PDA

View Full Version : Report: Vikings tell parcell to name his price

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 11:00 AM
i know its not buffalo related, but man, is minny in a world of hurt. they just keep throwing money around hoping money will solve their problems. they did it for favre and mcnabb. this has the feeling of donahoe run program.

i think their owner needs to find a quality football guy and just get hands off for a little bit and go through the pains we went through as bills fans after jauron.

i just don't get why they'd think parcells would want anything to do with them. he only considered the saints job because it is temporary and he likes what he sees overall in terms of talent.

BLeonard
04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
I think this lies a bit deeper than the actual on-field product, though.

A lot of people probably aren't aware that the Vikings' stadium lease is up and they have been trying for the better part of a decade to get a new stadium. The Minnesota politicians, however, are playing hardball and don't seem to be doing anything to help the Vikes get the stadium funding.

In bringing guys like Favre and McNabb (and now, trying for Parcells) I'm thinking they are hoping for a "Peyton Manning Effect" to happen. What I mean is, there is a a good chance that, if the Colts had not had Peyton Manning, they would not have gotten funding for Lucas Oil Stadium and might even be out of Indianapolis. But, because they had Manning (and were successful with him) it put the Colts in a much better position to get Lucas Oil built, because of the increased fan support that Manning (and the Colts winning) brought to the table.

Look back to 1998, when the Bills lease was approaching expiration. That year, Doug Flutie came in, the Bills started winning and got a new lease deal. Not that they wouldn't have without it, but having those elements on their side (Flutie being a popular player and winning games) certainly didn't hurt the Bills when it came time for lease negotiations.

Hell, look at this year... The Bills are in the last year of their lease and, for the first time in God-knows-how-long, they do a pretty bang-up job in Free Agency, landing the guy that was rated as the #1 defensive FA on the market (and 2nd in most cases only to Peyton Manning).

Is it merely a coincidence that, in the last year of the lease, the Bills go "All in" on Free agency and trying to win in the 2012 season? I don't think so.

Think about it this way: If you were on the fence about giving the Bills the $100 million they were looking for in order to sign a new lease, would you be more willing to do so after an offseason like this one, or say the offseason they had before the 2011 season?

-Bill

mysticsoto
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
If that's the case then I want 1 yr leases every year!!!

trapezeus
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
good points. however, the peyton manning effect took some time and he won games.

the vikings tend to just hope one player will fix other issues. i think it was true they brought favre in. then the following year was brutal because he was old and their line and d was aging. then they bring in mcnabb because they still have name players, but their talent is declining due to age.

parcells will simply not take this job. and he's pretty unreliable when he does. Parcells makes sense for the saints. he doesn't want a long gig, they are already set up to be successful. the offense is Qb'd by a guy who doesn't need babysitting. Parcells can focus on defense.

Vikings have ponder who is young. and a defense that hasn't really gotten it done. then they have a meddling owner and an uncertain stadium deal. If you've made millions and are comfortable, you hvae to have passion to want to come back and parcells has kind of shown from miami onward that he's kind of had enough.

thenry20
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
It would be really sad if the Vikings left Minn.