PDA

View Full Version : How I would Fix the Game

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while. It bugs the crap out of me how the game has fallen off because all the clutching and grabbing. It's very close to pre-lock out and they need to take some of the responsibilies out of the ref's hand because they could make another change but it will go back to the same after a while...AGAIN...Here are my suggestions which I know will never come about because the Owners and GMs don't have any vision.

1. Change the number of games from 82 to 76. Players are playing games too tired and it shows in the quality. Teams are playing too many back-to-back games especially against someone who hasn't the night before.

2. Take out the first row of seats in every arena, making the ice surface bigger. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger. Give them room to move and we'll see more offense. My concern would be if this makes the game faster and bringing up the concussion issue. Make the ice surface bigger and perhaps bring back no two line passes.

I know that these two will never go into affect because it takes money out of the owner's pockets but what they lose in money, they'll gain in populatarity and bigger TV contracts.

3. Change the point system to 3 pts for a regular win, 2 for OT win and 1 for SO win...No points for losing, you lost, you don't get a point. I know people will say it wouldn't affect the current standings but it would affect how teams play the game which would affect the current standings if they were played with point system in tact.

Thoughts?

CuseJetsFan83
04-05-2012, 12:27 PM
in regards to the 76 games this is the exact approach the AHL is taking this year, and the NHL wants to see the viability of it.

yeah it would suck to lose 3 home games, but if it keeps players healthy, im all for it.

one thing i've always wanted was 3 points for regulation win
2 points for OT win
1 point for tie if OT solves nothing

get rid of the shootout, or enforce playoff rules and make them play til a win.

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Every game should be the same number of points.

My personal preference would be to just bring back ties. Every game is 2 points, 2 for win (reg or OT), 1 each for tie, **** you if you lose, even in OT.

Failing that, I'd make every game 3 points- 3 for regulation win, 0 for regulation loss, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss.

I hate the illogical "A game is worth 2 points in the standings, unless it takes more than 60 minutes to get a winner. Then, for some reason, it's worth 3."

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
in regards to the 76 games this is the exact approach the AHL is taking this year, and the NHL wants to see the viability of it.

yeah it would suck to lose 3 home games, but if it keeps players healthy, im all for it.

one thing i've always wanted was 3 points for regulation win
2 points for OT win
1 point for tie if OT solves nothing

get rid of the shootout, or enforce playoff rules and make them play til a win.

I'd love this but the players' union will never let it happen.

CuseJetsFan83
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd love this but the players' union will never let it happen.

well thats why they should just enforce the tie then. that should be the only motivation to not tie is the extra point for a win and 0 for a loss

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Every game should be the same number of points.

My personal preference would be to just bring back ties. Every game is 2 points, 2 for win (reg or OT), 1 each for tie, **** you if you lose, even in OT.

Failing that, I'd make every game 3 points- 3 for regulation win, 0 for regulation loss, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss.

I hate the illogical "A game is worth 2 points in the standings, unless it takes more than 60 minutes to get a winner. Then, for some reason, it's worth 3."

I think we need to get rid of a point for any kind of loss. Teams play for OT just to guarentee the 1 point just like Washington and Florida tongiht.

SkateZilla
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
1. Change the number of games from 82 to 76. Players are playing games too tired and it shows in the quality. Teams are playing too many back-to-back games especially against someone who hasn't the night before.

the AHL did it, they eliminated all the 4 games in 5 nights and 3 games in 4 nights off every teams schedule.

AHL also claimed Player Safety as a main reason.

Change the point system to 3 pts for a regular win, 2 for OT win and 1 for SO win...No points for losing, you lost, you don't get a point. I know people will say it wouldn't affect the current standings but it would affect how teams play the game which would affect the current standings if they were played with point system in tact.

Winning in Overtime and the shootout should be the same. they should both only being 1 pt, Teams should be motivated still to win in OT instead of SO because of the ROW Tie breaker rule.

2 Points for a Win, 1 Point for OT Win, 1 Point for SO Win, Zero Points for Any type of Loss.

If they dont want ties,
I still would eliminate the shootout and replace with a PowerPlay Possession series:
Which takes an event of individual talent and turns it more into a Team effort.

Home team chooses who has the Power Play Possession First,
Each team gets a 1 Minute 5 on 4 Power Play, The Possession End if A Team Scores (PP or SH) or At the End of 1 Minute,
If both teams score, they move to a 2nd round, and so on.
Pucks are Placed at the red line, if SH team clears, PP Team takes puck from the red line.
No Line Changes during the 1 minute Possession.
Players In the Penalty box are NOT eligible to be used in the Possessions until their penalty time is done (so if they get a 2 minute minor at the end of OT, they aren't eligible for 2 possession rounds.)

