Sulzer
Miller
Enroth

Maybe:

Gerbe - needs to up his production after injury filled bad year
Leino - needs to show the puck possesion he had late in the season
Tropp - like his grit, wouldn't hurt to show some more offense
Stafford - if a good player or really high draft pick could be had, bye bye
Leopold - played much better down the stretch, but you only need so many offensive defensmen

Would like to see gone:

Roy - has talent but is a second line center and seems to take too many plays off
Kaleta - can't stay healthy and is a penalty magnet
Sekera - huge defensive liability

SkateZilla
04-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Definite

Tyler Ennis
Marcus Foligno
Cody Hodgson
Pominville (I don't know why I always put an extra M
Vanek
Myers
Ehrhoff
McNabb
Regehr
Sulzer
Miller
Enroth

Maybe:

Gerbe - needs to up his production after injury filled bad year
Leino - needs to show the puck possesion he had late in the season
Tropp - like his grit, wouldn't hurt to show some more offense
Stafford - if a good player or really high draft pick could be had, bye bye
Leopold - played much better down the stretch, but you only need so many offensive defensmen

Would like to see gone:

Roy - has talent but is a second line center and seems to take too many plays off
Kaleta - can't stay healthy and is a penalty magnet
Sekera - huge defensive liability

Goodbye Leino, 4.5 Mill
Goodbye Boyes, 4.0 Mill
Goodbye Sekera, 2.75 Mill
Goodbye Leopold, 3.0 Mill
Goodbye Roy, 4.0 MIll
Thats 18 Million in Cap Space that can be used to bring in decent priced replacements w/ heart.

Keep:
Ennis
Folingo
Hodgson
Pominville
Vanek
Gerbe
Stafford
Myers
Ehrhoff
McNabb
Regehr
Sulzer
Miller
Enroth

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Gerbe - Adam - Tropp

Myers - Regehr
Erhoff - Sulzer
McNabb - Call up/off Seasong Aqc.

OpIv37
04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Goodbye Leino, 4.5 Mill
Goodbye Boyes, 4.0 Mill
Goodbye Sekera, 2.75 Mill
Goodbye Leopold, 3.0 Mill
Goodbye Roy, 4.0 MIll
Thats 18 Million in Cap Space that can be used to bring in decent priced replacements w/ heart.

Boyes is gone- he's a FA and they'll let him walk.

Slight problem with your strategy though: You'd be hard-pressed to find someone to take Leino's contract. I think Sekera might prove hard to move as well. His number is low but so is his performance.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Roy's contract either, but there seems to be some interest in him around the league so I'd jump on that.

OpIv37
04-06-2012, 11:16 AM
and you know what?

The regular season isn't over, the playoffs haven't started, and we are already talking about off-season moves.

**** this team.

rbochan
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Anyone should be gone if it brings improvement. Starting with the FO.

OpIv37
04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
if nothing else, Roy HAS to go. He's a microcosm for the problems with this team, and guys like Pominville, Ennis, and Vanek need to get the message that their jobs aren't safe if they don't play up to par.

PTI
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
WFT?!?!? Leopold was clearly the Sabres best defensive and offensive defensemen all season long, you guys are complely nutso. Took hardly any dumb penalties, had 10 goals, led the team by far in blocks, had a lot of ice time in a season where the defensemen were continually being changed out. he was pretty healthy and played tough.

He was the Defensemen of the year for the Sabres, and it was not even close.

trapezeus
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
sekera is streaky. he isn't good when asked to be on first pairing. he's a good defensemen. i wouldn't part with him at $2MM a year.

agree on kaleta. he can't get on the ice and stay on the ice. either he is injured or he gets called for breathing.

boyes is gone.
vanek is not on the Do Not Touch list. the offer has to be great. but regardless of what you get for him (since you most likely are getting a winger), you need a top line center.

Roy needs to go. trade him for whatever the best offer is. don't set a price and try to get there. ask around and take whatever is the best offer. this team was a playoff team without him and not a playoff team with him.

From march to April, we played a bunch of teams at the bottom or struggling at the time...and we won mostly 1 goal games.

Win
car
Boston
Ott
Mon
col
Florida (a bottom team in a bad conference)
tampa
montreal
NYR (not a bad team, actually one of the few good teams that we beat with a good game)
Min
Wash
Pit (not a bad team and we just chased them the entire game trying to stay in it.)
Toronto (we lost)
Toronto (we almost lost and gave up 5 goals)
Philly (not a bad team, but without their stars and admittedly looking past us to get to pitt)

that 20-7-whatever record needs to look at game i listed above, we were 9-5-2 against struggling or bottom feeder teams. It aint the injuries.

SabreEleven
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
and you know what?

The regular season isn't over, the playoffs haven't started, and we are already talking about off-season moves.

**** this team.

Are you talking about the Bills or Sabres?

OpIv37
04-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Are you talking about the Bills or Sabres?

I said that in another thread today- I feel like I'm talking about the Bills and not the Sabres.

Dammit I'm pissed.

And it would be more tolerable if we lost out to any team other than the Caps. Now I have to deal with all the asshats "rocking the red" even though they could care less about the Caps 3 weeks ago when it looked like they'd miss the playoffs.

Crisis
04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll never understand how Sekera gets all this hate. Guy has had a great year overall.

trapezeus
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
He's just streaky. and when he was playing well after trade dealine, everyone was like, "thank god we didn't send him packing."

he's not really ready for the rigors of 1st D line pairing. and when he sucked it was cause he was thrown into that roll.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
and you know what?

