PDA

View Full Version : Quinton Coples - Sports Science

BertSquirtgum
04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Would you be mad if the Bills picked Coples at 10?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7779137

Ed
04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't. I don't think Mark Andersen is any kind of sure thing at DE. He may not even still be on the team in a few years. And we don't really have any idea what to expect out of Merriman. And if Mario Williams gets hurt, then what? Plus, D-lineman constantly rotate so it's not like Coples would be sitting on the bench all year.

Buffalogic
04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd be happy to get Coples but would rather a receiver.

Luisito23
04-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Not my first choice, but I much rather have Coples than reach for a LT, or a QB.

Beebe
04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah that would be good for us.I vote yes.

DynaPaul
04-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I never get mad when we spend the pick on a lineman on either side of the team. Games are won in the trenches.

OpIv37
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
He looks like the real deal but it's a luxury we can't afford. Dl is already the strength of this team and we have big holes elsewhere.

BertSquirtgum
04-06-2012, 08:27 PM
If the Jags take Floyd I would rather the Bills draft Coples than reach.

TigerJ
04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't be thrilled, and before the Mario Williams and Mark Anderson signings I was one of his bigger apologists. My feelings are similar to Op's on Coples. He's a luxury the Bills can't really afford if they want to get this thing turned around this year. I think they are a good draft away from being a serious threat to make the playoffs. A good draft means getting a starter in round one, or at least that's an essential part of a good draft. I look at the Ourlads list of the top 32 players in the draft, and I'm seeing Riley Reiff listed at #8. I don't know that Ourlads is perfect in its evaluation, but they are a respected scouting service, and their opinion is proof that there is no consensus among evaluators that Reiff is a reach when the Bills pick. Michael Floyd, btw, is listed as the twelfth best player in the draft. That's not significant enough to be considered a reach. Coples, incidently, is listed at #10, two spots below Reiff.

I still think Coples has a good chance to be a solid player in the NFL, I'm just rethinking the issue of whether a value pick at #10 has to be a player who does not fill a need. If Buffalo can do both, I really hope they do.

HAMMER
04-06-2012, 09:36 PM
All day every day, if he is on the board it should be the pick IMO.

Akhippo
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I wouldnt be mad at all either. I would love to have a three deep rotation at DE and DT. Plus, if someone got hurt you would hopefully have a smaller dropoff.

Its just at 10, there are so many interchangeable options. Be it need or skill wise. The Bills could go OT, G, WR, DE, LB, CB and they would all fill a spot and all the players left also are somewhat on the same skill level.

Unlike past drafts, the Bills would have to pull another Whitner for me to be shocked at who they pick.

better days
04-07-2012, 03:25 AM
He looks like the real deal but it's a luxury we can't afford. Dl is already the strength of this team and we have big holes elsewhere.

Well, even though the DL is now a strength, Coples would get plenty of playing time even if nobody gets hurt.

I'm not a fan of using a high pick to fill holes with mediocre talent. Kalil is the only OT worth the #10 pick from the experts I have read & listened to.

Blackmon & Floyd are the only WRs with top 10 talent as well & they like Kalil could both be gone when the Bills pick.

I would rather see the Bills draft a potential impact player at #10 such as Coples, Floyd or DeCastro than someone that will never amount to much even if it fills a hole now.

You fill holes from the 2nd rnd down, not with a top 10 pick unless that pick has top 10 talent.

JCBills
04-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I think it would be a wasted pick.

It isn't like this is a can't-pass-up prospect. The production isn't there. He's the top DE in a not-so-great class. Even before the free agency additions I was iffy on picking Coples.

It would be one thing if they hadn't addresses the pass rush like they did, but that isn't the case. They turned the team's biggest weakness into a strength. This allows them flexibility in the draft, now having the ability to address other needs.

Also, the team has two LEs in Williams and Carrington.

If anything, they would be better off taking true RDE types with more burst and overall pass rushing ability. Those can be had in the 2nd or later.

Mark Anderson isn't the greatest, but he is more than serviceable. Address the remaining needs and then build from there.

better days
04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I think it would be a wasted pick.

It isn't like this is a can't-pass-up prospect. The production isn't there. He's the top DE in a not-so-great class. Even before the free agency additions I was iffy on picking Coples.

It would be one thing if they hadn't addresses the pass rush like they did, but that isn't the case. They turned the team's biggest weakness into a strength. This allows them flexibility in the draft, now having the ability to address other needs.

Also, the team has two LEs in Williams and Carrington.

If anything, they would be better off taking true RDE types with more burst and overall pass rushing ability. Those can be had in the 2nd or later.

Mark Anderson isn't the greatest, but he is more than serviceable. Address the remaining needs and then build from there.

So who do you want the Bills to draft at #10? Who has top 10 talent that fills a need?

Like I said if a player does not have top 10 talent, he should not be drafted in the top 10. You can fill a need with picks from the 2nd rnd down. Top 10 picks should be used on players that will make an impact for years to come.

