PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro is the pick.

cpearl
04-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Levitre-Wood-DeCastro would be the best interior line in the NFL for 10 years.

Obviously, this is just a guess, but Buddy loves BPA and I think this is the pick. Reiff is more of a RT and the draft is deep with second round WRs.

X-Era
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Obviously, this is just a guess, but Buddy loves BPA and I think this is the pick. Reiff is more of a RT and the draft is deep with second round WRs.Even if DeCastro is the next Hutch I'd rather not spend a top 10 pick on a G. I know BPA is BPA but it's still a G.

better days
04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Even if DeCastro is the next Hutch I'd rather not spend a top 10 pick on a G. I know BPA is BPA but it's still a G.

I heard DeCastro talked about as the best OL player in the draft last night on NFL Network, including Kalil. Someone said he would move him to Center & he would be a Pro Bowl player there for the next 10 years.

As time gets closer to the draft, the more I am liking either DeCastro or Floyd at #10.

Philagape
04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
After seeing what Levitre did on the left side last year, I want more of that. Look at the leap Fred made to the next level; that was because of the line.
According to ESPN splits, Fred's average was 5.6 on the left side but just 4.0 on the right. Let's make it so that the running game is a monster anywhere on the field, which will open up the passing game more. And he's great in pass protection, too. They'll own the middle of the field.
I'd be happy with Floyd too, but DeCastro is the kind of guy you build around. That's what the draft is for. You plug holes with free agency.

acehole
04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Even if DeCastro is the next Hutch I'd rather not spend a top 10 pick on a G. I know BPA is BPA but it's still a G.

buddy said as much....agreed

gonzo1105
04-06-2012, 11:30 AM
What people need to remember is that Urbik, Rinehart, and Levitre are all FA's after this year. Obviously, we are going to try to lock up Levitre but Urbik might want too much and we aren't going to keep all 3. I would venture to guess we keep Levitre and Rinehart and let Urbik go. You have to look at the future as well as the present and DeCastro would fit in at RG for the next 10-15. We could then still take an OT like Bobby Massie in the 2nd. Ruben Brown was pretty good and he was the 13th pick way back when

Philagape
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM
You have to look at the future as well as the present

I really wish more people would remember this.

The draft is not for plugging this year's holes.

Ed
04-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't particularly love the idea of taking a G at #10, but if DeCastro is truly another Hutchinson it would be hard to complain about getting a legitimate year in and year out all-pro player regardless of position. It would be nice to be able to run the ball with even more authority. And if we're going to use more wildcat, having a good interior is key. Plus, it's not like you don't get any pass rush up the middle collapsing the pocket.

Ultimately, I can't see Nix using a high pick on a G. They seem pretty happy with their interior, but Levitre, Urbik, and Rinehart are all scheduled to be UFA's after this season so who knows.

ddaryl
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Woods injuries are mounting as well.. How many more times can this guy rebound.

DeCastro might be a great pick up to insure ourselves... and as mentioned above we have some FA's that are probably going to leave next season

Cali512
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Whats funny is if we had the 9 pick we wouldnt even think about it. No one picks a guard in the top 10. QBs, WRs, OTs, DEs, and CBs are meant for the top 10. In the first round you look at each player on our team and the top 10 and see who would provide a bigger upgrade. Decastro would take a B+ position to a A+, but really whats that gonna do? Meanwhile we have Jones, and then 2 WRs who one will fall out of the top 9. So Jones is like F, and im going to assume as top 10 picks, Floyd and Blackmon will upgrade it to a B to B+ immediatly.

Philagape
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Decastro would take a B+ position to a A+, but really whats that gonna do?

Ask Fred Jackson what Levitre's improvement meant to him.

better days
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Whats funny is if we had the 9 pick we wouldnt even think about it. No one picks a guard in the top 10. QBs, WRs, OTs, DEs, and CBs are meant for the top 10. In the first round you look at each player on our team and the top 10 and see who would provide a bigger upgrade. Decastro would take a B+ position to a A+, but really whats that gonna do? Meanwhile we have Jones, and then 2 WRs who one will fall out of the top 9. So Jones is like F, and im going to assume as top 10 picks, Floyd and Blackmon will upgrade it to a B to B+ immediatly.