**** this team.

Oh please, there is one game left. At least it wasn't over a month ago.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Sekera is Kalinin. Avoids contact at all times, can be really good moving the puck, and other times.

I think some people have forgotten what a defenseman is. I know Darcy has. See they are supposed to help keep the puck out of the net and clear the front of the net so that the goalie can see. If you have three offensive defensemen on the team, they aren't helping in either of those categories much.

trapezeus
04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
last couple games it was the forwards, namely the centers, who just dropped their positioning in front of the net and let opponents get wide open. defensemen were defending.

the problems on this team is with the forwards.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Did you see the game vs the Leafs? Three goals from guys standing right in front of the net? I'm not saying the forwards are without blame, but teams come into the Buffalo zone with no fear of getting checked unless it is by Regehr. They skate around the zone practically unmolested mostly.

It's like they are taught to keep the puck to the outside. Let them keep it, but don't let them get inside. Like a cornerback in football, you can only chase for so long before someone gets open.

PTI
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Did you see the game vs the Leafs? Three goals from guys standing right in front of the net? I'm not saying the forwards are without blame, but teams come into the Buffalo zone with no fear of getting checked unless it is by Regehr. They skate around the zone practically unmolested mostly.

It's like they are taught to keep the puck to the outside. Let them keep it, but don't let them get inside. Like a cornerback in football, you can only chase for so long before someone gets open.

2 of them were Sulzer just standing there and doing nothing.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2012, 08:42 PM
2 of them were Sulzer just standing there and doing nothing.
Um, no. The first three goals were scored right in front of Sekera. One goal Sulzer did try to lift the guy's stick but Stafford let the guy pick up the puck skate in and wait long enough for the guy to grt into position. Another goal Sulzer chased the guy al the way around the net to the front where he finally got a good screen and scored. Kind of why I think they are taught to not take them out.

Crisis
04-07-2012, 12:33 AM
If Leopold is your best defensive player, your team ****ing sucks.........................

Good thing he wasn't.

Sekera, Hoff, and Myers all had better years. So Leopold is exactly what he was... a serviceable, veteran top 4 defenseman.

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the top four defencemen next year will be:
Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff and Mcnabb

SabreEleven
04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
In that order?

chernobylwraiths
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
In that order?
Probably not, but those pairings.

YardRat
04-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Gerbe - Adam - Tropp

Myers - Regehr
Erhoff - Sulzer
McNabb - Call up/off Seasong Aqc.

I'm liking this, but you need a fourth line.

Lieno / Center (Call up/off Seasong Aqc./Gaustad) / Off Seasong Aqc. with some grit.

SkateZilla
04-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Boyes is gone- he's a FA and they'll let him walk.

Slight problem with your strategy though: You'd be hard-pressed to find someone to take Leino's contract. I think Sekera might prove hard to move as well. His number is low but so is his performance.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Roy's contract either, but there seems to be some interest in him around the league so I'd jump on that.

Mr. whatever it takes to win a cup can buy him out and send him packing.

SkateZilla
04-07-2012, 06:31 PM
and you know what?

**** this team.

now I know i can send the team these Buffalo Sabres Golf Clubs I found online.

Crisis
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
When it's all said and done I doubt Luke Adam spends more time at center than wing in his career.

Night Train
04-08-2012, 07:35 AM
I wasn't a big Leopold fan but having attended many games in person this season, he was clearly the best Defensemen we had. He was supposed to be more of an offensive guy but he was throwing himself in front of shots and making many good plays back on D.

Roy should be trade bait. Sekera and Weber should never see the ice again in a Sabres uniform. Too many mistakes and the Sabres are deep on the D line.

Erhoff and Sulzer seemed to click as a pair on D. With Erhoff, Sulzer hesitated and it cost him. McNabb deserves a full time spot back there.

Foligno and Tropp both played well. Tropp is fearless in the corners like Foligno and the points will come. They can take the place of Boyes and Ellis on the roster. McCormick and Kaleta may be in trouble. Adam needed more seasoning and could be ready.

Owner needs to open his eyes and quit being so stubborn about his loyalty to Lindy and Darcy. A fresh set of eyes is needed to re-energize this roster and get the current underachievers to play better.

chernobylwraiths
04-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I saw that Sulzer is an unrestricted free agent.

PTI
04-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Good thing he wasn't.

Sekera, Hoff, and Myers all had better years. So Leopold is exactly what he was... a serviceable, veteran top 4 defenseman.

Look at their numbers across the board, look the games played, hands down Leoplod was the best all around Sabres defensemen last season.

Historian
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I would get rid of anyone who was on the ice when Miller got the snot knocked out of him against Boston.

chernobylwraiths
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I would get rid of anyone who was on the ice when Miller got the snot knocked out of him against Boston.

That list would include Myers.

trapezeus
04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
that leafs game, there was the goal that ennis assisted. he threw a wild pass to the top of the point, then he flew to the point leaving his man in the slot. there was a defenseman in the corner on the puck and there was a defensemen in front of the net with two guys. one of those guys is the center's responsibility.

rbochan
04-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Yup.

Historian
04-10-2012, 06:29 AM

Okay, HE can stay...as long as he writes, "Thou shalt not be a pussy on the ice" a thousand times.

Mski
04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Okay, Ennis is now my favorite Sabre... got to meet him last night during some Dyngus Day festivities.... Vanek made me like him more too, when he was asked about Ruff being too hard on the team, his response was, im used to it, just have to get over it and get better..... Roy made me dislike him even more, whining and crying when asked the same question about Ruff

SkateZilla
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Okay, HE can stay...as long as he writes, "Thou shalt not be a pussy on the ice" a thousand times.

how many fights has he gotten into since then though?