If the shorthanded Team scores a Short Handed Goal its Automatic Win for that team.
A. If Short Handed team scored on their PP Posession and Scores a Short handed goal, they win the round 2-0.
B. If Short handed team doesn’t score on their PP Posession and Scores a shorthanded goal, they win the round 1-0
C. if Short handed team scores Before their PP Posession they win round 1-0.

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
the AHL did it, they eliminated all the 4 games in 5 nights and 3 games in 4 nights off every teams schedule.

AHL also claimed Player Safety as a main reason.

Winning in Overtime and the shootout should be the same. they should both only being 1 pt, Teams should be motivated still to win in OT instead of SO because of the ROW Tie breaker rule.

2 Points for a Win, 1 Point for OT Win, 1 Point for SO Win, Zero Points for Any type of Loss.

I'm thinking the OT would be more exciting because of the thought of 2 points instead of 1. Teams don't worry about the ROW tie breaker, they worry about points. Use points to decide who is better, not some stupid tie breaker.

OpIv37
04-05-2012, 01:01 PM
I think we need to get rid of a point for any kind of loss. Teams play for OT just to guarentee the 1 point just like Washington and Florida tongiht.

I think the 3 for a regulation win would counteract that. Think about it: if Florida could get 3 for a reg win over Washington tonight, they could effectively end it. Only getting 2 while giving Wash 1 would allow them to stick around.

Going to OT would guarantee 1 point. Regulation win would guarantee 3. That should be enough motivation to keep teams from playing for OT.

But, I agree that getting rid of a point for a loss is the best option. I just think that the 3 point version is more likely to be acceptable to the NHL and the players' union.

YardRat
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I think the game is pretty populatar as it is.

YardRat
04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Seriously though...

1. Change the number of games from 82 to 76.

I'm OK with that.

2. Take out the first row of seats in every arena, making the ice surface bigger.

I would think that would be hellaciously expensive. Going to an ice size closer to Olympic proportions isn't a new idea, but I'd be concerned about the cost to retro-fit every arena to accommodate a larger rink.

3. Change the point system to 3 pts for a regular win, 2 for OT win and 1 for SO win...No points for losing, you lost, you don't get a point.

Not opposed to changing the points system, but can you imagine some of the scenario's at the end of the season with teams letting in goals when they have the lead to get to OT because they need three points to gain ground in the standings? I guess the balancing factor of getting zilch if you lose might be OK, but...

Adding #4, really think they should consider automatic icing.

Cali512
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
The final month of hockey should just be OTs, no shootouts. I think playing a close game that you need to win in a skills competition is stupid. But that would also be with a lesser schedule because players would be exaustad

Mski
04-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Adding #4, really think they should consider automatic icing.i dont like that at all, i think the best way to handle that is to take the red line out of the game all together, and move the icing lines to the defensive blue line

Adding #5: get rid of the instigator penalty

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Not opposed to changing the points system, but can you imagine some of the scenario's at the end of the season with teams letting in goals when they have the lead to get to OT because they need three points to gain ground in the standings? I guess the balancing factor of getting zilch if you lose might be OK, but...

Adding #4, really think they should consider automatic icing.

Why would teams let in goals to get to OT? You would only get 2pts for an OT and 3 for a regular win in my suggestion. You should go back and read (stop checking for grammar) what I wrote. Teams would have to go all out to get the 3pts they need to climb the standings.

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
The final month of hockey should just be OTs, no shootouts. I think playing a close game that you need to win in a skills competition is stupid. But that would also be with a lesser schedule because players would be exaustad

You have to keep the rules the same through out the regular season.

YardRat
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Why would teams let in goals to get to OT? You would only get 2pts for an OT and 3 for a regular win in my suggestion. You should go back and read (stop checking for grammar) what I wrote. Teams would have to go all out to get the 3pts they need to climb the standings.

I'm sorry :ill:

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm sorry :ill:

Whoa....I'm going to have to quote you on this.

YardRat
04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Whoa....I'm going to have to quote you on this.

You have to admit...it's damn funny and I wouldn't be doing my job if I just let the 'populatar' thingie slide.

djjimkelly
04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
2. Take out the first row of seats in every arena, making the ice surface bigger. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger. Give them room to move and we'll see more offense. My concern would be if this makes the game faster and bringing up the concussion issue. Make the ice surface bigger and perhaps bring back no two line passes.

\

they do that the game would be wicked

Cali512
04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
they do that the game would be wicked

Ya, and the concussions not as big of an issue because you will have more time to react.

SkateZilla
04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
2 line passes are dumb and it was suggested by a goalie that faced breakaways everynight.

SabreEleven
04-05-2012, 06:35 PM
You have to admit...it's damn funny and I wouldn't be doing my job if I just let the 'populatar' thingie slide.

I didn't even see that typo I did until I got home...