The problem is both Blackmon & Floyd may be gone before the Bills pick. The good news is this is supposed to be a year with MANY GOOD WRs.

I would rather draft a potential Pro Bowl Guard/Center at #10 than a mediocre OT.

Raptor
04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Id rather have a good WR or CB than a great OG

ddaryl
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM

I would rather have a great OL that can't be beat, and have a dominant running game as well as allowing the QB plenty of time to throw and give good WR's plenty of time to find that seam.

better days
04-06-2012, 01:17 PM

At #10, I would take a great WR over a great OG. The only great WRs in this draft are Blackmon & Floyd. And how great are they? Are they Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson GREAT? Or just very good?

DeCastro is being talked about as the best OG to come out in years. For his position, he is being talked about like Luck is at QB. It has been said he can play both Center & OT as well as Guard.

I would much rather draft DeCastro than a "good" WR at #10. There may be good WRs even into the 4th & 5th rnd in this draft.

Raptor
04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I would rather have a great OL that can't be beat, and have a dominant running game as well as allowing the QB plenty of time to throw and give good WR's plenty of time to find that seam.

and DeCastro is that much of an upgrade over the RG's we have now that he would make that possible?

Id rather have a WR that doesn't need the help of a great OL to allow him the time to get open. Id rather have a WR that can take over a game and light up a scoreboard then as another poster put it taking a position from a B+ to an A

A WR or CB will have a far more greater impact on getting us where we want to go than 1 OG ever will and thats not even close to debatable

As Bill Polian said "you don't draft Guards in the top 10" and "only if a LT can start day one"

Philagape
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
The O-line makes receivers better (via the QB and running game) more than vice-versa. And yes, DeCastro would be that big an upgrade over Urbik.

Calvin Johnson had a Calvin Johnson year on a team that didn't win a game all season.

Skooby
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd rather have a player(s) we pick early in the draft that solidifies one spot on the team versus a total F-up that we end up letting go to another team after training him to play well.

better days
04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
and DeCastro is that much of an upgrade over the RG's we have now that he would make that possible?

Id rather have a WR that doesn't need the help of a great OL to allow him the time to get open. Id rather have a WR that can take over a game and light up a scoreboard then as another poster put it taking a position from a B+ to an A

A WR or CB will have a far more greater impact on getting us where we want to go than 1 OG ever will and thats not even close to debatable

As Bill Polian said "you don't draft Guards in the top 10" and "only if a LT can start day one"

The general rule is you don't draft Guards in the top 10. There is an EXCEPTION to EVERY rule. DeCastro is that exception.

The only WRs worth drafting in the top 10 are Blackmon & Floyd. So you would rather draft a mediocre WR at #10 than a likely Pro Bowl guard?

If so you may as well draft Reiff. There are many more "good" WRs in this draft than "good" OTs.

ddaryl
04-06-2012, 01:55 PM

you opinion has been noted.. I don't agree that a WR or CB would necessarily have a greater impact.. They could or couldn't.. it goes either way. Although I could easily see us drafting one at #10 just the same.. It's not going to bother me if we did.. Just like I wouldn't be bothered at all if DeCastro was our pick at #10 or even Reiff

If DeCastro is that good... then I don't care what Polian has to say

this game is won and lost in the trenches.. I will never complain about major upgrades on the OL and DL

Raptor
04-06-2012, 02:13 PM
you opinion has been noted.. I don't agree that a WR or CB would necessarily have a greater impact.. They could or couldn't.. it goes either way. Although I could easily see us drafting one at #10 just the same.. It's not going to bother me if we did.. Just like I wouldn't be bothered at all if DeCastro was our pick at #10 or even Reiff

If DeCastro is that good... then I don't care what Polian has to say

this game is won and lost in the trenches.. I will never complain about major upgrades on the OL and DL

This is a game won at the QB position. NONE of the recent SB champs had anything close to a dominant OL and there play at the OG spot sure as **** wasn't even in the top 10 reason they hoisted that trophy

better days
04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
This is a game won at the QB position. NONE of the recent SB champs had anything close to a dominant OL and there play at the OG spot sure as **** wasn't even in the top 10 reason they hoisted that trophy

Well, Luck & RGIII will both be gone before the Bills pick. I guess the Bills should just pass on the pick then & not take anyone.

