PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Williams Bounty Gate Audio

DraftBoy
04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
If you havent heard this yet, you need to listen;
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_gregg_williams_speech_saints_49ers_bounty_040412

ddaryl
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
damn blocked for me.. But the article tells me this was worse then we even imagined

methos4ever
04-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Here's the uncut 12 minutes:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19899434/Williams%20Audio_All.m4a

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Gregg

Stewie
04-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Wow, blatantly telling his players he expects them to beat on opposing players heads to give them concussions.

Blatantly told them he wants them to take out crabtree's ACL

I hope goddell bans him for life.

YardRat
04-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I'd be very surprised if he ever gains employment in the NFL again.

Captain gameboy
04-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I'd be very surprised if he ever gains employment in the NFL again.

I hope he never does.
I always thought there was something wrong with him.

That tape is not excused by its' context in a violent sport.
That man needs help.

trapezeus
04-05-2012, 08:31 AM
I hope he never does.
I always thought there was something wrong with him.

That tape is not excused by its' context in a violent sport.
That man needs help.

was it the fact that it looks like he had his eyes done like he's some hollywood A lister but has the body of grimace? That's what tipped me off.

better days
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Isaid it as soon as the news broke about Williams & the bounties, He needs to be suspended for life. Others were saying it was BS that everyone does it. After hearing that audio, I hope everyone agrees with me.

Historian
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
You know, I live my life based on a set a values that were given to me by my parents, Grandparents, etc, but as I am now the patriach of my own family, one rule kind of prevails:

Never do anything that you would be embarrassed to have to explain to your kids.

When this guy coached here, he could routinely be found at Clarence HS on Friday nights, rooting on his son, who played football.

Which is the real Gregg Williams? Is it the nuturing Father who attended all his kid's functions, or the ruthless coach, who offered cash incentives to players to injure other players. Can the two personalities exist in the same individual?

Is it possible he encouraged his son to play that way? (I honestly don't remember what position he played)

As a parent, the ramifications of this thing kind of have me wondering.

Captain gameboy
04-05-2012, 08:57 AM
He has always seemed to me to be one of those guys who lives in some military fantasy.
The pasty guy who believed the world never thought he was tough enough, so he had to show them.
He makes me sick.

I remember being at FedEx the day the Bills beat the Skins on that Lindell field goal when Joe Gibbs called two consecutive timeouts.

When the Bills got the ball for what was to be the winning drive, he separated himself from the rest of his team by at least 50'as Trent Edwards moved the Bills slowly down the field, with this stupid grimace on his face, as if saying "This isn't my fault."
I've never seen a coordinator do that.

I never forgot that stupid look or that posture.

justasportsfan
04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Greghead's talk makes Sexy Rexy look like a saint.

Jan Reimers
04-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Williams should be banned for life from the NFL, and I would hope that he would never be hired at any other level - college or high school or pee wee.

He is a genuinely evil person.

DraftBoy
04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
The talk doesn't bother me, and I know for a fact that is not out of the ordinary for the most part.

The ACL thing that bothers me more than anything else. Bounty programs still exist, have existed, and will always exist in sports. Its just one of sports many dirty little secrets.

But like I said the ACL thing bothers me, and by the way Williams knew he was being taped.

trapezeus
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
i can't hear the audio, but reading the article, the quotes sound like a man trying to fire people up. but once he gets into re-concussing a guy and hurting players, its stops being about words.

you hear these firey speeches a lot and know when people are just shouting to get you going, but the second money starts exchanging hands like that for a specific action of someone getting hurt, you are probably doing something very unique.

and furthermore, even if this is standard around NFL locker-rooms, the fine and suspensions show that it isn't something the NFL wants around anymore.

So coaches will need to know how to fire their guys up and amp them up before the game.

i still think its a fine line. you see the defensive huddles before the game and you rarely hear exactly what is being said. but i bet it's pretty tough talk in there as well.

I wonder how deeply this changes that bravado culture amongst defensive players.

Mski
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
there are people trying to defend him on twitter, saying things like "if you've never been in a NFL locker room, you have no right to judge" "these speaches are common practice"... its all BS... i've been in the Jets locker room when a speach like that one would have been given, and there was nothing in it about harming other players.