I am not buying that Reiff or Martin are top 10 talent because all the experts I respect say they are not. That is the Bills biggest position of need but it will need to wait until the 2nd rnd to be filled IMO unless the Bills can trade back.

WR another position of need has Blackmon & Floyd as top 10 talent. If Floyd is available & he checks out OK off the field with the Bills I would be happy drafting him, but he may be gone when the Bills pick. Blackmon will most likely be gone.

DraftBoy
04-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Without even thinking about it, he's the ideal RDE who can work in rotation with Anderson and kick inside to DT on pass rush where he can be very effective.

JCBills
04-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Without even thinking about it, he's the ideal RDE who can work in rotation with Anderson and kick inside to DT on pass rush where he can be very effective.

Eh, if I see it in the league I'll believe it. I'm just not as high on the guy as most seem to be.

He's close to ideal, everything except for elite burst, but I guess I'm being picky. I just think they should address other areas before DE. Seeing them find a partner to move back with is my pick at #10.

I'm always weary on really high picks lol.

X-Era
04-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Eh, if I see it in the league I'll believe it. I'm just not as high on the guy as most seem to be.

He's close to ideal, everything except for elite burst, but I guess I'm being picky. I just think they should address other areas before DE. Seeing them find a partner to move back with is my pick at #10.

I'm always weary on really high picks lol. I'd be good with taking him but I have an issue with the guys intensity more than anything else. I really worry that he may take plays off and not live up to his potential.

But I'd be fine with the pick because he is so talented.

methos4ever
04-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd be good with taking him but I have an issue with the guys intensity more than anything else. I really worry that he may take plays off and not live up to his potential.

The one thing Coach Wannstedt has done over his career is motivate guys exactly like that. If anything, in a rotation such as the Bills' now, he'd have to produce in order to "keep up" with the rest of the linemen. Remember, at UNC he wasn't around guys like a Kyle or Dareus or Barnett as far as leadership and peer accountability as well.

YardRat
04-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I'd be all over Coples, but afraid that the team took care of that business with free agency.

Cali512
04-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Such an irrelevant task to make him do. Push a sled 3 yards and hit a ball? I usually like sports science but theyve done so much more

cookie G
04-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I'd be mad even if we didn't have Mario or Anderson.

Classic case of a guy with enormous potential who hasn't showed he knows how to play the game.

I don't think the 2-3 plays per game that he gets into the backfield make up for the 8-10 bad plays he makes per game.

He plays like a stats guy he doesn't even that much in the way of stats.

Always the possibility that someone can coach him up...but we've missed on too many 1st round picks in the decade to take that chance.

DraftBoy
04-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd be good with taking him but I have an issue with the guys intensity more than anything else. I really worry that he may take plays off and not live up to his potential.

You're going to have to help me with this and its not about you persay because Ive seen plenty of people make the argument.

Why is that Coples 2010 tape is ignored, and people refuse to mention the fact that he switched positions, and lost his head coach in a controversial way right before his senior season?

Im not excusing the guy but let's break down his numbers;
First Six Games: 22 Tackles, 3 TFL, 2.5 Sacks, 3 QBH
Last Seven Games: 33 Tackles, 12 TFL, 5 Sacks, 2 PBU, 3 FF, 4 QBH

The argument that Coples took plays off imo is a poor one when you look at the other factors. Should you let a coach being fired affect your game? No, but that whole team did. UNC was far more talented than the way they played last year.

X-Era
04-07-2012, 04:49 PM
You're going to have to help me with this and its not about you persay because Ive seen plenty of people make the argument.

Why is that Coples 2010 tape is ignored, and people refuse to mention the fact that he switched positions, and lost his head coach in a controversial way right before his senior season?

Im not excusing the guy but let's break down his numbers;
First Six Games: 22 Tackles, 3 TFL, 2.5 Sacks, 3 QBH
Last Seven Games: 33 Tackles, 12 TFL, 5 Sacks, 2 PBU, 3 FF, 4 QBH

The argument that Coples took plays off imo is a poor one when you look at the other factors. Should you let a coach being fired affect your game? No, but that whole team did. UNC was far more talented than the way they played last year.My comment comes from watching him. He would just go through the motions at times. Your right about the other issues. I always get leary of guys who take plays off. Kind of like Fairley. I'd have no problem with us taking him but I do worry about his drive.

DraftBoy
04-07-2012, 05:11 PM
My comment comes from watching him. He would just go through the motions at times. Your right about the other issues. I always get leary of guys who take plays off. Kind of like Fairley. I'd have no problem with us taking him but I do worry about his drive.

Were you worried about it coming into this season?

At times when we watch film we get too driven on one season or one game. We don't take into account what a player was able to do prior or after that point.

Much of that is due to lack of access, but its a question we must ask of every positive and negative attribute.