Philagape
04-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Off the top of my head, the Giants and Saints both had All-Pro guards.

And the Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick. Think maybe he needs more help than Brees/Rodgers/Manning?

Raptor
04-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Well, Luck & RGIII will both be gone before the Bills pick. I guess the Bills should just pass on the pick then & not take anyone.

Right because thats what I meant...So far over your head...

Raptor
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Off the top of my head, the Giants and Saints both had All-Pro guards.

and Levitre is nearly at that level so where good

And the Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick. Think maybe he needs more help than Brees/Rodgers/Manning?

and an OG is more help over a WR when the IOL isn't even close to being a problem here?

mjt328
04-06-2012, 02:54 PM
There are many reasons I would hate us picking DeCastro.

1) Although he is not a reach when it comes to TALENT, he is a reach when it comes to POSITION. Very good interior linemen are always easy to find in the middle rounds, and there are always good ones available on the free agent market.

2) We already have a Pro Bowl caliber guard in Andy Levitre. We already have a Pro Bowl caliber center in Eric Wood (if he can stay healthy). We have a young-solid starter in Kraig Urbik and a decent backup in Chad Rhinehart. Letting veteran talent walk and wasting valuable draft picks on their replacements is what got us in the mess we have been in for 10+ years.

3) Who cares about having the league's best interior line, when we have a big hole at the most important spot on the offensive line - LEFT TACKLE. I swear, once Sandra Bullock started talking about the importance of protecting the quarterback's blindside, all of a sudden football fans wanted to act like it's NOT important.

tampabay25690
04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Obviously, this is just a guess, but Buddy loves BPA and I think this is the pick. Reiff is more of a RT and the draft is deep with second round WRs.

NO WAY.
Why waste a pick on a Guard that early.
Urbik has done a great job and the interior part of the OL is the easiest to fill then your Tackles.
This team is not WEAK in the middle.
Would hate the pick.

ServoBillieves
04-06-2012, 03:04 PM
If we really are going BPA, DeCastro would not surprise me whatsoever. I'd actually be happy with the pick.

WR is really deep (as stated countless times) this year and can easily be taken care of in the 2nd through 4th. Personally I would be happy with Claiborne or DeCastro in the first with Mohamed Sanu out of Rutgers in the second if he fell to us. Sanu, or Marvin McNutt. And yes, I would buy that jersey.

kingJofNYC
04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Wouldn't care to be honest, Urbik and Levitre are FAs after this season, so is Freddie. Hard to resign everyone, I'd hate the pick more if our guards were locked up with long term deals but they're not. And after seeing what the Bucs paid for Nicks, I don't want give a guard 9m a year.

Levitre is going to get paid.

Philagape
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
and an OG is more help over a WR when the IOL isn't even close to being a problem here?

Their guards are actually pretty analogous to their receivers.
Levitre ---> Johnson
Urbik ---> Nelson and the rest

Raptor
04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Their guards are actually pretty analogous to their receivers.
Levitre ---> Johnson
Urbik ---> Nelson and the rest

Urbik is far FAR less a hole than a #2 WR is the fact that you mention it as "Nelson and the rest" proves my point even further.

We don't have a starting caliber #2 WR anywhere on this roster Urbik is a starting caliber OG

the WR position will always be more valuable than the OG

and People forget that when looking at the BPA you factor the position they play into that

ddaryl
04-06-2012, 04:00 PM

the OL keeps the QB from getting hit/hurried/sacked.

the DL is instrumental in keeping opposing O's off the filed and geting the ball back into the hands of that QB

your argument is WEAK... no QB is great if they are rushed, hit, and sacked a lot

Philagape
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Urbik is far FAR less a hole than a #2 WR is the fact that you mention it as "Nelson and the rest" proves my point even further.