Thurman Thomas, who has been in alot of NFL locker rooms, also said that he has never heard anything like that before

imbondz
04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
that is crazy someone recorded that! wow. totally evil and dumb.

GreenMachine
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
He is a scumbag.

http://www.staged.com/video?v=358b

Captain gameboy
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
If you listen real close, and I mean real close, you can hear him ask his players to determine if Trap's vasectomy is 100% healed, or if he's just a girly boy.

better days
04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
The talk doesn't bother me, and I know for a fact that is not out of the ordinary for the most part.

The ACL thing that bothers me more than anything else. Bounty programs still exist, have existed, and will always exist in sports. Its just one of sports many dirty little secrets.

But like I said the ACL thing bothers me, and by the way Williams knew he was being taped.

What has always existed was incentives for making great plays. Incentives for injuring players is over the line & players & former players this morning said as much.

And I heard on Jim Rome a short while ago while driving to the store that the Saints thought it was to be a PRIVATE video for a former player with MLS.

Cali512
04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
“During my time with the team, numerous sources told me that Williams used to go around bragging that he had a ‘[expletive] you’ clause in his contract – that he could basically do whatever he wanted in terms of running the defense, with complete autonomy,” Pamphilon said. “The message was clear: ‘I’m running [expletive]. If you don’t do it my way, you’ll be gone.’ ”

Isnt this the exact reason he always gets fired?

ddaryl
04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned for life is the only option IMO... This is a much worse offense then Pete Rose's gambling issues which got him banned for life.

Extremebillsfan247
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
In my opinion, the punishments dealt out to the Saints organization were not severe enough. Even though this kind of thing has gone on in the NFL for a long time, it destroys the integrity of the game. The Saints were just the team that got caught doing it. I have no doubt that other teams also did this sort of thing. I don't even know how anyone who knows about this, watches these games from here on out without having that thought in the back of their mind, "is there a bounty on our star player?" The NFL has a potentially huge problem here. This isn't going away any time soon.

Cali512
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
I didnt care much when i thought it was just, knock him out and if he stays out you get money. Now knowing that they would target there ankles, and at the bottom of piles they were probably tryin to break fingers and ****, thats scary

Turf
04-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Wow he'll never coach in the NFL again. And I don't think the players would let him coach them. Here in the anti concussion age he's pushing for concussing people. Lifetime ban, what a tool.

Bill Cody
04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I wonder how many other Gregg Williams clones are out there. It's really sickening. It's no wonder so many players brains are tapioca pudding by the time they're middle aged. How many times does he focus on getting the "head"? We all get that the NFL is a tough tough game but this is ridiculous.

MattyNH
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Most of it isn't a big deal to me until he starts about going after an ACL, that seems over the top. Preaching to hit a guy hard is fine. I was always taught control the head and the body will follow and that is a true statement.

cpearl
04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I heard that the guy doing the documentary also commented that Gregg was rubbing his fingers and thumbs together during party of the speech as to imply money would be involved.

This is completely over the line. He will never coach in the NFL again.

Ed
04-05-2012, 05:50 PM

What's even more amazing is that Williams not only knew that he was being recorded, but he also already knew that he was under investigation by the NFL. What an arrogant SOB. I hope he never coaches again, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to hire him in the first place.

MikeInRoch
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
but I can't imagine why anyone would want to hire him in the first place.

Because he won games. People are willing to overlook almost anything if you win games.

better days
04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I didnt care much when i thought it was just, knock him out and if he stays out you get money. Now knowing that they would target there ankles, and at the bottom of piles they were probably tryin to break fingers and ****, thats scary

Breaking fingers is nothing. Jerry Rice cut off part of his finger so he would not miss any games. Gregg was telling players to break knees & give concussions. MUCH MORE serious than fingers.

DynaPaul
04-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Glad we let that sack of ****e go.

Jeff1220
04-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Sweep the Leg!

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2012, 09:39 PM

Yep it is annoying that most people are acting like this speech can't be heard every week all over the league.

The only issue is the specific calling out of injuring ACLs etc....

:thurm2:

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I wonder how many other Gregg Williams clones are out there. It's really sickening. It's no wonder so many players brains are tapioca pudding by the time they're middle aged. How many times does he focus on getting the "head"? We all get that the NFL is a tough tough game but this is ridiculous.
Probably most coaches on most teams.

