PDA

View Full Version : Protecting the QB's blind side

mjt328
04-06-2012, 03:25 PM
There was a time when the majority of football fans understood POSITIONAL IMPORTANCE.

I don't know if it's because of the rise of fantasy football or because of writers on the Bleacher Report or what, but I just don't think people "get" the concept anymore.

Every year, there are arguments on this very message board with people claiming you don't need a good quarterback to succeed. Because, you know... Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl one time.

Now, there are people pushing for us to draft a GUARD at #10, despite a glaring hole at Left Tackle. We cannot make this mistake. Left Tackle is the most important position on the offensive line, and the possibly the second most important position on the team - after quarterback. For those that don't "get" that concept, here is a simple breakdown:

> When a right-handed quarterback (such as Ryan Fitzpatrick) drops back and prepares to throw, his back will be to the left side of the offensive line.

> This makes it very difficult (if not impossible) to see a pass rusher coming around the edge on the left side.

> If Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, Eric Wood or Andy Levitre misses their block, it will likely disrupt the play. However, Fitz might see it coming, prompting him to throw the ball away or tuck the ball tightly and take a sack.

> If Chris Hairston (or whoever is playing left tackle) misses his block, Fitz probably won't see it coming. This means a higher chance for a sack, a higher chance for a fumble and a higher chance for an injury.

This is why Left Tackles are MUCH MUCH MUCH more important than interior linemen. And it's why smart teams are willing to spend high picks on them, but will let guards and centers go until the mid rounds.

Philagape
04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
If there's a LT they think can step in and be a top-shelf short- and long-term answer, go for it. The guy has to be good enough.
You draft the player, not the position.

If QB is the most important position, why not just take the top QB left at 10? Unless you think Fitz can lead them to the SB?

Pinkerton Security
04-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Not sure who you're talking about saying we can win without a good QB...I havent seen that much.

And thanks for the lesson, Im pretty sure 95% of the people on this board know everything you said....what left tackle do you think fits the bill at #10?? drafting a LT just for the sake of drafting an LT is never a good idea, there has to be a player who can actually play the position well in order to draft one.

alohabillsfan
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
SPAM

mjt328
04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Not sure who you're talking about saying we can win without a good QB...I havent seen that much.

And thanks for the lesson, Im pretty sure 95% of the people on this board know everything you said....what left tackle do you think fits the bill at #10?? drafting a LT just for the sake of drafting an LT is never a good idea, there has to be a player who can actually play the position well in order to draft one.

I definitely agree. I was just going on a frustrated rant because of all the threads pushing for us to draft DeCastro.

There are obviously questions about Riley Reiff and Jonathan Martin, but I think both would be better picks at #10 than DeCastro. They might not be future All Pros, but the odds are pretty good that they will be solid starters for the next 7-10 years.

better days
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Well QB is the most important position on the entire team. Just as it is STUPID to draft a QB in the top 10 that is not worth a top 10 pick, it is just as stupid to draft an OT in the top 10 that is not worth a top 10 pick.

By ALL accounts, neither Reiff or Martin are worth a top 10 pick. If you can show me where more than one draft expert says they are, then I will change my mind, but I have not seen even one that said that myself.

YardRat
04-06-2012, 08:31 PM
You don't need a 'franchise' QB to succeed...There's a difference.

The Jokeman
04-06-2012, 09:46 PM
You don't need a 'franchise' QB to succeed...There's a difference.
I always say the word franchise comes first in the phrase franchise QB. In other words build the franchise and then "find" your QB.