We don't have a starting caliber #2 WR anywhere on this roster Urbik is a starting caliber OG

the WR position will always be more valuable than the OG

and People forget that when looking at the BPA you factor the position they play into that

Urbik is a starter by default. He's competent.
Likewise, their receivers were competent, and the passing game was very productive until Fitz's injury. In a spread offense, it doesn't matter much who the "No. 2" receiver is.
Receivers benefit from the system and QB, while linemen make others look better.

ParanoidAndroid
04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Speaking of the future, you have to think about howm much $$$ you're willing to invest in an interior O-line. A #10 pick salary, locking up Levitre and trying to keep some depth is going to put a strain on the cap when you're missing starting quality OT, WR, OLB, and CB.

Preach BPA all you want, but I think a guard/center had better be the next coming of Kent Hull if he's the 10th pick, and you better come to the realization that you're going to lose one or both of your soid to pro-bowl quality, established o-linemen in FA in order to keep him.

Extremebillsfan247
04-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Obviously, this is just a guess, but Buddy loves BPA and I think this is the pick. Reiff is more of a RT and the draft is deep with second round WRs. DeCastro has an outside chance, so I wouldn't rule it out entirely. For injury reasons, the Bills seem to like interior offensive lineman who have the ability to seamlessly play multiple positions, ie Levitre. I don't know if DeCastro can do that or not. But, it's something to take into consideration when thinking whether or not DeCastro could be the pick at 10.

stuckincincy
04-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Speaking of the future, you have to think about howm much $$$ you're willing to invest in an interior O-line. A #10 pick salary, locking up Levitre and trying to keep some depth is going to put a strain on the cap when you're missing starting quality OT, WR, OLB, and CB.

Preach BPA all you want, but I think a guard/center had better be the next coming of Kent Hull if he's the 10th pick, and you better come to the realization that you're going to lose one or both of your soid to pro-bowl quality, established o-linemen in FA in order to keep him.

AFAIK, the cap is going to continue to rise. I have a vague memory of a big jump in '14.

So it might come down to how much actual cash a club wants to pay. I'd guess there will be some clubs that will wish vets well, and restock with cheaper rookies.

I nominate CIN to become the NFL equivalent of the Pgh. Pirates. :pimped:

better days
04-06-2012, 06:31 PM
There are many reasons I would hate us picking DeCastro.

1) Although he is not a reach when it comes to TALENT, he is a reach when it comes to POSITION. Very good interior linemen are always easy to find in the middle rounds, and there are always good ones available on the free agent market.

2) We already have a Pro Bowl caliber guard in Andy Levitre. We already have a Pro Bowl caliber center in Eric Wood (if he can stay healthy). We have a young-solid starter in Kraig Urbik and a decent backup in Chad Rhinehart. Letting veteran talent walk and wasting valuable draft picks on their replacements is what got us in the mess we have been in for 10+ years.

3) Who cares about having the league's best interior line, when we have a big hole at the most important spot on the offensive line - LEFT TACKLE. I swear, once Sandra Bullock started talking about the importance of protecting the quarterback's blindside, all of a sudden football fans wanted to act like it's NOT important.

What got the Bills in this mess the last 10 years was drafting players HIGH that had little to no talent usually because of the position they played.

The ONLY LT worth the #10 pick is Kalil & I doubt he will be there at #10. The Bills have a hole in the middle of the line because Wood has not been able to stay healthy.

If the Bills draft DeCastro & Wood stays healthy GREAT, the Bills have depth in the middle of the OL. If however Wood is injured AGAIN, the Bills will be covered.

The Bills got too little for Lynch IMO, but Hairston is at least decent. Most of the players drafted HIGH in the last 10 years were not worth anything to trade, nor were they worth keeping.