PDA

View Full Version : Michael Floyd - Sports Science

DraftBoy
04-05-2012, 07:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7776652

Cool little video to watch, the numbers don't mean a whole heck of a lot but you can see the kid has some amazing athletic ability.

better days
04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Mike Mayock was an announcer at many ND games last year so he saw Floyd a lot. He thinks Floyd is very close to Blackmon in ability. He does have those off the field concerns however.

DraftBoy
04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree with Mayock on the field, the DUI thing is less of a concern for me.

trapezeus
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
what are the off-field issues? i didn't know of them but saw two article and now this mentioning them.

DraftBoy
04-05-2012, 10:58 AM
what are the off-field issues? i didn't know of them but saw two article and now this mentioning them.

DUI

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 11:00 AM

he had a couple of alcohol-related issues. One was a DUI, I think the other one was underage drinking (no driving involved).

He was briefly suspended from the team during spring practices (by the university, not the NCAA) but the suspension was lifted and he didn't miss any games.

BillsWin
04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Him or Blackmon at 10 please.

The last buffalo fan
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
he had a couple of alcohol-related issues. One was a DUI, I think the other one was underage drinking (no driving involved).

He was briefly suspended from the team during spring practices (by the university, not the NCAA) but the suspension was lifted and he didn't miss any games.

As a ND fan, what do you think about him? pros and cons.

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
and that video is sick. This dude is ridiculously athletic.

And thanks, DB- I have work to do but now I just want to sit here watching Sports Science videos all day.

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 11:08 AM
As a ND fan, what do you think about him? pros and cons.

Pros: extremely athletic, makes tough catches in traffic, has both speed and route-running abilities.

I don't see the off-the-field issues as a huge concern. A college student who drinks? Oh no, whatever shall we do? He was just one of the unlucky ones who got caught.

Cons: his worst games were against top corners. Even in the bowl game against FSU, he struggled until their top corner got hurt.

Of course, in terms of the Bills, Stevie Johnson is going to occupy the other team's top corner most of the time, so this may not be as big a concern.

Philagape
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Of course, in terms of the Bills, Stevie Johnson is going to occupy the other team's top corner most of the time, so this may not be as big a concern.

If they draft him, I don't think that order will last long.

The last buffalo fan
04-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Pros: extremely athletic, makes tough catches in traffic, has both speed and route-running abilities.

I don't see the off-the-field issues as a huge concern. A college student who drinks? Oh no, whatever shall we do? He was just one of the unlucky ones who got caught.

Cons: his worst games were against top corners. Even in the bowl game against FSU, he struggled until their top corner got hurt.

Would you pick him at the 10th spot?

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
If they draft him, I don't think that order will last long.

You could be right, but if other teams want to try to cover Stevie with their #2 corner, I'm OK with that.

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Would you pick him at the 10th spot?

at first I thought 10 was too high, but the more I think about it, the more it seems about right for Floyd.

I'd rather see Buffalo draft OT or ILB, but if none are available that are worthy of 10, I'm OK with Floyd.

I'd definitely love to see Buffalo have a quality player from ND too. The last one was CB Jeff Burris I think, and that was mid-late 90's.

The Jokeman
04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
at first I thought 10 was too high, but the more I think about it, the more it seems about right for Floyd.

I'd rather see Buffalo draft OT or ILB, but if none are available that are worthy of 10, I'm OK with Floyd.

I'd definitely love to see Buffalo have a quality player from ND too. The last one was CB Jeff Burris I think, and that was mid-late 90's.
No love for Dan O'Leary or Tony Driver?

Cali512
04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
With the thoughts of him being better than Blackmon, he will be our pick if he gets to us.

Top 10

Indi- Luck
Was- Griffin
Min- Kalil
Clev- Richardson
TB- Claiborne
STL- Blackmon
Jack- Coples
Mia- Tannehill
Car- Brockers

Which leaves Floyd. This is a very un creative mock, but i feel its realistic. The teams that would probably go after Floyd would be Jacksonville, and Miami. I dont see either front offices being smart enough to write Floyds name on the paper tho

jamze132
04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
After watching that, I don't think I would be too upset with taking him at #10. He could be a huge red zone threat and very dynamic on a 5yd slant.

better days
04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree with Mayock on the field, the DUI thing is less of a concern for me.

Well, the Lions were not concerned about off field issues in the last draft & it came back to bite them in the azz.

BLeonard
04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Well, the Lions were not concerned about off field issues in the last draft & it came back to bite them in the azz.

Detroit's players were busted for marijuana posession... I think that's a bit more severe than a DUI... Especially considering that the Lions players were all busted AFTER being drafted.

Getting busted for a DUI while in college is one thing... Getting busted for marijuana after being signed to a multi-million dollar contract is another.

Not justifying it, just saying there is a difference.

-Bill

SquishDaFish
04-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I want Floyd as a Bill bad! But would be happy with Blackmon lol

Oaf
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I have a sneaking feeling both will be taken before 10.

