Holding Leopold's stick. and if it would have been whistled, it would have also been a penalty on the Toronto player for covering it.

The fact that 2 goals went up to Toronto for review and favored Buffalo instead of toronto was funny.

rbochan
04-04-2012, 09:33 AM
"I think the ref was watching how many times I got punched in the face and was in awe."

--Marcus Foligno

chernobylwraiths
04-04-2012, 09:41 AM
If a Toronto player other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease, it is a penalty shot I believe.

Mski
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
If a Toronto player other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease, it is a penalty shot I believe.i think its situational.. if its clear the player prevented the goal, i think they just award the goal, if its not clear then its a penalty shot

OpIv37
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
It was just a freak occurrence that worked out in our favor.

Usually, when that many players get involved in front of the goal, the ref loses sight of the puck. This time, we just got lucky that he was able to see it and that Toronto wasn't able to clear or cover.

Dr. Lecter
04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
i think its situational.. if its clear the player prevented the goal, i think they just award the goal, if its not clear then its a penalty shot

It is not situational. It is a penalty shot.

(iv) Falling on the puck in the goal crease

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26552

SkateZilla
04-04-2012, 10:22 AM
i think its situational.. if its clear the player prevented the goal, i think they just award the goal, if its not clear then its a penalty shot

the puck was about 2 feet out from the crease.,

SkateZilla
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
It is not situational. It is a penalty shot.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26552

if the net is empty its a automatic goal.

(ie you pull goalie late in the game, then turn it over, other team tries to score on the empty net and you cover it in the crease w/ no goalie on the ice, its a automatic goal.)

rbochan
04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
The ref was actually giving the Leafs a break. The puck was sitting under a defenseman in the crease. The D-man was crouched over it, but did not lay down on it, so the puck was available. Had he flopped on it, it would have been a penalty shot. Had the ref blown the whistle with the puck under a D-man, it would have been (arguably) a penalty shot. The ref could see the puck, so he refused to blow the whistle because he didn't want to get involved in a penalty shot controversy.

Mski
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The ref was actually giving the Leafs a break. The puck was sitting under a defenseman in the crease. The D-man was crouched over it, but did not lay down on it, so the puck was available. Had he flopped on it, it would have been a penalty shot. Had the ref blown the whistle with the puck under a D-man, it would have been (arguably) a penalty shot. The ref could see the puck, so he refused to blow the whistle because he didn't want to get involved in a penalty shot controversy.so there was no need to blow the whistle.. im sure the last thing he was thinking was "please dont let me get into a controversy over this"

Dr. Lecter
04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
canadian biased officiating. sorry. i just assumed we all knew what that meant since it comes up every year during the playoffs.
I was trying to figure out what the Congressional Budget Office had to do with this.

SkateZilla
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Correct Beer Order.

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
I was trying to figure out what the Congressional Budget Office had to do with this.

dude, that's how high the conspiracy goes!!! ;-)

Cali512
04-04-2012, 12:39 PM
The goalie frantically was moving side to side looking for it. So the ref new he didnt have it. So the puck was loose. The goalies reaction is all you need to know to tell if the puck should be covered. The goalie never saw it

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
No call on Kamisarik, but how about the goalie grabbing Leopold's stick and not letting go, obviously the ref is looking at the loose puck to not call the penalties on that play.

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 01:36 PM
yeah, but if he doesn't grab the stick, maybe leopold whiffs on the goal. leopold even said in the post game that the holding of the stick was the reason he scored.

chernobylwraiths
04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
The ref did lose sight of it, though he knew approximately where it was. It was already in the net and the light was on and the horn going before he saw it.

SabreEleven
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
The ref did lose sight of it, though he knew approximately where it was. It was already in the net and the light was on and the horn going before he saw it.

I think he lost sight of the puck also but I think he also knew that Scrivens didn't have the puck so he let the play continue.

chernobylwraiths
04-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I think he lost sight of the puck also but I think he also knew that Scrivens didn't have the puck so he let the play continue.

They never seem to blow the whistle when the puck is pinned against the boards anymore. This doesn't seem much different.

SkateZilla
04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
if it was in the blue paint it would have been a different outcome, whistle would have been blown alot quicker.