THATHURMANATOR
04-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I heard that the guy doing the documentary also commented that Gregg was rubbing his fingers and thumbs together during party of the speech as to imply money would be involved.

This is completely over the line. He will never coach in the NFL again.
No doubt Williams is nuts especially knowing he was being taped!

Ed
04-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Because he won games. People are willing to overlook almost anything if you win games.
I think the Saints offense won games more than Gregg Williams did.

There are better DC's out there right now and there will be better ones in the future. Williams brings so much baggage at this point that there will probably always be a better option.

better days
04-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Yep it is annoying that most people are acting like this speech can't be heard every week all over the league.

The only issue is the specific calling out of injuring ACLs etc....

:thurm2:

Well, the calling out for injuries is EXACTLY what separates Gregg Williams from 99.9% of NFL Coaches.

Telling your team to play hard is one thing. Telling them to injure star players on the other team is something altogether different.

thenry20
04-06-2012, 12:59 AM
What about the morons who hate Goodell for what he did? I've seen and heard many Ain't fans who truly dislike the man for doing what he did! Wow.

It's karma like this that brings hurricanes upon you. Scary indeed.

Ginger Vitis
04-06-2012, 05:53 AM
I think the Saints offense won games more than Gregg Williams did.

Bingo.. For all of Williams bluster and his pleadings and beggings for his defensive players to give out concussions and tear ACLs.. The 49ers offense had almost 450 combined yards in the game..

better days
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Bingo.. For all of Williams bluster and his pleadings and beggings for his defensive players to give out concussions and tear ACLs.. The 49ers offense had almost 450 combined yards in the game..

I doubt the Saints would have beat the Vikings the year they won the Super Bowl if they did not injure Favre with illegal dirty hits in the Championship game even though he continued to play, he was much less effective late in the game because of injury.

better days
04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
What about the morons who hate Goodell for what he did? I've seen and heard many Ain't fans who truly dislike the man for doing what he did! Wow.

It's karma like this that brings hurricanes upon you. Scary indeed.

And I doubt they would even have a team if not for Goodell. The owner wanted to move them to San Antonio after Katrina, but Goodell would not let it happen.

TedMock
04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Like others, it's the ACL comments that really put it over the edge. There are certainly other bounty programs out there and they are all wrong. One could argue that the rest of the speach was just a fired up coach trying to fire up his guys. It would be a bigtime BS argument, but reasonable doubt could certainly be put into place if done properly. However, the ACL thing is a deal breaker. Just scumbag coaching.

Night Train
04-06-2012, 08:34 AM
He's done and I feel nothing for the guy.

He was the biggest A-hole ever and deserves all of this. Karma came calling.

better days
04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Like others, it's the ACL comments that really put it over the edge. There are certainly other bounty programs out there and they are all wrong. One could argue that the rest of the speach was just a fired up coach trying to fire up his guys. It would be a bigtime BS argument, but reasonable doubt could certainly be put into place if done properly. However, the ACL thing is a deal breaker. Just scumbag coaching.

It was not only ACL, Gregg told his players to hit guys in the head that had just come off having a concussion which is even worse for long term health of players.

Jeff1220
04-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I emailed Florio a copy of my Karate Kid Saints picture. I figured they'd get a kick out of it (it's the sort of thing PFT would have posted in their pre-NBCsports days). Anyway, today, he used a Karate Kid reference in a Saints/Bounty article:

The difference is that what I wrote is something that players innately know to be true, and that the line is hopelessly crossed when a man who isn’t putting on a uniform and entering harm’s way commands his troops to, essentially, “sweep the leg.”

Coincidence?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/08/williams-remarks-brings-injury-reports-back-into-focus/

YardRat
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Breaking fingers is nothing. Jerry Rice cut off part of his finger so he would not miss any games. Gregg was telling players to break knees & give concussions. MUCH MORE serious than fingers.

Pretty sure that was Ronnie Lott, not Jerry Rice.

better days
04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Pretty sure that was Ronnie Lott, not Jerry Rice.

Yeah you are right. Ronnie Lott. I guess a DB does not need a finger as much as a WR LOL.