Leaving us with the decision of Reiff vs. Kueckley IMO. I'm ok with either.

SquishDaFish
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
If so then I want Luke

Night Train
04-06-2012, 07:28 AM
My concern with him is getting seperation against top CB's, which he struggled with in college. He'll see that EVERY week in the NFL. Doesn't come off the line well at all.

Then he's reduced to winning jump balls with athleticism and we just failed with that type player in James Hardy.

I'll defer to Nix and the scouts. If they think he's the guy, I'll support the pick 100 % until proven otherwise but I don't wear the blinders others have with this guy. The present concerns are legit.

better days
04-06-2012, 07:59 AM
My concern with him is getting seperation against top CB's, which he struggled with in college. He'll see that EVERY week in the NFL. Doesn't come off the line well at all.

Then he's reduced to winning jump balls with athleticism and we just failed with that type player in James Hardy.

I'll defer to Nix and the scouts. If they think he's the guy, I'll support the pick 100 % until proven otherwise but I don't wear the blinders others have with this guy. The present concerns are legit.

Well, since I don't know what Nix thinks, I will defer to Mike Mayock. He said Floyd breaks very well off the line, comparable to Blackmon.

better days
04-06-2012, 08:01 AM
I have a sneaking feeling both will be taken before 10.

Leaving us with the decision of Reiff vs. Kueckley IMO. I'm ok with either.

If it comes down to those two, I'm OK with neither. DeCastro, Coples or Ingram for me.

Night Train
04-06-2012, 08:11 AM
DeCastro, Coples or Ingram for me.
Ingram being 6-1 and his 30 inch midget arms will hurt his stock. Besides, every time South Carolina D film is posted, the standout is CB Gilmore.

If Mayock sees Floyd as a legit talent, I'm more optimistic.

better days
04-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Ingram being 6-1 and his 30 inch midget arms will hurt his stock. Besides, every time South Carolina D film is posted, the standout is CB Gilmore.

If Mayock sees Floyd as a legit talent, I'm more optimistic.

Well, like you said, I will defer to Nix. Mayock thinks Floyd has the talent to be a top 10 pick. The only concern with him is his off field behavior.

The team that drafts him will have to do a through investigation on him. Underage drinking can be chalked up to immaturity, but to get a DUI after that is just poor judgement.

Night Train
04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Well, like you said, I will defer to Nix. Mayock thinks Floyd has the talent to be a top 10 pick. The only concern with him is his off field behavior.

The team that drafts him will have to do a through investigation on him. Underage drinking can be chalked up to immaturity, but to get a DUI after that is just poor judgement.

Agreed.

After Lynch & McGahee, I don't want any more drama at the top. I also remember Hardy at Indiana having lots of off field issues. I suppose I'm worried about any Diva types and gravitate more towards the solid boy scout types.

Look at the Lions now. They took a couple guys with checkered backgrounds in college and they're still doing it as pro's, which will probably bring suspensions. Can't wave the broad brush but let's avoid that nonsense if possible.

X-Era
04-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Watching the vertical and the catch area my first thought was Nix saying they want a WR that's open when they aren't open... due to size and jumping ability.

Floyd has a real chance to be our pick.

better days
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Watching the vertical and the catch area my first thought was Nix saying they want a WR that's open when they aren't open... due to size and jumping ability.

Floyd has a real chance to be our pick.

I agree.............if he is still on the board & the Bills are satisfied he won't screw up off the field in the future.

Beebe
04-06-2012, 07:48 PM
He could be the next ROB GRONKOWSKI but in a WR for us.

Crisis
04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
You could be right, but if other teams want to try to cover Stevie with their #2 corner, I'm OK with that.

The Jets should start doing that to shield Revis.

DraftBoy
04-06-2012, 10:33 PM

Actually I think they'd tell you they were far more disappointed with Fairley's inability to stay healthy and make an impact on the field.

better days
04-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Actually I think they'd tell you they were far more disappointed with Fairley's inability to stay healthy and make an impact on the field.

Well, both Fairley & Leshoure have had trouble staying healthy & staying out of trouble. Both could be suspended by the NFL next year & that is strike one for both.

alohabillsfan
04-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Well since Floyd was born in 1989 I dont think we have to worry about that underage drinking thing again.

better days
04-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Well since Floyd was born in 1989 I dont think we have to worry about that underage drinking thing again.

Well, he got a DUI AFTER the under age drinking. No age limit on that & many people get more than one.

Thief
04-07-2012, 09:30 PM
You could be right, but if other teams want to try to cover Stevie with their #2 corner, I'm OK with that.I do not understand your rationale. Most NFL #2 CBs were college standouts.

The Jets should start doing that to shield Revis.You must be refurring the game were Stevie dropped the game winner.

alohabillsfan
04-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Well, he got a DUI AFTER the under age drinking. No age limit on that & many people get more than one.

geez, i was being funny, lighten up Francis

better days
04-08-2012, 12:06 PM

I guess I did not catch the humor in that post. I thought you missed the fact he also got a DUI.